Johnny Marr to release his autobiography in autumn 2016 at Century

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there in the general book buying world who are hugely interested in The Pretenders, The Cribs, Kirsty MacColl, Bernard Sumner, The Pet Shop Boys, Bryan Ferry, Modest Mouse, The The, Oasis, Girls Aloud (yes, really) and whatever 8 bazzilion other people Johnny has played with over the years. But, this being a Morrissey site, it's inevitable that 99.9% of the people here only give a toss about the Smiths, and nothing else Johnny has ever done. I'm sure there will be a big chunk of stuff on the Smiths, but not everyone shares that narrow focus of interest. Inlcuding, I suspect, Johnny himself.

its also i think somewhat important to note that not every one of those acts has nice things to say about marr. modest mouse for instance didnt seem to think he added much from the srticle i once read. personally i think that a credit to marr as brock can be an asshole at times but i dont know if either wants a bunch of it in print in a book. id be interested to see what marr had to say about them

Bernard Sumner still speaks extremely highly of Marr. Marrs best work was with he and Bernards "Electronic" side project. So underrated.

Bernard Sumner still speaks extremely highly of Marr. Marrs best work was with he and Bernards "Electronic" side project. So underrated.

agreed and it's the project post smiths that i always hold up to show that he had talent and still does. hell i still just play the albums for merit. after that i pull out the messenger. i think he works better with a real partner i.e one where they both go do an original project from scratch. he's obviously beyond talented and his playing inspired much of my own along with just his meditations on how to approach the guitar like for example when he said to write the outro first and then work backwards. i think expectations and his personality really made it hard for him to adjust post smiths. hes one of my hero's

Something tells me (well, Marr's comments after Morrissey's book came out tells me) that the Smiths chapters -- if we get more than one -- will be slim and dismissive.

Still, it could be interesting in a wider scope of the music industry. There'll be no "dirt" as they say. I don't think Marr's ever really given up the tatty truth.

What I'm REALLY waiting for is Andy and Mike's tome. Even if they print it with an indie publishing house (or go the self-published route, they could set many records straight and earn a nice little payday. Would love to hear the story from their perspective.

f*** me, i'd read Mike Joyce's autobiography. I follow him on twitter actually, and when this news about Johnny Marr's autobiography broke someone tweeted him and asked him if he was going to write one and he said something along the lines of 'never wanted to but starting to think he should'.

Nobody cares what Andy has to say, though.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom