Why can't he find a record deal?

butley

I think it is because he wants complete artistic control or thereabouts and not because he asks for too much money. Record companies cannot resist sticking their two pence worth in. If artists were allowed to produce work without record company interference it would make the "creatives" at the label redundant. They would just be providing money and that would not sit well I guess.
I realise he is difficult and that is part of the charm. I think the recent comments prove he feels self or crowd funding are beneath him even though these options would be fruitful.
Am I rambling?

If its the fact, that morrissey can't get a record deal because he won't budge on his artistic view. Than i say way to go moz. Don't ever let anyone try to change the music that meant so much to so many people. Rather be without a deal for years that to turn himself to a moneymaking puppet.

The record deals did not interfere with the Smiths during the eighties. Look how big they became. I belive that the record companys interfere so much these days, because they know that it does not take to much for people to by records or songs anymore. They have figured out what teenagers want and know they want the money. During the eighties, ninties and etc young people were so dependant on music to save them in a way. Help them when others did not understand them. Its still like that to day but the majority of teenagers want danceable music, with kvasi-philosopichal and comforting messages. They are either about losing or loving someone, being alive, being rebels, getting over drug addiction or sex. Teenagers today get their comfort from other mediums like pouring it all out on social media.

The music companys in the eighties did not bother to interfere with the creative process so much, they did not know enough. Teenagers were too unknown terratory. They just concentrated on getting as big piece of the pie as possible. Marketing their acts would secure their share. Now thats not important anymore. They know what the teenagers what and their are damned if any artist thinks in another way. Luckily for them, there is millions of "get me famous at any deal" teenagers out there that don't care about the artistic values.

I hope i was not all to stereotypical

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse me for the long post and any grammer mistakes

Last edited by a moderator:
If you got the magic potion, why waste your time letting artist f*ck it up

I don't think that it's that he wants artistic control. He does, of course, but he's always had it and there's no reason for a record company not to want to let him have it. I think he probably wants a deal that, from a record company's perspective, goes too far in the direction of allowing him to change his mind about anything anytime he likes and to walk away whenever he feels like it. Given that he has a track-record of doing exactly that and of trying to even when he can't, it's probably understandable that he can't get a deal.

I'm not really slagging him off about it. It's up to him how he wants to approach the whole thing.

Someone (I can't remember the actual user's name now) pointed out that if he decided to set up his own label, he had no one to blame when things went wrong.

I think it's very plausible.

I don't think that it's that he wants artistic control. He does, of course, but he's always had it and there's no reason for a record company not to want to let him have it..

Well making money and getting into the charts are good reasons. The music companys don't want an act that won't make huge amounts of money. Artistic licence comes second. They want an act they can gurantee gets in the the billboard list. Rather katy perrys dim charttoppers than morrisseys records that gets bought by a much smaller group.
Morrissey is still big, but they want bigger.

But i'm sure that morrisseys habit of being a bit unreliable has scared them a bit. But thats not the reason. They deal with nicki minajs, Mariah careys, gagas and mileys diva behaviour on a daily basis

Well making money and getting into the charts are good reasons. The music companys don't want an act that won't make huge amounts of money. Artistic licence comes second. They want an act they can gurantee gets in the the billboard list. Rather katy perrys dim charttoppers than morrisseys records that gets bought by a much smaller group.

But i'm sure that morrisseys habit of being a bit unreliable has scared them a bit. But thats not the reason. They deal with nicki minajs, Mariah careys, gagas and mileys diva behaviour on a daily basis

I bet Alain knows Katy Perry. He could hook Morrissey up. All her singles go to number one in the charts.

He doesn't have a record deal because he doesn't want to do the things that sell records. While we will be a couple different copies of an album he still doesn't sell much. If he sold as many albums as he did when he made his comeback he'd likely have a deal without a doubt. But he won't promote, won't do interviews on television. Why should they give him money if he won't play ball.

I bet Alain knows Katy Perry. He could hook Morrissey up. All her singles go to number one in the charts.

They can do a duett. katy Perry feat. The pope of mope in "top of katys sugerpops"
First concert they will do together will be in the Hollywood forever cementery with a zombie Tony Wilson presenting.

If you look at any record company's roster, there are plenty of artists with deals who don't sell as well as Morrissey. That isn't the problem.

If you look at any record company's roster, there are plenty of artists with deals who don't sell as well as Morrissey. That isn't the problem.

And they get dropped eventually. The record company give them a record deal because the have the chance to mold their music to charttoppers more than morrisseys. Plus, youth is on their side. If they don't have hits they will also be dropped. Music companys give and take record deal on a daily basis

And they get dropped eventually. The record company give them a record deal because the have the chance to mold their music to charttoppers more than morrisseys. Plus, youth is on their side. If they don't have hits they will also be dropped. Music companys give and take record deal on a daily basis

So why does Johnny Marr have a deal with a major? Manic Street Preachers? Paul Weller? Whitesnake? The Charlatans? Even Def Leppard are signed to a major label. It's not because any of them piss all over Morrissey saleswize. WPINOYB was the ninth best selling album in the world the week it was released.

I think he asks to some specific and usual things which put record companies off. He paid for the recording of WPINOYB himself and owned the rights. So maybe he has demands about his percentage cut and how the album is promoted and on what formats. Plus he has burned his bridges with many of the majors and has quite a reputation for Dalling out with record companies and then bad mouthing them everywhere.

So why does Johnny Marr have a deal with a major? Manic Street Preachers? Paul Weller? Whitesnake? The Charlatans? Even Def Leppard are signed to a major label. It's not because any of them piss all over Morrissey saleswize. WPINOYB was the ninth best selling album in the world the week it was released.

Johnny marr, manic, weller, and charlatans might not be chartoppers, but the fill up stadiums more and paul weller was recently announced as a glastonbury headline, they are more exposed, they play the game more than morrissey. They do collaborations, signings in the uk and they immerse themself deeper into the modren music scene. Also what do you know about their current status with the record companys, they could be dropped.

Plus they have been with their record labels longer. Its a matter of lojalty too. Morrissey has not established a relationship with any record company yet.

Which chart list world peace to be the nineth bestseller worldwide
Morrissey behaviour is not bad compared to every other artist out there now. That is not the only reason he can't get a deal. Just as, him not compromising his artistic view is. If you read my first post i clearly say "if its the fact, that morrissey can't get a record deal because he won't budge on his artistic view." Not that thats the definite reason.

In this, article from nme. Paul Weller calls his new album a defiantly 21st century record . This is why i belive that a big part of morrissey not securing a deal, is because he does not allow or want to make is music more matchable with the current music scene. Artist like weller and marr, i belive allow record companys to guide them or give them tips about how to make their music more youth oriented. If they are charttoppers or not can't be guranteed. But record companys offer them record deals because they play ball. They record companys have a bigger chance to mold their music in to big sellers and charttoppers. Morrissey does not budge on his artistic views at all and frankly is playing in a bit to what he is known for. Morrissey concentrates to be true to his fans that to be always with the in crowd.

http://www.nme.com/news/paul-weller/82040

In this, article from nme. Paul Weller calls his new album a defiantly century 21 th century. This is why i belive that a big part of morrissey not securing a deal, is because he does not allow or want to make is music more matchable with the current music scene. Artist like weller and marr, i belive allow record companys to guide them or give them tips about how to make their music more youth oriented. If they are charttoppers or not can't be guranteed. But record companys offer them record deals because they play ball. They record companys have a bigger chance to mold their music in to big sellers and charttoppers. Morrissey does not budge on his artistic views at all and frankly is playing in a bit to what he is known for. Morrissey concentrates to be true to his fans that to be always with the in crowd.

http://www.nme.com/news/paul-weller/82040

Your assumption about Johnny Marr and Paul Weller is ridiculous and insulting.

They create music without compromising their artistic value which is same as Morrissey.

You don't know about Paul Weller very much, his music has been described as Dad Rock by some of his ex-fans, hardly youth orientated.

Your assumption about Johnny Marr and Paul Weller is ridiculous and insulting.

They create music without compromising their artistic value which is same as Morrissey.

You don't know about Paul Weller very much, his music has been described as Dad Rock by some of his ex-fans, hardly youth orientated.

No' i belive they do bend their artistic values more than morrissey, just listen to marrs "the messenger"!

Im not a weller fan, i just go by his own words not his "ex-fans"
Plus i have an opinion, his fans have an opinion and so does weller. His ex-fans are not all-knowing

I sort of botched up his qoute, he calls his album an "defiantly 21st century record"
It is still in wellers style but he has modernised himself. I have listened to some songs of the saturn's pattern album. It caters a bit to the listeners for this generation. A bit black keys like

How is it insulting to weller and marr?

No one can deny that both weller and marr try to keep them much more relevant than morrissey. One example is how active they are on social media. I dont own anything to marr or weller. I belive they want to be more up to date with the music scene, so they do bend their music to match the current scene. Why should i belive that they are true to themselfs when i see that they do play the game more than morrissey

Johnny marr, manic, weller, and charlatans might not be chartoppers, but the fill up stadiums

I saw Johnny Marr when he was promoting the Messenger.

He did not fill up a stadium.

I think the venue may have been smaller than where I saw Morrissey, but overall I'd say they play pretty comparable venues (excluding say Madison Square Garden or Barclay's). Interestingly enough the women in front of me thought Morrissey had a bigger fan base and a very interesting theory as to why--let's just say it was not because Morrissey was more deserving or a better artist. I think she's full of rubbish (or at least was--maybe she's come to her senses), but it's really hard to say Marr is "playing the game." I also have no idea what his album sold (probably more than Morrissey's since he didn't have it pulled), but the Messenger did not chart as high as World Peace did in either the UK or US.

I really don't think Johnny Marr "plays the game" or sacrifices artistic integrity--he spent a decade or so refusing to record music than sounds like himself. In a lot of ways he's just as...unusual in his thought process...as Morrissey.

I've always assumed Morrissey has no record deal, because of sales--but to be honest that makes no sense. As people have pointed out on this thread, there are plenty of people with less sales and probably less name recognition than Morrissey and they have record deals.

I have no clue why Morrissey has no record label.

Someone already mentioned why Moz has difficulties of finding a deal (can't remember who it was. Jennifer Ivory?). It's because today record companies offer mostly this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/360_deal. And Moz doesn't want that. I don't blame him. I wouldn't want such a deal either.

Back
Top Bottom