Calling all Suede fans

still like this song as it sounds very casual and light in many ways. like sound of the streets or sadie come to mind. video is very poor but its kinda neat to see the tribute to the bands past as various incarnations float by. heres the video though if any one cares to hear the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3pVPrfOc2g

I agree, not a great video, must have costs all of 50p to make. Still have high hopes for the new album though.

I agree, not a great video, must have costs all of 50p to make. Still have high hopes for the new album though.

i just dont think they care much about videos, theyve as much as said so in the past and have never really made a good one. i thought bretts back to you was much better than almost any suede video in terms of concept. it struck me to wonder if this is named or about the patti smith book and story she wrote not long ago. would make sense to me. im on the fence about the new one for no particular reason. the cover was terrible imo and they would done better to use a real photo and not the cgi crap. i even like it with no body floating but keeping the color scheme and font. im just split on the whole thing coming together as an album and some of the track listing sequencing makes me suspect but who really knows until it comes out. ive enjoyed both songs so far

I'm listening to the first Brett album at the moment, I've had it for aging but only just got around to giving it a play. I'm impressed and really enjoying it. Different enough from a Suede album but still unmistakably Brett Anderson. I wish I had seen him live in 2007 supporting this album. Oh well another regret.

I'm listening to the first Brett album at the moment, I've had it for aging but only just got around to giving it a play. I'm impressed and really enjoying it. Different enough from a Suede album but still unmistakably Brett Anderson. I wish I had seen him live in 2007 supporting this album. Oh well another regret.

i always thought the b-sides were better than some of the songs on his debut but i still really enjoy about half and the other half is fine imo. wilderness is fantastic to me but it of course is more like an e.p. with its repeated songs and short running time but thats where he hits it for me. if it had been billed as such, an e.p and omitted the admittedly better takes on already released songs so quickly id have an even softer spot for it. hate the cover but the lyrics to that album were just super good. slow attack is my fav as i can listen to it from start to finish while black rainbows while more suedish i guess goes back to the collection of songs grab bag style but they are very good songs and i of course dont mind the music a little louder. black rainbows had some production issues i thought but its not really important in the end. i will say that the song i find myself singing the most is one lazy morning as ts hook is infectious and just comes to mind often without thinking

Tonight Suede will play live session on BBC Radio 2. Songs from new album and some old good things are expected =) It can be listening online from 8 p.m.: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_two Or during a month after the air date: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vc0qg (from 01:07)

upd: Only 3 songs :( 2 from upcoming album, "Tightrope" and "Like kids", and "Beautiful ones" as a final. Cute conversation, if I heard (and remembered) it right, Brett was asked about the music that had given an impact to Suede. The Smiths were mentioned first, Bowie the second one. Obviously, but nice anyway =)

Last edited:
suede - pale snow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir9RgLZuIfY

this song doesnt do it for me but i feel it might be in a good spot on album so well see but the video is for sure much improved from like kids. the song seemed to be a fav among fans and the opening kinda reminds me of bretts solo song the hunted which i found neat

a review of suedes new album night thoughts from pitchfork (album score 7.5)

"Blackstar isn’t the only album released this month to take on added poignancy in the wake of David Bowie’s passing. Suede are releasing a new album mere weeks after Bowie did the same—just like in March 2013, when both parties released comeback records following decade-long hiatuses. And while the timing may be purely coincidental, it’s an uncanny circumstance for a band that, throughout the '90s, provided the most resounding reminder of Bowie’s early-'70s supremacy, and helped rehabilitate his rep amidst a career nadir for a new generation of pretty things. Listening to Night Thoughts now is like hearing a eulogy from a favorite son—from its quasi-conceptual structure to its stardust-speckled guitar riffage to its abundance of misfit anthems and concert hall-crumbling ballads, the record is a testament to Bowie’s steely determination to make every song a seismic event.
That said, Suede are like the faithful scions who inherited the old family home, but didn't do much redecoration. They never shared their godhead’s flair for radical reinvention and experimentation; their discography effectively imagines an alternate 1975 where Bowie never went to Philly and continued to mine the dark majesty of the Aladdin Sane/Diamond Dogs era on through the '80s. The parameters of their sound were pretty much set with their first two albums—1993’s snappy, scrappy self-titled debut and 1994’s darkly ornate Dog Man Star—and the records that followed slid back and forth between those extremes. Bloodsports, their laudable 2013 return effort, hedged its bets by positioning itself smack dab in the middle of that spectrum, with the album’s invigorating first side balanced by a weightier second act. Their comeback now assured and their bravado fully restored, with Night Thoughts, Suede once again leap up off the dancefloor to swing from the chandeliers.
Night Thoughts isn’t a rock opera per se, though it gamely assumes the form of one. Several songs bleed into one another through swirling interstitials; the opening track is reprised in the penultimate position, Sgt. Pepper’s-style; and it sounds like at least half the recording budget was spent on the orchestra. It’s also accompanied by a fitfully bleak feature-length film (directed by NME photographer/Libertines documentarian Roger Sargent) that shows a drowning man’s reminiscences about the familial tragedy that’s driven him to commit suicide in the sea. (The band previewed the album last fall with front-to-back live performances synced up to the film.) But the songs themselves don’t actually form a linear narrative arc, reference specific characters, or directly correlate to the visuals. They’re more discrete portraits of passion, ostracization, betrayal, and depression—hardly uncharted territory for a Suede record. But the sheer, fetishistic intensity with which Brett Anderson delivers his lascivious lyrics—coupled with the balcony-baiting, pomped-up performance of the band—makes the wounds feel newly opened and the bruises freshly pressed.
That Night Thoughts’ cinematic companion piece centers around the story of an unglamorous middle-class family—rather than, say, the freakish, fashionable deviants that populate the band’s signature songs—underscores an essential truth about Suede today: They are no longer young people, and no longer speaking for them. Once the poster children for porcelain-skinned druggy excess, they’re now the embattled survivors sharing cautionary tales of bad decisions and dreams unfulfilled. Night Thoughts is framed by the opening "When You Are Young" and its late-album echo "When You Were Young"—shore-crashing surges of symphonic psychedelia that dissipate into Anderson’s rueful ruminations about the idealism of youth and the impossibility of recapturing it. While the album’s title may hint at seedy suggestion, Night Thoughts is more about those traumatic, sleep-depriving memories that have you tossing and turning and "tumbling out of a single bed."
It’s a record about addiction, to be sure, but to an intoxicant more elusive, potent, and damaging than any street drug: desire. And like any stimulant, the highs are ecstatic (see: "Outsiders," a stained-sheet celebration of odd-couple consummation, or the nostalgically trashy "Like Kids") and the lows are crushing (see: pretty much everything else). The titles tell you exactly what you’re getting yourself into—"I Don’t Know How to Reach You," "What I’m Trying to Tell You," "Tightrope," "I Can’t Give Her What She Wants"—each song more desperate and depraved than the one before, culminating in the latter’s intimations of violence ("The keys are falling from her coat/ As I weave my fingers around her perfumed throat"). Though a master of evocative detail, Anderson doesn't care much for narrative exposition—rather than set a scene, he prefers to thrust you into the thick of the moment where it’s all about to fall apart. And depending on your disposition, Night Thoughts concludes with either with a happy ending, or a dispiriting one. The swashbuckling, orchestro-ballad finale, "The Fur & the Feathers," finds Anderson valorizing "the thrill of the chase"—an optimistic suggestion that even the most bitter, agonizing breakup can’t diminish the rush of romance, or the brazen affirmation of a damaging, heart-ravaging habit that’ll inevitably lead to more sleepless nights. For the sake of Suede’s ongoing renaissance, let’s hope it’s the latter."

songs from new album:

pale snow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir9RgLZuIfY

outsiders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL15Nvlf7ZU

no tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQRz_15s3g

And this board is more mature...?! ;)

I saw them many times before they split, but for my money the best Suede gig ever was the reunion for TCT at the Royal Albert Hall - absolutely electrifying. Band on top form, killer setlist and five and a half thousand people so thrilled to see them back.

well i didnt have any knowledge of this place befoe then so i gave it a shot, oh well. yeah people always say that show was great. i moissed my chance to see them when they came here as i blew up my engine through neglect ( im not good at cars ).

here the allmusic review. 4 1/2 out pf 5 so yay

"Night Thoughts is a quintessentially Suede title: specific yet vague, a notion that seems either romantic or sad depending on perspective. Twenty years, a decade of which was spent in a split, certainly has shifted Suede's perspective, particularly that of leader Brett Anderson. In his younger years, Anderson couldn't resist the tragic but as he settles into middle age, his work bears an unmistakable undercurrent of gratitude: no longer racing against a nuclear sunset, he's meditating upon the elongated stillness of night. It's a shift of attitude, a maturation mirrored by Suede consolidating their strengths. Leaving behind frivolous trash -- it is, after all, a sound that suits the young -- Suede embrace their inherent glamorous grandeur, playing miniatures as if they were epics while reining in excess. In a sense, Night Thoughts functions as the Dog Man Star to Bloodsports, an album that dwarfs its predecessor in both sound and sensibility. If Dog Man Star threatened to topple upon its own ambition -- part of its charm is how it meandered into endless darkness -- that makes the precision of Night Thoughts all the more impressive; it is the work of a band whose members know precisely how to execute their ideas. Here, the longest epic crests just over six minutes ("I Don't Know How to Reach You"), and the 12 songs seem interlocked, if not precisely conceptually then certainly thematically, with each element elegantly playing off the last. Sometimes, there are echoes of their past but this is knowing; "Like Kids" cascades like an inverted "New Generation," pulsating with the same passion but with an eye toward the past, not future. Despite this glance over the shoulder, there's a sense that Suede are happy not only to be through all the turmoil but to bear the scars of well-fought battles. With that past behind them, Suede can still dwell on big issues of love and mortality, but now that the past is in perspective, it all means a little bit more and what lies ahead is a little more precious, and that wide view makes Night Thoughts all the more moving."

Night Thoughts is good. As in, really really good.

If you get the chance, give it a try. It works best as one whole piece of music, beautifully put together. The singles SHOULD stick out like sore thumbs but strangely work. I'm really, really impressed.

I'm so pleased for Suede that the album has entered the charts at #06. Pretty impressive when you consider there are only three Bowie albums, Adele and Justin Beaver(?) above them and all done without the marketing might of a big record company.

Considering they are my third favourite artist of all time, I haven't actually heard Nights Thoughts yet even though I got it on the day of it's release. This is partially because I have a load of unplayed albums to hear first but mainly because the last album I waited this impatiently for was World Peace is None.... and that turned out to be a pile shite which has knocked my faith in the great man.

I really hope Night Thoughts is as good as the critics say.

I'm so pleased for Suede that the album has entered the charts at #06. Pretty impressive when you consider there are only three Bowie albums, Adele and Justin Beaver(?) above them and all done without the marketing might of a big record company.

Considering they are my third favourite artist of all time, I haven't actually heard Nights Thoughts yet even though I got it on the day of it's release. This is partially because I have a load of unplayed albums to hear first but mainly because the last album I waited this impatiently for was World Peace is None.... and that turned out to be a pile shite which has knocked my faith in the great man.

It's very, very good.
And so is the accompanying film/collection of clips.

Its pretty good and goes in some new directions without feeling awkward even the singles. When I fort heard the recording of outsiders I was a little bummed by the what I felt was a very boring standard I heard mid tempo dozen times before but Brett's changes his usual vocal patterns and the guitar in the chorus sounds like they just took flight like humming birds. Made me smile and for and won me over on that track. I do agree somewhat that the album kinda lulls but there's a camp that would just love an album of slow ballads but I don't so much. Like pale snow is fine but doesn't excite me the way that other songs do. The album is a whole piece of music with a refrain so its best to listen as a whole. Glad the guys took umber six. When he says he sees a new phase of suede music coming for the first time I'm convinced

Um. Warner is a big record company.

Its pretty good and goes in some new directions without feeling awkward even the singles. When I fort heard the recording of outsiders I was a little bummed by the what I felt was a very boring standard I heard mid tempo dozen times before but Brett's changes his usual vocal patterns and the guitar in the chorus sounds like they just took flight like humming birds. Made me smile and for and won me over on that track. I do agree somewhat that the album kinda lulls but there's a camp that would just love an album of slow ballads but I don't so much. Like pale snow is fine but doesn't excite me the way that other songs do. The album is a whole piece of music with a refrain so its best to listen as a whole. Glad the guys took umber six. When he says he sees a new phase of suede music coming for the first time I'm convinced

meant the song no tomorrow and not outsiders, whoops

It is, in the words of Shakin' Stevens, 'lovely stuff'

Well I now played Night Thoughts about 4 times and whilst I haven't fallen heavily in love with it, it's started to grow on me. I miss it not having a romper stomper type of song like Moving or This Hollywood Life but the album does flow quite nicely. I think Brett and Co should be proud of it.

Well I now played Night Thoughts about 4 times and whilst I haven't fallen heavily in love with it, it's started to grow on me. I miss it not having a romper stomper type of song like Moving or This Hollywood Life but the album does flow quite nicely. I think Brett and Co should be proud of it.

Agreed - it doesn't have the instant classic track that defines it - but it's tremendous as a cover to cover listen. Used to feel like that about Morrissey albums - I remember listening to Your Arsenal and feeling drained by the end, an epic journey. Suede continue to impress, even if they aren't furrowing new ground.

i sorta feel the same. its better than i expected but im not the type of suede fan that wants an album of ballads strings and electronic beats and i was afraid id get that this time around. i think brett really really wants to make this sort of album but is kinda restrained by being of suede. theres only so many opportunities in life i guess

I went to see Suede on Monday night in Glasgow.

I hadn't been inside the Royal Concert Hall since I saw Morrissey there in 1991.

I found myself sitting in the same section as I had that night.

Anyhoo.

The show was in two parts with "Night Thoughts" played in its entirety with the film projected onto a HUGE digital cinema screen and the band playing behind. At certain points the band were lit so that they appeared over, under, beneath the images on the screen. It was very powerful...moving, disturbing and strangely joyous in places. I think the album works best with the images...it works just fine as an album but better as the whole package.

The second half was a hits and treats set;

This Hollywood Life
Killing of a Flashboy
Trash
Sometimes I Feel I'll Float Away
He's Dead
Animal Nitrate
This Time
So Young
Metal Mickey
Beautiful Ones
Everything Will Flow
New Generation

It was...fabulous. A glorious reminder of why I fell in love with them in the first place...a set of album tracks, b-sides and singles each the match of the other. I left feeling like I had seen a band at the height of their powers and not one in terminal decline.

I couldn't help but think how wonderful it could have been had Morrissey decided to do something...different these past few years. Gather a band of gifted musicians or re-unite with the likes of Reilly and Whyte, a real orchestra, a series of concerts like Sparks where his entire back catalogue was given an airing...something, anything.

Where Suede were full of vim and vigour, verve, guts and guile...Morrissey seems, oh I'm sorry, a bit turgid these days by comparison.

I know it's never gonna happen.

Suede though...f***ing brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom