Surrendered will I am before you - true-to-you.net

Morrissey about the tour

Surrendered will I am before you - true-to-you.net
31 March 2015

We tender and render very sincere thanks to you for our triumphant March tour. The guilt I feel at my own happiness …

The nights that hit precisely:

1. Birmingham Barclaycard Arena
2. Glasgow SSE Hydro
3. Leeds First Direct Arena
4. Cardiff Motorpoint Arena
5. Bournemouth International Center
6. Nottingham Capital FM Arena
7. Groningen, Holland de Oosterpoort Main Hall
8. Belfast Odyssey Arena
9. Tilburg, Holland 013

Thank you for being there, and for showing such vigorous and loud support. We shall breast the tape at Barcelona and Murcia (Spain) in April and May, and then we square up for four nights at the Sydney Opera House in Australia. Good times for a change.

Is it illegal to be this happy? Thank you, also, to everyone who has managed to download "Kiss me a lot" from iTunes. We value your interest and encouragement beyond measure.

Below is a film clip of Matt's emphatic conclusion to the joy of Birmingham.
Merci beaucoup! ¡Gracias! Grazie! Dank je! Danke schön! Domo arigato!

Morrissey
31 March 2015

kit_thrash_1.gif

... and Matt's exhilaration elsewhere on the tour ...

kit_thrash_2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My god it's so pathetic that i get giddy hearing him mention Australia. They are crumbs, but very welcome crumbs. The Opera house can go f*** itself though for that circus they call a ballot.

Giddy, yes, now that is a life of pathetic opera that must be endured. Crumbs should never be welcome, as they fall into the crevices of flesh that the younger self never imagined ever having. Circuses should be banned in total. And ballet has its place, yet so cutthroat competitively. And second to last, so enigmatic, beautiful, thrusting and short lived, the opera house.... xx

Hi Surface

First, glad you enjoyed your Brum night out last Friday even though you had the misfortune of sharing an "elevator" with beaky Riley (is it illegal to be so hugely beaked ?) oh well, never mind.
You said in a previous post that the set list wasn't the best so my question is why not ? What was you expecting or hoping for ?
(Also would I be right in thinking you live in the vicinity of Macclesfield ?)

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Didn't realise who she was until she mentioned she was involved with Morrissey, it suddenly clicked in my drunken mind who she was. To be fair she wasn't showing off or anything and she only told me who she was after I asked if she was Julia, she actually seemed quite a nice person.

Song wise, less off the new album, when I saw James at the same venue on the Le Petite Mort tour they played about 5 songs off the new album and they were spaced out through the set, which maintained the atmosphere, Morrissey played 5 in a row and some others from World Peace, which was ok but probably the same approach as James would have worked better. but hey ho, it's his right to do what he wants.

Not particularly bothered about more Smiths stuff, saw them a couple of times and thought they were ok but I am also one of the few people who saw Joy Division twice in a week supporting Buzzcocks and thought they were utter shite. So what do I know, although I did move on to becoming a huge fan of New Order

See you have joined the dots with the Macclesfield question, yes in the area and just down the road from Bernard Sumner from New Order bizarrely.

is that morrissey impersonating benny the butcher!!!!
how the mighty have fallen, poor steven..

No, it's Benny impersonating himself (Steven, unlike Benny, has a life and wouldn't waste it on someone he professes to hate).
Benny has a very severe split love/hate personality disorder and, thanks to the medication starting to kick in, he's now going to show his love side more (the medication also improves his spelling and grammar - it's a win-win situation!).
I'll be popping in from time to time to remind Benny to turn off his computer and leave his bedroom to take his medication. He's much nicer and far more rational when he does.

Benny-the-British-Butcher's-Mum

Easy to spot the reall Benny though so once again Benny is your owner.

You've nailed it once again Benny

Benny "umpteen" -------Impressionists "kin-nill"

Turn off your computer, leave your bedroom and take your meds, Benny!!!

Benny-the-British-Butcher's-Mum

a student blog? notice they conveniently ignore the attendance question.
as attendance figures go, birmingham topped the list with a 65 percent success rate, in case anyone is curious.

Seeing as Johnny waited 25 years to start his solo career while Morrissey shouldered the Smiths' legacy all these years, it's not as though Johnny has the choice to pick and play arenas by himself and further demand that they go all veg. He is simply not nearly as big a draw, so he has to play much smaller venues while the Moz-haters opine that it's due to artistic choice.

I think Johnny gets off easy, lying relatively low for such a long time, then swooping in as if to say, "Hey, I'm coming forward to claim my legacy!" And of course the UK music journos are happy to give him all the sloppy seconds Moz has rejected: Morrissey won't grant interviews to them, he doesn't want the crappy NME fake awards, so let's give 'em to Johnny.

It's almost as though the old-time fans resent Morrissey for becoming famous beyond The Smiths, they want to pretend that Johnny is now the greatest guitarist and frontman of all time, for not "selling out," for staying small and unknown. Yes, we get it. Morrissey and The Smiths were all yours once upon a time, not for the masses who were not privy to them. But, oh no, now they're hip and it's cool to like them. Boo hoo.

Imagine if Morrissey had laid low for 25 years. I don't think The Smiths would be as popular as they are today. Many new fans know of them through Moz because he stayed in the public eye. The ironic thing is that The Smiths Facebook page looks more like a Johnny Marr fan page because whoever's running that page knows Johnny needs all that help, while Morrissey has his own large following built up over decades by himself, without their help.

What the f*** does that even mean? You speak as if Morrissey today was selling out Wembley Stadium, rather than playing Tilburg on a wet Wednesday. Utterly f***ing delusional.

I'm getting a little tired of being lectured on how insignificant the Smiths were by children who have barely grown hair they can sit on. Compare and contrast Rank, or the better bootlegs such as Genius Steals or Same Day Again. Put up against the current band and material it is like comparing excrement to cream. You saying the opposite doesn't make it right.

If you still entertain the belief that Art Hounds or Bullfighter or Istanbul is even approaching equal to, let alone better than anything the Smiths ever released I suggest you seek urgent medical attention, but do it quickly. If you're lucky it'll only be your ears.

As for Morrissey not being "ours" anymore I doubt I'm alone when I say please, please, take him away. He serves no further useful purpose. The whole "tofu in a basket" Rolling Blunder Tour thing is numbingly tedious.

What the f*** does that even mean? You speak as if Morrissey today was selling out Wembley Stadium, rather than playing Tilburg on a wet Wednesday. Utterly f***ing delusional.

I'm getting a little tired of being lectured on how insignificant the Smiths were by children who have barely grown hair they can sit on. Compare and contrast Rank, or the better bootlegs such as Genius Steals or Same Day Again. Put up against the current band and material it is like comparing excrement to cream. You saying the opposite doesn't make it right.

If you still entertain the belief that Art Hounds or Bullfighter or Istanbul is even approaching equal to, let alone better than anything the Smiths ever released I suggest you seek urgent medical attention, but do it quickly. If you're lucky it'll only be your ears.

As for Morrissey not being "ours" anymore I doubt I'm alone when I say please, please, take him away. He serves no further useful purpose. The whole "tofu in a basket" Rolling Blunder Tour thing is numbingly tedious.

I agree with some of what you say, but not the bit about Moz not serving a purpose. I really enjoyed his Dublin concert and love the World Peace album. I also believe his voice is better than ever. Some new songwriters would help move him forward.

if anyone is utterly f***ing delusional, it's you. you and the six or seven other people who visit this forum daily just to spout your boring bilious repetitive bullshit have managed to turn a series of shows in huge arenas throughout the uk into a complete fiasco. this is all in your heads though. the shows were well-received and well-attended. no matter how many times the little group of naysayers say otherwise will change that.

thanks for the weather report for tilburg. I hope you'll provide more coverage when Morrissey is playing as one of the top billed acts at two massive festivals or when he's playing one of his four sold out nights at one of the most iconic music venues in the world. hope it's nice and sunny so that everyone can see what an utter shambles this tour is.

if anyone is utterly f***ing delusional, it's you. you and the six or seven other people who visit this forum daily just to spout your boring bilious repetitive bullshit have managed to turn a series of shows in huge arenas throughout the uk into a complete fiasco. this is all in your heads though. the shows were well-received and well-attended. no matter how many times the little group of naysayers say otherwise will change that.

thanks for the weather report for tilburg. I hope you'll provide more coverage when Morrissey is playing as one of the top billed acts at two massive festivals or when he's playing one of his four sold out nights at one of the most iconic music venues in the world. hope it's nice and sunny so that everyone can see what an utter shambles this tour is.

Try and keep some perspective, please. In Australia they point when a plane goes over. Stephen Fry sold out two nights at the Sydney Opera House.

While we are at it, let's try not to pretend eight thousand sold tickets equaltes to eight thousand different people. Fans here were saying they were going to two or three nights.

I agree with your views on the band, as a unit the Smiths were far better. I saw The Smiths 3 times although one gig stopped on the first song as some tosser chucked a coin which hit Morrissey on the head. The first gig was ok, the second stopped but the 3rd was majestic, they played at The Summer of the 10th festival at the GMex in Manchester. It was an all day gig which kicked off with OMD and I actually went to see the headline act who were New Order but thought the smiths stole the day.

Agree 100%. Completely ridiculous.

I agree with your views on the band, as a unit the Smiths were far better. I saw The Smiths 3 times although one gig stopped on the first song as some tosser chucked a coin which hit Morrissey on the head. The first gig was ok, the second stopped but the 3rd was majestic, they played at The Summer of the 10th festival at the GMex in Manchester. It was an all day gig which kicked off with OMD and I actually went to see the headline act who were New Order but thought the smiths stole the day.

Moz says: "The word is well established that the Morrissey band is not as good as the Smiths, or even up to much in their own right. It is an accusation that I must live with for the rest of my life, irrespective of how often the line up changes."

So, why this discussion yet again? Why keep repeating it again and again? As if that would change anything. It just gets tiresome after 30 years and it's not even the right thread to discuss it (if it is absolutely necessary for some people). I know many around here say that Moz's health problems aren't as bad as he wants everybody to believe and that he is a tad melodramatic but we don't know for sure. He may drop dead tomorrow and people still afflicting him with such shit. I find it quite pathetic to be honest.

i would suggest 'modified' arenas a more apt description. modified for a smaller audience. i suggest 5 to 6 thousand at each show with maybe 7 topping at birmingham.

Try and keep some perspective, please. In Australia they point when a plane goes over. Stephen Fry sold out two nights at the Sydney Opera House.

While we are at it, let's try not to pretend eight thousand sold tickets equaltes to eight thousand different people. Fans here were saying they were going to two or three nights.

Holy desperation, Barleycorn. The tour was successful, Morrissey is successful. Deal with it.

Holy desperation, Barleycorn. The tour was successful, Morrissey is successful. Deal with it.

Where did I say it wasn't? My original post on this topic was dealing specifically with a point raised by (yet another) anonymous poster claiming that the Smiths were essentially irrelevant.

As you cannot even sign in I suppose expecting you to follow a thread over more than a page is even further beyond your abilities.

i would call the tour a minor success, modestly attended shows in the 4000 range. not bad, but nothing worth bragging about.

Back
Top Bottom