Morrissey and muslim meat traditions, does he dare criticise it?

A

Anonymous

As we know Morrissey is against meat consumption and talks about the cruel manner of slaughter in the meat industry but has he ever spoke out against how muslims halal slaughter animals which is of course the most brutal manner of all when it comes to slaughter?

I think it is about time he focused a bit on that as he should be fair and not just condemn the organised major meat industry who at least treat the animals a bit better than muslims do when they use halal slaughter.

Is Morrissey finally afraid to touch on a subject because of how muslims tend to threaten to kill public people who criticise their traditions and religion?

How does Morrrissey handle this issue and is it time for us fans to demand he speaks out on all animal cruelty even when it is done in the name of religion?

As we know Morrissey is against meat consumption and talks about the cruel manner of slaughter in the meat industry but has he ever spoke out against how muslims halal slaughter animals which is of course the most brutal manner of all when it comes to slaughter?

I think it is about time he focused a bit on that as he should be fair and not just condemn the organised major meat industry who at least treat the animals a bit better than muslims do when they use halal slaughter.

Is Morrissey finally afraid to touch on a subject because of how muslims tend to threaten to kill public people who criticise their traditions and religion?

How does Morrrissey handle this issue and is it time for us fans to demand he speaks out on all animal cruelty even when it is done in the name of religion?

I wouldn't hold your breath on Morrissey engaging in an open, reasonable, thought-provoking dialogue on various animal kill techniques. This is a guy who forces 5 minutes of graphic slaughter videos on people who are out for night of entertainment.

Ask a cow which it prefers - being electrocuted and then killed or having its throat slit while alive and a prayer said to a non-existent bloke in the sky. The answer is "neither, thanks". :)

What difference does it make? Morrissey's views are fairly well-known, I can't see how the animal is killed makes one iota of difference to him. Or me. Or most people who have reservations about meat-eating to be honest.

I also think that Halal and Kosher meat is meant to.be blessed prior to the slitting of the throat which some may argue at least shows some respect to the animal.

How you can suggest the mass-market meat industy treat animals any better or more humanely is quite frankly an utter fallacy and is just another cheap and nasty shot adding to the ever increasing Islamophobia that the Western world seems hell-bent on pursuing.

Or maybe that was actually your point? The Britain First website is over there. On the far right.

The concept of halal meat is concerned with far more than slaughter. Halal animals have to be raised and fed properly, allowed to roam outside, and not tied up unless necessary. At the time of slaughter, they are to be taken aside one by one (so that the others can't see and become frightened), and approached from behind so that they can't see the knife.

Of course slaughter without pain relief is inhumane by today's standards - but all slaughter is inhumane, particularly our "superior" factory-farming methods. Halal slaughter was, for its time, a respectful way of raising and consuming animals for food. Now it has changed, become industrial in scale, welfare conditions have plummeted and it's little different from any other form of slaughter. Something like 90% of halal meat comes from animals that were pre-stunned, so even that is changing, and on these production lines the recitation of prayers is substituted for a tape recording on loop.

If you have ethical objections to the various methods of slaughtering animals for food, either stop eating meat altogether or try to improve slaughter conditions by supporting organisations like Compassion in World Farming and the Humane Slaughter Association. All else is hot air.

If you have ethical objections to the various methods of slaughtering animals for food, either stop eating meat altogether or try to improve slaughter conditions by supporting organisations like Compassion in World Farming and the Humane Slaughter Association. All else is hot air.

Absolutely spot on. You will never ever ever ever stop people killing and eating animals. Do your bit by not eating meat or give them as good a life as possible and as swift and painless a death as possible. Compassion In World Farming is an excellent organisation.

P.

What difference does it make? Morrissey's views are fairly well-known, I can't see how the animal is killed makes one iota of difference to him. Or me. Or most people who have reservations about meat-eating to be honest.

I also think that Halal and Kosher meat is meant to.be blessed prior to the slitting of the throat which some may argue at least shows some respect to the animal.

How you can suggest the mass-market meat industy treat animals any better or more humanely is quite frankly an utter fallacy and is just another cheap and nasty shot adding to the ever increasing Islamophobia that the Western world seems hell-bent on pursuing.

Or maybe that was actually your point? The Britain First website is over there. On the far right.

I had no clue what Britain First is so your comment made me google it and I found their website and this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=76&v=nzRliBASdCc

1:16 into it a female member is smoking AND using her asthma spray. This made me LOL a lot today so thank you for that although it had little to do with the debate here but I just had to mention it.

I had no clue what Britain First is so your comment made me google it and I found their website and this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=76&v=nzRliBASdCc

1:16 into it a female member is smoking AND using her asthma spray. This made me LOL a lot today so thank you for that although it had little to do with the debate here but I just had to mention it.

The question is 'are you gonna come over here and face the patriots of Britain' lol

Racist? Islam is a religion not a race.

This is a none issue. Race is a social construction and followers of the Islamic faith have in some parts of the west been subject to highly racialized attacks. Sort of like how Judaism is a religion, but we recognize Nazi propaganda as being racist in nature due the racialized way it dealt with Jewish individuals.

I am also rather curious why our friend chose to spend all this time on halal meat practices and say nothing about kosher slaughter practices which are essentially the same.

Well just look at how Morrissey was attacked when he called the Chinese a 'sub species' regarding the way they kill dogs and cats. Even though he is correct in this judgement, imagine the backlash if he put his thoughts forward about Halal meat. But as itsverycold mentioned in their comment, 'meat is murder' covers all type of meat..regardless how it is killed.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't hold your breath on Morrissey engaging in an open, reasonable, thought-provoking dialogue on various animal kill techniques. This is a guy who forces 5 minutes of graphic slaughter videos on people who are out for night of entertainment.

Well it is in context of the song, and if people who are out for a good night to watch his live shows don't realise by now that there would be a strong chance he would do 'meat is murder' then they are delusional. Morrissey isn't forcing anything onto anyone. His concert is his arena, you chose to go there, he can display and sing whatever the f he wants. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom