Birmingham - Barclaycard Arena (Mar. 27, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Istanbul / Kiss Me A Lot / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / One Of Our Own / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Scandinavia / Speedway / I'm Not A Man / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / The Bullfighter Dies / People Are The Same Everywhere / Meat is Murder / What She Said // Everyday Is Like Sunday

setlist provided by Famous When Dead.

• Review by Adrian Caffery (4 of 5 stars) - Birmingham Mail
  • Review by Richard Franks; Photo Gallery by Jonathan Morgan (17 total) - Counteract

birmingham2.jpg
  • Photo by Jonathan Morgan, Counteract, posted by @counteract / Twitter. Link posted by docinwestchester.

birmingham.jpg
  • Photos by Daniel Robson (20 total) - A Music Blog, Yea? Link posted by docinwestchester.

Morrissey-Barclaycard-Arena-Birmingham-Daniel-Robson-1.jpg
  • Morrissey fans help busker - Birmingham Mail - Mar. 28, 2015

Last edited:
I always imagine RB sitting alone in her room, in front of a mirror, repeating the word "sycophant" over and over again to herself and then laughing maniacally into the empty air, only to calm down and begin repeating it all over again.

Sycophant is what she calls her mouldy old dildo

15,800 capacity is for the venue in its largest configuration, a much smaller set-up was used on Friday night (it can go down to just under 2,500) and it wasn't sold out - there were a lot of empty seats and plenty of stranding room.

making it look sold out doesnt it make it sold out, you noticed it too.configuration used was for a half full house, but for some reason it can be accepted here as true by the mozzeralians.

I saw a picture of the audience area, standing and seated area, online on the night that the concert happened. Curious if this was the whole arena, I looked pictures up on venue's website and counted the seated sections on the side, which turned out to be only 30% of the hole. You have to add the whole seating at the back, so let's be nice and say that audience area covered 50% of the capacity. Of THIS people say 85% were filled. I have looked for the picture but cannot find it right now.

I'd have kept it to myself, but you asked for it.

That people lie, who go to the concerts and use this website, is nothing new.

With only 50% capacity here and possibly elsewhere he'll still have made 1.5+ million GBP sales for a fortnight of concerts, which isn't bad for a small company like his.
It only means however that he doesn't fill arenas full of blokes, so I have to take that back, he fills 50+% of arenas with blokes.

An anonymous person who didn't attend, comes to this conclusion. Fantastic. If someone could let me know how to post photos I will post what the venue looked like on the night.

An anonymous person who didn't attend, comes to this conclusion. Fantastic. If someone could let me know how to post photos I will post what the venue looked like on the night.

ill try as someone once did this for me.

i believe you take the url address and place it between these two brackets with no empty space
. hope that helps as im not good at all really with tech

I wouldn't worry about it, we can all see how packed the venue looked on the photos and Youtube videos. These 'anon' posts are probably by the same person, someone who holds a grudge against Morrissey and has too much time on their hands. It's very sad...

I wouldn't worry about it, we can all see how packed the venue looked on the photos and Youtube videos. These 'anon' posts are probably by the same person, someone who holds a grudge against Morrissey and has too much time on their hands. It's very sad...

Correct - there's a small handful of people here using registered names and also posting as Anon who share an anti-Moz agenda or vendetta, call it what you will. They have serious anger and other issues if they are compelled so much time on a website devoted to someone they pretend to hate. Everyone knows that sheer indifference would be a more persuasive response to their professed annoyance and lack of interest.

This gig was the first time I'd seen Morrissey live in 23 years! I had previously seen him play in Chicago on the Kill Uncle & Your Arsenal tours of 1991 and 1992. The first gig in '91 was one of the best gigs of my life, we ditched high school and queued up all day to secure front row seats at the Aragon Ballroom and the atmosphere was incredible. I caught and retained parts of both of his shirts, handed him a book of Oscar Wilde poetry which he read from the stage, and my friend, who was an even bigger Moz freak than I, needed to be collected from hospital after the gig due to concussion after numerous attempts at climbing onstage and fighting an army of bouncers.

Of course, things have changed in more than two decades. Morrissey may not be throwing himself flamboyantly all over the stage the stage these days but he was still a charismatic performer and was singing very powerfully, with plenty of witty between song banter.

I thought the crowd would consist of middle aged men with greying hair or balding heads but was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of younger people, teens and early 20's, throughout the crowd, who all seemed to know the new album word for word. The way they all bounced up and down singing along to the opening riff of The Bullfighter Dies, with just as much enthusiasm and gusto as they had to bona-fide classics such as Suedehead, was a clear sign that Morrissey is reaching a new audience as well as his die-hard fans.

The set was dominated by the new album and it's extra tracks (Scandinavia was especially good) with a few well-chosen Smiths numbers (What She Said was particularly powerful and The Queen Is Dead was a great opening song, though Stop Me.... was played a little slugglishly in my opinion) and solo tracks. A well balanced set, but when you have a back catalogue as rich as Morrissey's, then no matter what he plays there'll always be a long list of other songs you'll be left wishing you'd heard.

Personally, I was very happy to hear People Are The Same Everywhere in the set. This is a classic Morrissey lyric and I don't understand why people slag it off so much. I would much rather hear him put more obscure songs like this into his set rather than the same old obvious hits like How Soon Is Now or Suedehead, no matter how great they are.

One of the highlights of the set was in the breakdown of Speedway where the audience took over Mozza's accapella segment of Irish Blood English Heart. A really beautiful spontaneous moment hearing those lyrics being sung by so many in the pitch black dark.

The Meat Is Murder video was indeed horrific and I saw people leave the crush of the crowd, turn away, or even faint and get carried out whilst it was playing, but hey, this is something that Morrissey has always felt strongly about and it seems that this video is here to stay in his live set, so we'd better just get used to it. I thought it was a strong performance and loved Mozza's lyrical additions ("ham,lamb, kebab, spam, MURDER" etc) which show that he can marry humour and horror to push his point home. At the end it seemed as if the audience simply didn't know how to react. The applause was muted, as it felt so wrong to clap after what we had just seen.

I went for a Mcdonalds afterwards and it was disgusting.

Everyday Is Like Sunday was a decent encore, but seemed to be more of an opportunity for the disciples to touch the hand of their idol rather than a serious rendition of the song, which hardly matters as the audience were singing the words full force anyway. When Morrissey ripped off his shirt he looked to be in pretty good shape. The battery in my camera died at this exact point, his torso exposed and his shirt pressed into his face.

All in all a great gig. I took along a friend who was seeing Morrissey for the first time and he loved it, saying that the legend didn't disappoint.

Here's hoping that he gets in the studio and records the next album very soon and gets back on the road. I'll definitely be going to see him again!

This is a really good review, thanks. It’s nice to hear about the times you saw him all that time ago as well, sounds amazing.

A lot of reviewers have mentioned being surprised that so many young people are attending the shows, I don’t understand why. Anyone with any taste would like Morrissey and the Smiths, age has nothing to do with it. Therefore it would make sense to expect a mixture of ages, which is exactly what we’ve got. Another thing I don’t get is why some of these older fans don’t have his recent albums. If you like a musician it should follow that you collect the music.

I too am shocked that you went for McDonalds after the show. You watch animal abuse, feel horrified by it, and then decide to contribute to it afterwards? How does that work? It would be like watching a video about children being killed in the diamond mines and then buying a diamond ring afterwards. See what I mean?... I gather that you won’t be touching another meat burger now that you find them disgusting.

Thanks again for your review.

Correct - there's a small handful of people here using registered names and also posting as Anon who share an anti-Moz agenda or vendetta, call it what you will. They have serious anger and other issues if they are compelled so much time on a website devoted to someone they pretend to hate. Everyone knows that sheer indifference would be a more persuasive response to their professed annoyance and lack of interest.

look again, its the moz lovers that are always hating on everyone. if you dont agree with something as innocuous as noticing that a show is not nearly sold out, they will insult you,calling a twat, among other things.

look again, its the moz lovers that are always hating on everyone. if you dont agree with something as innocuous as noticing that a show is not nearly sold out, they will insult you,calling a twat, among other things.

The "Moz Lovers", as you call them, never denied that the show wasn't completely sold out. What makes the continuously emerging anonymous posts, who now adress the matter of "sold out" or "not sould out" several times in almost every post-show thread, so annoying is the question: What does it matter if the show was completely sold out or not? What are they trying to imply? It remains the same "stale aftertaste" as in Moz's autobiography when his fathers tells him "You didn't win." Is that the point of it all? To imply failure? If that is the aim it would be quite pathetic and a bit ridiculous and also an exaggeration given that the audience surely consisted of more than 3 people.

Look again twat. There are a number of anons, you being one, writing about a gig that they didn't attend. Other posters are not Necessary Morrissey lovers but people who actually attended the gig and are sick of anons like you posting lies.

The "Moz Lovers", as you call them, never denied that the show wasn't completely sold out. What makes the continuously emerging anonymous posts, who now adress the matter of "sold out" or "not sould out" several times in almost every post-show thread, so annoying is the question: What does it matter if the show was completely sold out or not? What are they trying to imply? It remains the same "stale aftertaste" as in Moz's autobiography when his fathers tells him "You didn't win." Is that the point of it all? To imply failure? If that is the aim it would be quite pathetic and a bit ridiculous and also an exaggeration given that the audience surely consisted of more than 3 people.

well said and i agree and implication

now anons hating on anons.
thats what id like to know, what does it matter if it is NOT sold out? there is no ulterior motive, except stating a fact, but the moz lovers seem to react defensively and with unmeasured hysteria.

Well..... to be fair, the "Meat is Murder" live presentations since 2011 are really what's at issue here. The accompanying video has been increasingly graphic.

And, just to check your facts, prior to 2011, there was no video. Further, I don't believe the song had been played in concert since 2000 and 2002 prior to it becoming a nightly staple in 2011. And before that, it was with the Smiths.

ehh, the song/album Meat is Murder has been around longer than i've been alive (and sadly I'm not even that young) and us militant veggies love to talk about it, so I really do not know why people are so surprised - morrissey is always yapping on about the meat industry.

I love him for it, tbh.

now anons hating on anons.
thats what id like to know, what does it matter if it is NOT sold out? there is no ulterior motive, except stating a fact, but the moz lovers seem to react defensively and with unmeasured hysteria.

I remember I saw morrissey in 1969. He was ace! He was wore cowboy boots and wad chewing tabacco and spitting it straight into the mouths of the blue rose society.

He actually played with a screen that showed Johnny Marr typing out his autobiography one letter at a time (lolz! Srsly you dont know how to touch type?) on a continuous loop.

I actually saw him in a smallish venue ( I think capacity like 60 or something?). To be fair the venue was repurposed from a kids party room to a concert. I must admit, if Im completely honest, there were heaps of empty seats in the playgym and a few kids whose names all had a 'ben' somewhere in the name ( names like Benjamin, Ben Jnr, Benji, Benja,Benta, Ben 10 etc etc - and they all wore white coats with red blood stains on them like they were butchers or something).

Setlist contained all the usuals:Alma mamma mantra, Sleet is Murderous (Only when its Rainin'), Your the one for me Catty, and Im not a Man ( Actually a girl trapped in a mans body).

He also threw his cowboy hat into the crowed; instead of the crowd trying to catch it they let it fall to the ground where it conveniently landed on Soloman Walkers head ( It was quite a relief as he was feeling a bit naked with his slowly balding head)

Yours Truly,

Benny 'The B Man' Butcher

ehh, the song/album Meat is Murder has been around longer than i've been alive (and sadly I'm not even that young) and us militant veggies love to talk about it, so I really do not know why people are so surprised - morrissey is always yapping on about the meat industry.

I love him for it, tbh.

i think it funny that the video was at one point not supposed to be horrific but rather education for children. didnt have the desired effect when shown in cities

mozers bald spot is bigger and more noticeable than solomans.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom