Smiths will reform

I wont happen. I wish i wont happen Either. Sure it would be lukrative but it would not truly be the Smiths. All of them have changed. Physically, emotionally, musically and their values. Morrissey is not at all the same man from the 80s neither is marr Joyce or rourke! It would look more like a tribute band or a middle aged karoke group.
The Smiths was something short but truly beautiful, an institution. Should we really ruin just for money or to cater to newbie rich Smiths fans and old ones who wants to re-live it all. Can't something just stay as a beautiful memory. Does it have to go old rock cliche. Save the reunions for the oasis and blur of the world, who are more on a break that a break-up
The Smiths are long dead, died young and beautiful just like morrissey hero James Dean
everything nowadays are either sequel or remake. Jurassic park, twin peaks, arcive X, muppets, gone with the wind, blur and much more
Leave somethings unspoilt and challenge yourselfs. Life goes on and something are more important that money or please the public

I think this very well emotionally and eloquently said.
Many would agree with you- and I agree with much of your sentiment. If I'm honest, I'm slightly torn between leaving 'the beauty of the past' and actually seeing them all together.
The minimum price of probably £150 per head would maybe rule out myself and wife's tickets anyway!

But hey, Kate Bush came out of retirement.....

If Morrissey wants to be a chart topper in America he has to either reform the Smiths and release a new album to hook in the old people dollars, or take notes from these twerps who have zero clue who he is beyond Weird Al remakes and movie spots and deliver the sound and beats they are responding to, because these are the kids BUYING RECORDS. They're still too honest to pirate and want to own their music. Watch this. They don't know Green Day ffs!

Personally I think chart topping is a waste of time. Do it for the music, not the acknowledgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Morrissey wants to be a chart topper in America he has to either reform the Smiths and release a new album to hook in the old people dollars, or take notes from these twerps who have zero clue who he is beyond Weird Al remakes and movie spots and deliver the sound and beats they are responding to, because these are the kids BUYING RECORDS. They're still too honest to pirate and want to own their music. Watch this. They don't know Green Day ffs!

Personally I think chart topping is a waste of time. Do it for the music, not the acknowledgement.

he could do both, its all still possible. he still writes a lot of songs with just excellent hooks that probably appeal to younger people than older fans that all feel let down by our very specific expectations. i wonder who id compare his career to really. not in my love for them but who else has so consistently released popular albums into his fifties that chart, even the one you made in your fifties. sure i know there were ups a downs to degree and that he never hit super smash money or fame but hes been pretty popular and a good seller for almost all of it with not to much changing musically.

I think this very well emotionally and eloquently said.
Many would agree with you- and I agree with much of your sentiment. If I'm honest, I'm slightly torn between leaving 'the beauty of the past' and actually seeing them all together.
The minimum price of probably £150 per head would maybe rule out myself and wife's tickets anyway!

But hey, Kate Bush came out of retirement.....

As much tempting as Its sounds to see the Smiths live, in the end its not right
And kate Bush also came out with a new song thats about shagging a snowman. That could have been prevented :) if Morrissey agreed to this he would have not only charge 150 quid a head, he would have wanted to be given head plus a thousand blue roses

It's bad enough that Morrissey is now charging close to £60 for solo gig tickets. If there ever was a Smiths reunion tour, it would be huge stadiums at £175 a ticket.

If Morrissey & Marr wanted to get together to try writing/releasing something NEW, I'd be interested.
Cash-in 'greatest hits' tour? Not so much.

he could do both, its all still possible. he still writes a lot of songs with just excellent hooks that probably appeal to younger people than older fans that all feel let down by our very specific expectations. i wonder who id compare his career to really. not in my love for them but who else has so consistently released popular albums into his fifties that chart, even the one you made in your fifties. sure i know there were ups a downs to degree and that he never hit super smash money or fame but hes been pretty popular and a good seller for almost all of it with not to much changing musically.

My point is the To Give covers and British 50s backdrops aren't speaking to the people who pay money to create chart toppers. Can he sell out arenas? Obviously. Is he getting new fans? Yes, there's a smattering of indiebabies in attendance. Are these the people that buy singles? No. They're the people who already own all the albums, don't buy re-issues, and pirate bootlegs instead of paying iTunes. The release of KMAL was a waste because it was old news, but he can make a new KMAL and release it as a single in anticipation of another album. I feel like this is been gone over a hundred times, but to get the dollars you gotta pander to what these kids are responding to. The 13-20 year old market is where chart-topping is at. Also it helps not to tell them all their favorite music sucks and the music industry is dead, that is THEIR industry he's dissing. He's burning a huge bridge bringing that topic up.

They will reform, but without Andy and Mike. They will go out as "Morrissey & Marr of The Smiths" in the UK, for legal reasons, but will be billed as "The Smiths" in the rest of the world.

but they are not friends amymore.

who has power, skills and interest to get them together in the same room?

Morrissey might die any minute now, without having reformed anything, least of all himself...

Oh, boo hoo.

but they are not friends amymore.

who has power, skills and interest to get them together in the same room?

There was an interview 5 or so years ago with Johnny where he said something along the lines of "I'm not rich enough to turn down that kind of money" (the kind of money he and Morrissey have actually really been offered to reform The Smiths

So in the past it's definitely only been Morrissey holding it back. If he changes his mind (because he needs the money or whatever) then it's on.

There was an interview 5 or so years ago with Johnny where he said something along the lines of "I'm not rich enough to turn down that kind of money" (the kind of money he and Morrissey have actually really been offered to reform The Smiths

So in the past it's definitely only been Morrissey holding it back. If he changes his mind (because he needs the money or whatever) then it's on.

marr also said in the interview like a few months ago that the smiths wouldnt reform. i dont think moz will need the money as he can make money in a number of different ways

Not necessarily a good sign.
Sometimes those stick around just because there's a good chance of catastrophe, and they don't want to miss it.

:rofl: :rofl:

this is the funniest reply i've got.

Does Morrissey even have five years? I thought he was terminal. It's a miracle. I tell ya!!!

I think this may have been his way of saying that the actual real rumoured amounts were not actually real.

I agree that they could have done it some time ago. If they wanted the money, they could have. But both Marr and Morrissey have been doing other stuff. I do believe, I really do, that there is a real inevitability about a reformation. I see it as the logical conclusion. Not just for the keeping-the-name-in-the-news, but, more than anything else, it's something to do. I don't mind being out on a limb on this.

P.

I'm not having a go at what you believe will happen, but merely out of curiosity, where does Boz figure into all of this? For years, I'd say the fact that Morrissey vocalized his preference for his solo band over the Smiths has been largely a nod to Boz, who's been by his side for nearly five times the lifespan of the Smiths. I could see Morrissey reforming the Smiths if his current guitarists were Jesse and someone newer. But, as it's been suggested, unless Boz either betrays Morrissey (pretty damned hard to imagine by this point) or keels over, a Smiths' reformation would be the biggest insult to Boz. I really could never see Morrissey doing that.

a Smiths' reformation would be the biggest insult to Boz

Why would be an insult to Boz? It's not as if he must be fired or something. A Smiths reunion (if it ever happens at all) would only be temporary, and Moz would continue with Boz and the others after it's over. And I don't think that Boz would die of boredom during that break, either. He seems to be a very busy man, even when he's not touring with Moz.

Back
Top Bottom