Lyrics in Reel Around the Fountain

S

Son and Heir

I know it's been talked about before but not for a while it seems. I'm wondering what the consensus is specifically about "you can pin and mount me like a butterfly"

Do you feel it's just an obviously straightforward sexual metaphor about being dominated or is it something deeper? As in, someone who has been used up by someone in a relationship and is now just another 'collectible' to the other whom the relationship meant nothing to?

In my opinion, it is about taking a pork sword up the Hershey Highway. Only stated in a very poetical fashion.

The sexual tone is clear, but I always liked the imagery it conjured with the notion of being trapped. He alludes to being pinned and mounted as a form of endless preservation of the moment - so beauty is kept forever. The whole process of capturing a butterfly, gassing it, pinning it as per the Victorian pastime, seems evocative of more than just sex. More a sense of keeping for all time.
Regards,
FWD

In my opinion, it is about taking a pork sword up the Hershey Highway. Only stated in a very poetical fashion.

Very succinctly stated. I also believe that his song 'I Can Have Both' is not about his attraction to both men and women but rather about his willingness to be both a top or a bottom. :lbf:

All interesting.

What would you think if a girl said this, one who recently broke up with someone?

If a girl asked me to pin and mount her, what would I think? I would think it was my lucky day!

Interesting, wasn't sure but I figured. She's just overly emotional and a little melancholy. It wasn't really (at least not obviously) more an open posting. She just broke up with a guy and I know she really feels like he doesn't give a shit about her and that he considers her just another notch. We've been talking a bit but nothing's happened yet.

And may I be permitted to add that I think in the past too much "Freudian interpretation" has been made of the "Fountain" part of the lyric. "Reel around the fountain/ Slap me on the patio" mentions two features found in a garden, (or garden centre for that matter), and I simply think this is referring to sexual antics in a park or garden somewhere. The lyric goes on "Oh, meet me at the fountain/ Shove me on the patio/ I'll take it slowly". Curiously Pulp mentioned meeting at a fountain in 'Disco 2000': "Be there at 2 o'clock by the fountain down the road/ I never knew that you'd get married/ I would be living down here on my own".

I think that "reel" is used in the context of staggering and swaying - as a verb it's most commonly used in the context of a drunk. Of course a 'reel' is also a folky Scottish/ Irish dance - which I don't think that M was referring to, but he probably likes using words with more than a single meaning and using words not used in everyday language.

maybe its about a first or very early sexual encounter in which you think you care for someone you think cares for you and put up with a bunch of crap while you figure out there and your own feelings going back and fourth on the subject. reminds me of half a person

Back
Top Bottom