Birmingham - Barclaycard Arena (Mar. 27, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Istanbul / Kiss Me A Lot / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / One Of Our Own / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Scandinavia / Speedway / I'm Not A Man / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / The Bullfighter Dies / People Are The Same Everywhere / Meat is Murder / What She Said // Everyday Is Like Sunday

setlist provided by Famous When Dead.

• Review by Adrian Caffery (4 of 5 stars) - Birmingham Mail
  • Review by Richard Franks; Photo Gallery by Jonathan Morgan (17 total) - Counteract

birmingham2.jpg
  • Photo by Jonathan Morgan, Counteract, posted by @counteract / Twitter. Link posted by docinwestchester.

birmingham.jpg
  • Photos by Daniel Robson (20 total) - A Music Blog, Yea? Link posted by docinwestchester.

Morrissey-Barclaycard-Arena-Birmingham-Daniel-Robson-1.jpg
  • Morrissey fans help busker - Birmingham Mail - Mar. 28, 2015

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

You must have been just in front of us. Never been to a Mozza gig before so very exciting to finally make it.
Great venue, I thought the band were on top form, would have liked FOTG and fewer songs from WPINOYB (yes I know he was touring this album) but other than that great set.

Last edited by a moderator:
This gig was the first time I'd seen Morrissey live in 23 years! I had previously seen him play in Chicago on the Kill Uncle & Your Arsenal tours of 1991 and 1992. The first gig in '91 was one of the best gigs of my life, we ditched high school and queued up all day to secure front row seats at the Aragon Ballroom and the atmosphere was incredible. I caught and retained parts of both of his shirts, handed him a book of Oscar Wilde poetry which he read from the stage, and my friend, who was an even bigger Moz freak than I, needed to be collected from hospital after the gig due to concussion after numerous attempts at climbing onstage and fighting an army of bouncers.

Of course, things have changed in more than two decades. Morrissey may not be throwing himself flamboyantly all over the stage the stage these days but he was still a charismatic performer and was singing very powerfully, with plenty of witty between song banter.

I thought the crowd would consist of middle aged men with greying hair or balding heads but was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of younger people, teens and early 20's, throughout the crowd, who all seemed to know the new album word for word. The way they all bounced up and down singing along to the opening riff of The Bullfighter Dies, with just as much enthusiasm and gusto as they had to bona-fide classics such as Suedehead, was a clear sign that Morrissey is reaching a new audience as well as his die-hard fans.

The set was dominated by the new album and it's extra tracks (Scandinavia was especially good) with a few well-chosen Smiths numbers (What She Said was particularly powerful and The Queen Is Dead was a great opening song, though Stop Me.... was played a little slugglishly in my opinion) and solo tracks. A well balanced set, but when you have a back catalogue as rich as Morrissey's, then no matter what he plays there'll always be a long list of other songs you'll be left wishing you'd heard.

Personally, I was very happy to hear People Are The Same Everywhere in the set. This is a classic Morrissey lyric and I don't understand why people slag it off so much. I would much rather hear him put more obscure songs like this into his set rather than the same old obvious hits like How Soon Is Now or Suedehead, no matter how great they are.

One of the highlights of the set was in the breakdown of Speedway where the audience took over Mozza's accapella segment of Irish Blood English Heart. A really beautiful spontaneous moment hearing those lyrics being sung by so many in the pitch black dark.

The Meat Is Murder video was indeed horrific and I saw people leave the crush of the crowd, turn away, or even faint and get carried out whilst it was playing, but hey, this is something that Morrissey has always felt strongly about and it seems that this video is here to stay in his live set, so we'd better just get used to it. I thought it was a strong performance and loved Mozza's lyrical additions ("ham,lamb, kebab, spam, MURDER" etc) which show that he can marry humour and horror to push his point home. At the end it seemed as if the audience simply didn't know how to react. The applause was muted, as it felt so wrong to clap after what we had just seen.

I went for a Mcdonalds afterwards and it was disgusting.

Everyday Is Like Sunday was a decent encore, but seemed to be more of an opportunity for the disciples to touch the hand of their idol rather than a serious rendition of the song, which hardly matters as the audience were singing the words full force anyway. When Morrissey ripped off his shirt he looked to be in pretty good shape. The battery in my camera died at this exact point, his torso exposed and his shirt pressed into his face.

All in all a great gig. I took along a friend who was seeing Morrissey for the first time and he loved it, saying that the legend didn't disappoint.

Here's hoping that he gets in the studio and records the next album very soon and gets back on the road. I'll definitely be going to see him again!

Last edited:
This gig was the first time I'd seen Morrissey live in 23 years! I had previously seen him play in Chicago on the Kill Uncle & Your Arsenal tours of 1991 and 1992. The first gig in '91 was one of the best gigs of my life, we ditched high school and queued up all day to secure front row seats at the Aragon Ballroom and the atmosphere was incredible. I caught and retained parts of both of his shirts, handed him a book of Oscar Wilde poetry which he read from the stage, and my friend, who was an even bigger Moz freak than I, needed to be collected from hospital after the gig due to concussion after numerous attempts at climbing onstage and fighting an army of bouncers.

Of course, things have changed in more than two decades. Morrissey may not be throwing himself flamboyantly all over the stage the stage these days but he was still a charismatic performer and was singing very powerfully, with plenty of witty between song banter.

I thought the crowd would consist of middle aged men with greying hair or balding heads but was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of younger people, teens and early 20's, throughout the crowd, who all seemed to know the new album word for word. The way they all bounced up and down singing along to the opening riff of The Bullfighter Dies, with just as much enthusiasm and gusto as they had to bona-fide classics such as Suedehead, was a clear sign that Morrissey is reaching a new audience as well as his die-hard fans.

The set was dominated by the new album and it's extra tracks (Scandinavia was especially good) with a few well-chosen Smiths numbers (What She Said was particularly powerful and The Queen Is Dead was a great opening song, though Stop Me.... was played a little slugglishly in my opinion) and solo tracks. A well balanced set, but when you have a back catalogue as rich as Morrissey's, then no matter what he plays there'll always be a long list of other songs you'll be left wishing you'd heard.

Personally, I was very happy to hear People Are The Same Everywhere in the set. This is a classic Morrissey lyric and I don't understand why people slag it off so much. I would much rather hear him put more obscure songs like this into his set rather than the same old obvious hits like How Soon Is Now or Suedehead, no matter how great they are.

The Meat Is Murder video was indeed horrific and I saw people leave the crush of the crowd, turn away, or even faint and get carried out whilst it was playing, but hey, this is something that Morrissey has always felt strongly about and it seems that this video is here to stay in his live set, so we'd better just get used to it. I thought it was a strong performance and loved Mozza's lyrical additions ("ham,lamb, kebab, spam, MURDER" etc) which show that he can marry humour and horror to push his point home. At the end it seemed as if the audience simply didn't know how to react. The applause was muted, as it felt so wrong to clap after what we had just seen.

I went for a Mcdonalds afterwards and it was disgusting.

Everyday Is Like Sunday was a decent encore, but seemed to be more of an opportunity for the disciples to touch the hand of their idol rather than a serious rendition of the song, which hardly matters as the audience were singing the words full force anyway. When Morrissey ripped off his shirt he looked to be in pretty good shape. The battery in my camera died at this exact point, his torso exposed and his shirt pressed into his face.

All in all a great gig. I took along a friend who was seeing Morrissey for the first time and he loved it, saying that the legend didn't disappoint.

Here's hoping that he gets in the studio and records the next album very soon and gets back on the road. I'll definitely be going to see him again!

You ate meat after the show?!

Some really good reviews here (among the bile from mainly, it has to be said, anon contributors).

I thought the gig was excellent. I'll just set out 5 quick thoughts here:

1. Morrissey looked and sounded better than I have seen him for years. He looked really toned and healthy. His voice was strong (heard one croak all night) and he seemed content and connected with the Birmingham crowd.

2. Highlights for me were Kiss Me A Lot, What She Said, Crashing Bores, I'm Not A Man, Suedehead and Speedway - the latter was stunning and very powerfully played.

3. There was a slight audience sag in the middle of the set (from One of Our Own onwards) and overall the WPINOYB stuff wasn't as frenetically received as the Smiths/early Mozzer stuff but the atmosphere was generally excellent throughout.

4. The NIA was around 85% full in my opinion - the crowd was a real mix with a younger audience than I expected generally. On the way out the general consensus was massively positive and that the vibrant crowd had been more than matched by Moz and the band.

5. Given that the NIA is cavernous and soulless and hideously corporate what was most astonishing was how intimate the gig felt given the bloated surroundings. MiM was polemically brilliant and you could literally feel the atmosphere change in the hall.

A fantastic night, followed by drinks and clubbing afterwards!

Thanks to those who have posted up photos, videos and their thoughts. Really appreciated!

it was not the best nor the worst concert in my experience. the set list was ho hum and the smallish crowd totally unconnected, conversing amongst themselves while morrissey sang.
the front of the stage was controlled in great part by middle aged men that clinged to their post with ferocity, pushing aside all comers. perhaps they are the infamous blue rose society?

it was not the best nor the worst concert in my experience. the set list was ho hum and the smallish crowd totally unconnected, conversing amongst themselves while morrissey sang.
the front of the stage was controlled in great part by middle aged men that clinged to their post with ferocity, pushing aside all comers. perhaps they are the infamous blue rose society?

The front are not blue rose assholes, but rather people who are either on the guest list or have queued all day.

The front are not blue rose assholes, but rather people who are either on the guest list or have queued all day.

They're not guest listed. Those on the barrier are from the 'queue', but the majority make their way to the front during the videos. People don't realise that when Morrissey comes on stage the push releases room. Those of us who are seasoned at this malarky know how to get to the front with ease. I do it all the time. The O2 in London was an absolute doddle as they provided lanes at the side so I just walked right up to the side of the stage and in I popped.

The 'queue' isn't really that. Most turn up, claim a place on the list and return later to take that place.

He's been doing it for at least thirty years, why are people who buy tickets for his shows surprised by this?

Well..... to be fair, the "Meat is Murder" live presentations since 2011 are really what's at issue here. The accompanying video has been increasingly graphic.

And, just to check your facts, prior to 2011, there was no video. Further, I don't believe the song had been played in concert since 2000 and 2002 prior to it becoming a nightly staple in 2011. And before that, it was with the Smiths.

Last edited:

Smallish crowd? Where you really there? The venue holds 15800 in a standing/seating configuration. A number of posters have suggested 85% full, that's 13400 ish, personally I would say that's not a smallish attendance.

Smallish crowd? Where you really there? The venue holds 15800 in a standing/seating configuration. A number of posters have suggested 85% full, that's 13400 ish, personally I would say that's not a smallish attendance.

Firstly, I'm not the same Anon who posted the "smallish crowd" comment. However, for the purposes of accuracy I feel the need to point out that not all of the venue was used on Friday night. I also saw Morrissey play here about 9 or 10 years ago. On Friday the stage was placed forward so that only about 2/3rds of the space was used. I'm sure that the 15800 capacity refers to when the stage is set back further than it was.

I was there - and it was certainly around 85/90% full. The photographs posted on this thread indicate how full it was in the standing section and bar a corner bank the seated area looked full to me too.

I do wonder at anon posters who put stuff like this up on this site. Why not put your name to your thoughts/claims if they are genuinely meant and why are the most hostile/misleading posts always by 'anon'.

I was there - and it was certainly around 85/90% full. The photographs posted on this thread indicate how full it was in the standing section and bar a corner bank the seated area looked full to me too.

I do wonder at anon posters who put stuff like this up on this site. Why not put your name to your thoughts/claims if they are genuinely meant and why are the most hostile/misleading posts always by 'anon'.

I saw a picture of the audience area, standing and seated area, online on the night that the concert happened. Curious if this was the whole arena, I looked pictures up on venue's website and counted the seated sections on the side, which turned out to be only 30% of the hole. You have to add the whole seating at the back, so let's be nice and say that audience area covered 50% of the capacity. Of THIS people say 85% were filled. I have looked for the picture but cannot find it right now.

I'd have kept it to myself, but you asked for it.

That people lie, who go to the concerts and use this website, is nothing new.

With only 50% capacity here and possibly elsewhere he'll still have made 1.5+ million GBP sales for a fortnight of concerts, which isn't bad for a small company like his.
It only means however that he doesn't fill arenas full of blokes, so I have to take that back, he fills 50+% of arenas with blokes.

15,800 capacity is for the venue in its largest configuration, a much smaller set-up was used on Friday night (it can go down to just under 2,500) and it wasn't sold out - there were a lot of empty seats and plenty of stranding room.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom