Smiths will reform

There was an interview 5 or so years ago with Johnny where he said something along the lines of "I'm not rich enough to turn down that kind of money" (the kind of money he and Morrissey have actually really been offered to reform The Smiths

So in the past it's definitely only been Morrissey holding it back. If he changes his mind (because he needs the money or whatever) then it's on.

I remember reading that interview, too. Do you know what magazine or newspaper it was in?

Why would be an insult to Boz? It's not as if he must be fired or something. A Smiths reunion (if it ever happens at all) would only be temporary, and Moz would continue with Boz and the others after it's over. And I don't think that Boz would die of boredom during that break, either. He seems to be a very busy man, even when he's not touring with Moz.

I look at it as an insult to Boz because Boz has essentially been Morrissey's "perfect Johnny." If Boz would've come knocking on Morrissey's door in 1982 and formed the Smiths (or 'Morrissey') with him, I don't think it's a huge stretch of the imagination to say that the Smiths would have lasted longer than they did (or even still be a group). So I feel like Moz owes Boz an awful lot for that. I don't think Morrissey can last without a constant presence in his life, and for the past near 25 years, that's been Boz. I dunno, just seems kind of like an important relationship to me.

I don't think Morrissey can last without a constant presence in his life, and for the past near 25 years, that's been Boz. I dunno, just seems kind of like an important relationship to me.

It is. :/

...However, you've just insulted Johnny Marr, and, as his Champion -no no Johnny, let me handle this- I now feel obligated to challenge you to a duel. Oh, bother.

I look at it as an insult to Boz because Boz has essentially been Morrissey's "perfect Johnny." If Boz would've come knocking on Morrissey's door in 1982 and formed the Smiths (or 'Morrissey') with him, I don't think it's a huge stretch of the imagination to say that the Smiths would have lasted longer than they did (or even still be a group). So I feel like Moz owes Boz an awful lot for that. I don't think Morrissey can last without a constant presence in his life, and for the past near 25 years, that's been Boz. I dunno, just seems kind of like an important relationship to me.

I completely agree. To me The Smiths are simply Morrissey first backing band.

I'd like to see Moz and Johnny collaborate and record together again... I could care less if they perform live. Not to say Andy and Mike weren't a huge part of The Smiths (because they absolutely were- neither one of them more than the other) but the real magic, to me, was that songwriting partnership. Moz and Johnny are still truly in the music game and their skills are still sharp (well, sharpish in Moz's case as he's lost a few steps IMO whereas Johnny is as crisp and sharp as ever and maybe more so!) So an album of new material would be ace... it would be interesting at the very least as they've lived very different lives, personally and professionally, since the end of the Smiths. Andy and Mike seem like they'd be stale after not doing anything relevant (or whatever) in so long.

Last edited:
I completely agree. To me The Smiths are simply Morrissey first backing band.

I wouldn't go THAT far. But toward the end, Morrissey was getting a little to comfortable with putting all the responsibility on Johnny as the Smiths kept amassing popularity.

Also, I love Boz, I really do... but it's like Morrissey has been sitting at the kid's table for 20+ years now. I'm not sure he could keep up with Johnny on stage at this point. Best to record at a pace that works for both of them and where glaring differences in abilities can be smoothed over by a producer. To me that's the biggest obstacle to any reunion. I think Morrissey knows, in his heart of hearts, that Johnny would push and challenge him. He obviously hates that. I'm sure that's why he ditched Vini Reilly all those years ago.

Also, I love Boz, I really do... but it's like Morrissey has been sitting at the kid's table for 20+ years now. I'm not sure he could keep up with Johnny on stage at this point.

He he he. True dat.
Johnny could probably play "Barbarism" and run a marathon simultaneously.

Which is not saying that Martin B. can't play "WPINOYB" and have a drink simultaneously...

Also, I love Boz, I really do... but it's like Morrissey has been sitting at the kid's table for 20+ years now. I'm not sure he could keep up with Johnny on stage at this point. Best to record at a pace that works for both of them and where glaring differences in abilities can be smoothed over by a producer. To me that's the biggest obstacle to any reunion. I think Morrissey knows, in his heart of hearts, that Johnny would push and challenge him. He obviously hates that. I'm sure that's why he ditched Vini Reilly all those years ago.

While they may have got on well at the time, I think Vini's inclinations were a little too avant-garde for Morrissey.

hm, will you elaborate, please?

this is daring view.

Need I say more? Morrissey was what made the Smiths special. The Smiths were just the first part of his long career. Effectively they were just the original line up of Morrissey's backing band. His ongoing success and the limited or lack of success of the others proves the point. History will remember The Smiths because of Morrissey and not Morrissey because of The Smiths.

While they may have got on well at the time, I think Vini's inclinations were a little too avant-garde for Morrissey.

i wish he had gone on to write some with him as i really like his playing and writing. always read they fell out because of credit issues on viva hate

Need I say more? Morrissey was what made the Smiths special. The Smiths were just the first part of his long career. Effectively they were just the original line up of Morrissey's backing band. His ongoing success and the limited or lack of success of the others proves the point. History will remember The Smiths because of Morrissey and not Morrissey because of The Smiths.

many denies his success, too. majority on this forum, first.

he's without contract, off of the charts, estranged from the media, almost invisible on the map of music business:( - facts for those who want to dispute or diminish his importance and value.

i was horrified with quality of concert reviews on this tour.
not even one good-written, well-informed and INSPIRED by talent and effort he showed.

morrissey deserves one proper PUBLIC REVIEW!! if not from some established journalist, than from some talented fan.
but fans showed NOTHING except excitement or dissapointment :(.

p.s. i'll elaborate my opinion on 'the smiths' later, maybe.

I see what you mean, but I still can't see Boz feeling insulted by a temporary reunion of The Smiths. It's not as if his wife was making out with an old flame while he's being asked to wait. This is a professional business relationship! Boz had his side projects too, should Morrissey have felt insulted as well? Now, if Boz got permantly fired ... well, that would be reason enough to feel insulted. But I highly doubt that Moz would fire the last constant left in his musical life.

If Moz can't bear to be parted from him, I'm sure they could crowbar Boz into the 'Craig Gannon/second guitar' position. I mean - all he has to do is stand at the side of the stage strumming the chords while Johnny does all the flash stuff.

I see what you mean, but I still can't see Boz feeling insulted by a temporary reunion of The Smiths. It's not as if his wife was making out with an old flame while he's being asked to wait. This is a professional business relationship! Boz had his side projects too, should Morrissey have felt insulted as well? Now, if Boz got permantly fired ... well, that would be reason enough to feel insulted. But I highly doubt that Moz would fire the last constant left in his musical life.

Of course all of this is irrelevant because it will never happen because of Morrissey/Mike Joyce, they're middle aged men that have moved on, etc, but...

On the Boz issue surely all that would need to happen is for Boz to become the band's 5th member. If it was alright for Craig Gannon it for certain would be for Boz.

- - - Updated - - -

If Moz can't bear to be parted from him, I'm sure they could crowbar Boz into the 'Craig Gannon/second guitar' position. I mean - all he has to do is stand at the side of the stage strumming the chords while Johnny does all the flash stuff.

Sorry, you beat me to it!

They're reforming soon with James Maker on vocals, Ivor Perry on guitar, Dale Hibbert on bass and Simon Wolstencroft on drums.

There's no way Moz would leave out Jesse.

They're reforming soon with James Maker on vocals, Ivor Perry on guitar, Dale Hibbert on bass and Simon Wolstencroft on drums.

I do hope the makers of that Bands Reunited thing posted earlier up have seen this post.

Back
Top Bottom