TTY: Morrissey audience in Leeds, March 20th

Pro tip for Sam:

Tuck your elbows against your body when doing pan-and-scan to make your torso the tripod and your image more stable. Or place one hand on your shoulder like a half hug and put the camera on that arm's extended elbow and pan. :thumb:

"Alan Carr your country is looking to you to finish him off, he's on the ropes, the roof is falling off the covered wagon, do us a favour and put him in the ditch where he belongs.

Oh Harvest so much to thank you for

Benny-the-British-Butcher "

Nice to see BB is now upping the anti; he is also quoting an old children's song about the wheels of the bus! BB must have had a hard potty training. What a silly man.

Another video has emerged:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another video has emerged:

The video is a little misleading, to be fair. I remarked to the other half how empty it was, but it filled very quickly just prior to him coming on stage.

On balance, the arena can hold close to 8,000 full, but the stage was built around the halfway line (ice hockey venue) and had the big black curtain up.

The 'half' venue could have held 4,000ish, attendance looked circa 3,250 - 3500, not capacity or even close, but not as barren as that clip would suggest.

My honest opinion on why the tour is struggling, or failing to engage audiences? I think the album isn't very good. I hear tracks like Scandinavia,Istanbul or Kiss Me A Lot and they sound like regurgitated I Will See You In Far Off Places or Something Is Squeezing My Skull etc.

I'm still going to go see him again, and again, and again......but a lot of that crowd were simply bored and seemingly expected a greatest hits tour - which is not what our man is about.

Let me be clear on one thing - his voice is as good as it has ever been.

The video is a little misleading, to be fair. I remarked to the other half how empty it was, but it filled very quickly just prior to him coming on stage.

On balance, the arena can hold close to 8,000 full, but the stage was built around the halfway line (ice hockey venue) and had the big black curtain up.

The 'half' venue could have held 4,000ish, attendance looked circa 3,250 - 3500, not capacity or even close, but not as barren as that clip would suggest.

My honest opinion on why the tour is struggling, or failing to engage audiences? I think the album isn't very good. I hear tracks like Scandinavia,Istanbul or Kiss Me A Lot and they sound like regurgitated I Will See You In Far Off Places or Something Is Squeezing My Skull etc.

I'm still going to go see him again, and again, and again......but a lot of that crowd were simply bored and seemingly expected a greatest hits tour - which is not what our man is about.

Okay, you think the album isn't very good. It's your opinion, nothing against that. But to say that Scandinavia, Istanbul and Kiss Me A Lot sound like I Will See You In Far Off Places or Something Is Squeezing My Skull ... Really? There can't even be a discussion. They simply don't. There was someone around here suggesting that Morrissey should have been more experimental in his career and I laughed my head off. Most Morrissey fans are already close to breakdown when there is the slightest hint of foreign noises. So that clearly would have gone down well.

Yes, I agree that his voice sounds amazing. He hasn't lost that.

But yeah, he seems to be dialing it in. I can't explain how even from the barrier it was underwhelming.

Stage built on the halfway line ? Black curtains ?
Harvest records must be laughing their bollocks off at Silly Steven the Cheeseatarian.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Can anyone explain the point of these? why video a half empty arena, doesnt look good at all.

Yes, simple. His uncle is unable to simply walk out and have a look at the warm up to his own concert. So, he gets his nephew to go and do it for him.

Yes, I agree that his voice sounds amazing. He hasn't lost that.

But yeah, he seems to be dialing it in. I can't explain how even from the barrier it was underwhelming.

Having not been at any gigs since last June, all I can say is my impression is that the pacing of the shows seems all wrong. They start off pretty good (QID, Suedehead, Speedway, Staircase), but then in the middle there is a loooooooooong run of new songs (many of which are mid-to-slow tempo) mixed with a few older slow songs (Trouble Loves Me, Yes I Am Blind) and then comes the big finale - often involving Kick the Bride Down the Aisle, the Bullfighter Dies and Meat is Murder in some combination. And then a send-'em-home-happy encore. This is an overview, and yes there are a few other goodies mixed in somewhere, and sure some shows are paced better than others....but you get the idea.

Below is an off-the-cuff example of how just a few minor tweaks would make these shows better, without turning Moz into a Greatest Hits Act. 5-7 of the better WPINOYB songs per night, plus the right mix of older songs in the right order. Also please note substitution options to keep the set fresh. Nothing below is a total curve-ball, with the exception of 'Now My Heart is Full' (not played since 2006) and "The More You Ignore Me..." (not played since 2004? Maybe it was played in 2007, can't recall.) In any event, two songs that would be welcomed back with open arms.

The Queed Is Dead
Suedehead
Staircase at the University
Kiss Me a Lot
The Last of the Famous International Playboys or November Spawned a Monster
Istanbul
Trouble Loves Me or Yes I am Blind
Certain People I Know or Sister I'm a Poet or Billy Budd
Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before or There is a Light
Irish Blood English Heart or You Have Killed Me
One of Our Own or Ganglord or Earth is the Loneliest Planet
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Everyday is Like Sunday
World Peace is None of Your Business
I'm Not a Man or Art Hounds
Speedway or Now My Heart is Full
National Front Disco or The Boy Racer or The First of the Gang to Die

Encore:
The Bullfighter Dies
Hand In Glove or How Soon Is Now? or Shoplifters

Last edited:

So, Benny The Butcher has been vindicated. A Black Cloud of Black curtains. £50-£70 for 75 minutes of music on a Tuesday, with Buffy thrown in? The people of Northern Ireland clearly didn't think this was a Value For Money deal.

best
BB

Having not been at any gigs since last June, all I can say is my impression is that the pacing of the shows seems all wrong. They start off pretty good (QID, Suedehead, Speedway, Staircase), but then in the middle there is a loooooooooong run of new songs (many of which are mid-to-slow tempo) mixed with a few older slow songs (Trouble Loves Me, Yes I Am Blind) and then comes the big finale - often involving Kick the Bride Down the Aisle, the Bullfighter Dies and Meat is Murder in some combination. And then a send-'em-home-happy encore. This is an overview, and yes there are a few other goodies mixed in somewhere, and sure some shows are paced better than others....but you get the idea.

Below is an off-the-cuff example of how just a few minor tweaks would make these shows better, without turning Moz into a Greatest Hits Act. 5-7 of the better WPINOYB songs per night, plus the right mix of older songs in the right order. Also please note substitution options to keep the set fresh. Nothing below is a total curve-ball, with the exception of 'Now My Heart is Full' (not played since 2006) and "The More You Ignore Me..." (not played since 2004? Maybe it was played in 2007, can't recall.) In any event, two songs that would be welcomed back with open arms.

The Queed Is Dead
Suedehead
Kiss Me a Lot
Istanbul
Everyday is Like Sunday

Encore:
The Bullfighter Dies

I must say that I find these discussions about set lists pretty boring because we have no say in it anyway. So why discuss it ad nauseam? Also, who decides which of the songs are the good ones? I enjoy the entire WPINOYB album, so I have no problem with the fact that Moz plays so much songs from it. Many people say it's dull or simple or uninspired and a hell of a lot more but I don't feel that way at all. Maybe it's an album where the listener has to work a bit to get something from the it but if you have managed that, it's a really beautiful album. For example, I didn't get Earth Is The Loneliest Planet in the beginning but then a friend of mine showed me the following video and I was extremely touched to the point of tears ever since (unfortunately it's in german but captures the sentiment of the song quite well, I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQPrFEbr8lE

So, Benny The Butcher has been vindicated. A Black Cloud of Black curtains. £50-£70 for 75 minutes of music on a Tuesday, with Buffy thrown in? The people of Northern Ireland clearly didn't think this was a Value For Money deal.

best
BB

well done, benny.

The Queed Is Dead
Suedehead
Kiss Me a Lot
Istanbul
Everyday is Like Sunday

Encore:
The Bullfighter Dies

I would agree with this - My favourite gig was The Point, 20th Dec 2004, looking at that set list, the pacing and ordering seems better than that currently on offer.

As for the points made regarding the deficient crowd - he's never been all that popular in Northern Ireland, getting 3500 to come out on a Tuesday at £50 a pop is actually quite the coup.

Yes, simple. His uncle is unable to simply walk out and have a look at the warm up to his own concert. So, he gets his nephew to go and do it for him.

It would be extremely unprofessional for Morrissey to walk on stage before the show starts for any reason. Gustavo and Jesse go out there and check on their guitars, but that is quite different from Moz walking out there.

16938538835_9b67623f54_b.jpg

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
whiskey yer the devil
yer leading me astray
Over hills and mountains
and to Americae
oh fair thee well...

This is weird. Maybe he does this so his nephew can pretend to work for a living. Or maybe he wants to show us that he comes to see us as much as we go to see him, despite all the vitriolic posts here insisting he doesn't care about his audience. Who knows? We take videos of him on stage and post them online. He takes videos of us and posts them online via his nephew. If that's the reason for this video, that's kinda nice, I guess.

This is weird. Maybe he does this so his nephew can pretend to work for a living. Or maybe he wants to show us that he comes to see us as much as we go to see him, despite all the vitriolic posts here insisting he doesn't care about his audience. Who knows? We take videos of him on stage and post them online. He takes videos of us and posts them online via his nephew. If that's the reason for this video, that's kinda nice, I guess.

The nephew lives off of Uncle S and his wife lives off of her grandmother.

Does the other nephew at least work?

best
BB

Today's program notes

Thank You Brummie and other person below, many others have chosen to remain silent on the matter, I just hope they can raise their voices one last time at tonight's performance and give Steven a good farewell send off from the United KingDum.
We'll miss him and his silly ways when he's gone so make the most of it, this could actually be his last performance or cancellation on British soil so please don't forget your mobile devices.
Enjoy the beer. Enjoy the paninis. Keep an eye out for Sam the uber famous nephew and make him feel epic.

So let's all report back after the performance and review the shenanigans, (and black curtains) enjoy the performance.

Yours in debunking

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom