Johnny Marr's lyrics

A

Anonymous

Is there actually anyone out there who likes a JM lyric? I really wanted to but I don't like any of his lyrics. And what annoys me the most is when reviews of his records simply say "well, he isn't a lyricist" and then go on and just review the music as if the lyrics aren't there. But they are. It's a bit unfair. Moz gets slated for so many things. Why are many journalists so uncritical of JM?

Is there actually anyone out there who likes a JM lyric? I really wanted to but I don't like any of his lyrics. And what annoys me the most is when reviews of his records simply say "well, he isn't a lyricist" and then go on and just review the music as if the lyrics aren't there. But they are. It's a bit unfair. Moz gets slated for so many things. Why are many journalists so uncritical of JM?

well i think its half because the musics so good and the fact that while the lyrics might not be super profound they also arent bad and dont embarrass him or anything like that

well i think its half because the musics so good and the fact that while the lyrics might not be super profound they also arent bad and dont embarrass him or anything like that

Oh ... do you really think so? I find them bad and embarrassing. And while there is good music sometimes, I don't find it THAT good that it justifies to overlook everything else. But maybe it's just me ...

Oh ... do you really think so? I find them bad and embarrassing. And while there is good music sometimes, I don't find it THAT good that it justifies to overlook everything else. But maybe it's just me ...

yeah i think the music is pretty good but i like a lot of different styles. the yrics i dont find bad but are also not really for me. there fine, its his singing that i really find fault with.

For me these are bad lyrics because you can read them 100 times and they make no sense and you begin to think that someone just randomly put some words together.

I Want The Heartbeat

(Verse)
Coats come back to the lottery
And wipe some off, now she’s on me,
Fast machine transmits her wave to way back to the team.
You’ll come back technology, quit strike connect heartbeats to me,
Thin line reveals transmits heart rate to her maxim upbeat.

(Chorus)
I want the heartbeat, I want the heartbeat,
I want the heartbeat, I want the heartbeat.

(Verse)
Coats connect that kick for me,
All night I got your frequency,
Fast machine transmits your wave back to way back to the team.

(Bridge)
Get me your whole machine, technology, technology.
Get me my whole machine, then switch it on again,
I be on precede.

(Chorus)

Get me your whole machine, technology, technology,
Get me my own machine and fix her up again.
Put me up the scene.

(Chorus)
I want the heartbeat

All those lyric site are completely wrong. The correct lyrics are:

"Pulse correct my lottery
And life's a ward
Now she's on me
Fast machine transmits
Her wave to wave activity
Pure correct technology
Quick ! strap - connect that beat to me
Flatline reveal transmits
Heart rate to her maximum beat

I want the heartbeat

Pulse connect that kick for me
All night I've got your frequency
Fast machine transmits
Your wave to wave activity

Get me my own machine
Technology ! technology !
Get me my own machine
Let me switch her on again
Hook me up
Receive

I want the heartbeat

Get me !
My own machine
Get me !
My own machine !
Let me fix her up again
Hook me up
Receive

According to Johnny, it's about a guy who wins the lottery and swaps his wife for an ECG machine. So, personally, I think it's a pretty interesting and off-the-wall subject for a song, and decent enough. The trouble is, Johnny's lyrics are often so wilfully obscure, you don't really know what they are about unless he tells you, and - being observational stories rather than personal feelings, they often come across as a bit cold and impersonal. In his own words: "I've no interest in singing about my feelings and I've very little interest in other people singing about their feelings, if truth be told. I like people who sing about their thoughts - whether that comes from observations or telling stories. As long as it isn't some earnest sentimental claptrap." It's a valid approach - but I think he errs a little too much on the side of being cold and distant - I'd like to see him open up just a little a bit more.

Then again, he hasn't written lyrics as appallingly blunt and naff as:

"Brazil and Bahrain
Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain"

It's almost as though Johnny is trying to hard, and latter day Morrissey is no long trying hard enough, and will write any old shite that rhymes.

For me these are bad lyrics because you can read them 100 times and they make no sense and you begin to think that someone just randomly put some words together.

I Want The Heartbeat

(Verse)
Coats come back to the lottery
And wipe some off, now she’s on me,
Fast machine transmits her wave to way back to the team.
You’ll come back technology, quit strike connect heartbeats to me,
Thin line reveals transmits heart rate to her maxim upbeat.

(Chorus)

(Verse)
Coats connect that kick for me,
All night I got your frequency,
Fast machine transmits your wave back to way back to the team.

(Bridge)
Get me your whole machine, technology, technology.
Get me my whole machine, then switch it on again,
I be on precede.

(Chorus)

Get me your whole machine, technology, technology,
Get me my own machine and fix her up again.
Put me up the scene.

(Chorus)
I want the heartbeat

That's kind of like a rap lyric that went schizo.

All those lyric site are completely wrong. The correct lyrics are:

"Pulse correct my lottery
And life's a ward
Now she's on me
Fast machine transmits
Her wave to wave activity
Pure correct technology
Quick ! strap - connect that beat to me
Flatline reveal transmits
Heart rate to her maximum beat

I want the heartbeat

Pulse connect that kick for me
All night I've got your frequency
Fast machine transmits
Your wave to wave activity

Get me my own machine
Get me my own machine
Let me switch her on again
Hook me up
Receive

I want the heartbeat

Get me !
My own machine
Get me !
My own machine !
Let me fix her up again
Hook me up
Receive

According to Johnny, it's about a guy who wins the lottery and swaps his wife for an ECG machine. So, personally, I think it's a pretty interesting and off-the-wall subject for a song, and decent enough. The trouble is, Johnny's lyrics are often so wilfully obscure, you don't really know what they are about unless he tells you, and - being observational stories rather than personal feelings, they often come across as a bit cold and impersonal. In his own words: "I've no interest in singing about my feelings and I've very little interest in other people singing about their feelings, if truth be told. I like people who sing about their thoughts - whether that comes from observations or telling stories. As long as it isn't some earnest sentimental claptrap." It's a valid approach - but I think he errs a little too much on the side of being cold and distant - I'd like to see him open up just a little a bit more.

Then again, he hasn't written lyrics as appallingly blunt and naff as:

"Brazil and Bahrain
Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain"

It's almost as though Johnny is trying to hard, and latter day Morrissey is no long trying hard enough, and will write any old shite that rhymes.

weird, I don't think you can separate thought from feeling. that's inhuman as I know it. sounds like denial or maybe just a misunderstanding. how do you think about something without having any feeling for it. sounds like hes very much generalizing which isn't a very good sign a of a good lyricist

Meh, people prefer different things - whatever. Lyrics from the heart, vs. lyrics from the head. I don't see Johnny's lyrics as particularly bad - just a bit too opaque perhaps. Mind you, they are a BIG step up from the woeful lyrics on 'Boomslang!', which weren't really about anything at all, just vague meaningless noises - so in that sense he's improving a lot.

Meh, people prefer different things - whatever. Lyrics from the heart, vs. lyrics from the head. I don't see Johnny's lyrics as particularly bad - just a bit too opaque perhaps. Mind you, they are a BIG step up from the woeful lyrics on 'Boomslang!', which weren't really about anything at all, just vague meaningless noises - so in that sense he's improving a lot.

good god gotta agree with that.

I will also say this. anything he does will be compared to moz which has got to be difficult. to compete with him in the so called emotional arena of lyricism

Johnny, unlike Morrissey, is a friend of the press so gets an easy ride. It is ridiculous how people get away with writing inane lyrics and every syllable a Morrissey utters is judged by those who tried and found they couldn't do.

Johnny, unlike Morrissey, is a friend of the press so gets an easy ride. It is ridiculous how people get away with writing inane lyrics and every syllable a Morrissey utters is judged by those who tried and found they couldn't do.

I know. It really bothers me. Even to a point where I am more annoyed about Johnny than about Moz. But I have to confess that I am rarely drawn to the "Mr-nice-guy-types" because, in my world, it always comes across as less authentic and it always makes me feel bad about myself. When I listen to Moz or look at him as a person (the one we all can see) I never feel bad about myself because here is a human being with flaws, quirks and constant troubles in his life and, guess what, he is not afraid to show it or admit it. Sometimes I think to myself how Johnny would've handled Moz' life because I think people are often far too hard on Moz and apparently expected him to go smoothly through all of this without any emotional reactions.

I know. It really bothers me. Even to a point where I am more annoyed about Johnny than about Moz. But I have to confess that I am rarely drawn to the "Mr-nice-guy-types" because, in my world, it always comes across as less authentic and it always makes me feel bad about myself. When I listen to Moz or look at him as a person (the one we all can see) I never feel bad about myself because here is a human being with flaws, quirks and constant troubles in his life and, guess what, he is not afraid to show it or admit it. Sometimes I think to myself how Johnny would've handled Moz' life because I think people are often far too hard on Moz and apparently expected him to go smoothly through all of this without any emotional reactions.

he for sure does get an easier ride. hes neat but I think he has a bigger ego than moz or more pride maybe, I don't know the best way to say it., and it kinda gets in his way a bit imo and makes him come off as insincere at times. this is the impression I get when I read his interviews at least. he sometimes says something kinda interesting as well outside of music like when he was talking about certain buildings. I always listen when he talks about the guitar of course

I agree with you.
The lyrics are generally dire (some exceptions) and his singing is just bland.
I am also surprised at how weak the music is, too, having bought both albums.
There are a handful of great songs, though, and I'm glad he's doing this rather than being an extra guitarist with some indie band or other.
Always worth seeing live as you get that blend of Smiths, solo and Electronic. Good luck to the fella!

Back
Top Bottom