Stage banter with meaning

A

Anonymous

I know there are a few threads about stage banter but I would love to know something different. We know that when Morrissey speaks you don't really know if he is serious or if he is joking. I'm pretty sure most of the stage banter is just plain sillyness and playfulness but I think some other banter is actually quite telling and not just a joke. For example ...

7 November 2007, Melbourne (FL), King Center For The Performing Arts
After One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell "Well, I know, but they can't all be zingers... So much pressure Julia, so much pressure... Everything has to be perfect... It's not like that when you work in Rite-Aid, there's no pressure..."

6 December 1999, Civic Centre, Aylesbury, UK
After Is It Really So Strange? "But where is home? I don't know... I don't care..."

13 July 2012, Diga Nazario Sauro, Grado
(paraphrazed) "l lose touch with the real world when I tour - and that's the main reason why I'm doing it."

7 November 2007, Melbourne (FL), King Center For The Performing Arts
After One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell "Well, I know, but they can't all be zingers... So much pressure Julia, so much pressure... Everything has to be perfect... It's not like that when you work in Rite-Aid, there's no pressure..."

Yes, I remember that one. I found it to be quite touching (if somewhat sad) because in interviews he never acknowledges that he feels pressure from time to time. I think that was a spontanous moment on stage where he simply blurt it out. And I think it happens quite often on stage because emotions are intensified.

Port Chester (my only show!) had this gem:

The "free gift" part was playful, but the next part about dying seemed meaningful.

Last edited by a moderator:

The "free gift" part was playful, but the next part about dying seemed meaningful.

I remember watching this video before and was quite touched by what he said about dying and then just simply swept away with emotion while listening to him sing Please Please Please. This is just one of the reasons why I love Morrissey so very much.

Morrissey being flirty with the audience in Houston back in 2007:

He also did a really long speech before the same song in Sydney at the Opera House in 2012. I had it up on my YouTube account before my account got deleted. I'll have to reupload soon.

Something about the future and waking up in a mental home, and death and dying and his grave, etc.

Back
Top Bottom