Does anybody remember?

A

Anonymous

...the time Morrissey misused the word "empirical" when he meant "imperial"? He was trying to be an angry public intellectual, or something, but he made a complete arse of himself cos he didn't know the meaning of some words. That was hilarious, wasn't it? He's a tool. I loved it.

Re: Does Anybody Remember...

...the time Morrissey misused the word "empirical" when he meant "imperial"? He was trying to be an angry public intellectual, or something, but he made a complete arse of himself cos he didn't know the meaning of some words. That was hilarious, wasn't it? He's a tool. I loved it.

I do that all the time. When your brain lives in a phonetic world shit gets shifted and your tongue can't catch up and you just go with it. Both sides of my whole family does it, actually. It makes us sound like illiterate back-country folk but we're not. It's hard to explain.

I do that all the time. When your brain lives in a phonetic world shit gets shifted and your tongue can't catch up and you just go with it. Both sides of my whole family does it, actually. It makes us sound like illiterate back-country folk but we're not. It's hard to explain.

In Morrissey's case it's more to do with his poor education and humungous ego. He was also caught out pronouncing chasm as 'kassum' and had a nervous breakdown when we all LOL'd at his nonsense. That was in 1984. He's thick as pig shit. He must be if he's still eating cheese whilst posing as an animal rights activist.

best
BB

no but id read it if you provided a link. i also dont think the angry misuse of a similar sounding word means anything. if you really want to look many intelligent people say thoughtless stupid things at times. do you know ben carson at all. famous surgeon whos the subject of the book gifted hands. he says really stupid things about gay people in public and the genetic disposition of gay men. also told us at the graduation speech that he gave that women need to let men take care of them as it was better for us back in those days. yeah he had to apologize in writing to all of hopkins hospital for the stupid things he says and has said and hes pretty bright. were saving it for when he tries to run for president, us and everyone else at hopkins. anyway the misuse of a word doesnt mean they lack the knowledge of the definition but are swayed by many factors such as anger, bias from religion or anything really. intelligent people do stupid things all the time and are not immune to other factors dimming the brightness or letting things effect them. public shyness for example

I thought "Cemetry Gates" was intentional irony until I heard him say "consued".

- - - Updated - - -

I thought "Cemetry Gates" was intentional irony until I heard him say "consued".

- - - Updated - - -

no but id read it if you provided a link. i also dont think the angry misuse of a similar sounding word means anything. if you really want to look many intelligent people say thoughtless stupid things at times. do you know ben carson at all. famous surgeon whos the subject of the book gifted hands. he says really stupid things about gay people in public and the genetic disposition of gay men. also told us at the graduation speech that he gave that women need to let men take care of them as it was better for us back in those days. yeah he had to apologize in writing to all of hopkins hospital for the stupid things he says and has said and hes pretty bright. were saving it for when he tries to run for president, us and everyone else at hopkins. anyway the misuse of a word doesnt mean they lack the knowledge of the definition but are swayed by many factors such as anger, bias from religion or anything really. intelligent people do stupid things all the time and are not immune to other factors dimming the brightness or letting things effect them. public shyness for example

Totally, yeah

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Totally, yeah

its also perhaps worth noting that much of his education was probably oral or just through informal self learning. there are many authors that couldnt spell anything and just dont care to. thats what your editor and proofreader is for and it doesnt mean that they dont have anything meaningful worthwhile or intelligent to say. thats like saying the world has produce no worthwhile thinkers that didnt come out of educational institutions. i always found that people who use things like concern for grammar etc are people who prize knowledge over intelligence

In Morrissey's case it's more to do with his poor education and humungous ego. He was also caught out pronouncing chasm as 'kassum' and had a nervous breakdown when we all LOL'd at his nonsense. That was in 1984. He's thick as pig shit. He must be if he's still eating cheese whilst posing as an animal rights activist.

best
BB

Um....chasm IS pronounced 'kassum'. If I recall correctly, we all laughed as he pronounced it with a 'ch'.

Um....chasm IS pronounced 'kassum'. If I recall correctly, we all laughed as he pronounced it with a 'ch'.

Well done! You spotted the latest error by my secretary. It was an Ian McC of The Bunnymen interview.

I thought he was very nice but I quickly learnt it was a (French word I can't translate "tocard"). At one point to display his literary skill he talked of a chassam (chasm). You only need to open a dictionary to know you don't pronounce it like that. Contrary to him I never read books, but I've known how to pronounce that word since I was six years old.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/243.shtml

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

its also perhaps worth noting that much of his education was probably oral or just through informal self learning. there are many authors that couldnt spell anything and just dont care to. thats what your editor and proofreader is for and it doesnt mean that they dont have anything meaningful worthwhile or intelligent to say. thats like saying the world has produce no worthwhile thinkers that didnt come out of educational institutions. i always found that people who use things like concern for grammar etc are people who prize knowledge over intelligence

It's certainly a shame that 'Autobiography' didn't have an editor or proof reader. It would have been a brief pamphlet is anyone with a literary brain had got the green ink to it before publication.

best
BB

Complete nonsense. He had 16 years of publicly funded education. He wasn't born in the ghetto, though he likes to pretend he was. He just didn't work very hard.

best
BB

Well done! You spotted the latest error by my secretary. It was an Ian McC of The Bunnymen interview.

I thought he was very nice but I quickly learnt it was a (French word I can't translate "tocard"). At one point to display his literary skill he talked of a chassam (chasm). You only need to open a dictionary to know you don't pronounce it like that. Contrary to him I never read books, but I've known how to pronounce that word since I was six years old.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/243.shtml

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

It's certainly a shame that 'Autobiography' didn't have an editor or proof reader. It would have been a brief pamphlet is anyone with a literary brain had got the green ink to it before publication.

best
BB

Complete nonsense. He had 16 years of publicly funded education. He wasn't born in the ghetto, though he likes to pretend he was. He just didn't work very hard.

best
BB

Oh dear, 'BB'. Knowledge regarding Morrissey you may have, but any clue about the education system you do not.
Regards,
Regards

Anyone who's content to mock working-class people who dare to stray beyond two syllables but sometimes get it wrong is basically never going to appreciate Morrissey properly in the first place.

Mind you, the footage of him talking about how he hoped everything he had written would "go down in the anals of history or whatever" is hilarious.

It's at about 4.15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q682LlPr4ew

Anyone who's content to mock working-class people who dare to stray beyond two syllables but sometimes get it wrong is basically never going to appreciate Morrissey properly in the first place.

What happens if a working class person were to point out that he can't properly pronounce "plagiarise"?

What happens if a working class person were to point out that he can't properly pronounce "plagiarise"?

Like it says above, they're never going to appreciate Morrissey properly in the first place.

best
BB

"Ka-zum" is the correct pronunciation - Morrissey said it "Ch-asm", without the k sound.
I remember him mixing up corporal and capital punishment in the Earsay interview of '84, as well."My school got some national attention for the use of capital punishment." :lbf:

Everybody has done this. Morrissey's have been caught on film because he's your favorite singer. You guys are mean.

You guys are mean.

And Morrissey, who mocks other "celebrities" relentlessly for their stupidity/lack of talent/money/eating habits/whatever and trivialises mass murder, isn't? :lbf:

Everybody has done this. Morrissey's have been caught on film because he's your favorite singer. You guys are mean.

He never made a deal out of the fact that he had no education. So what is the point. It doesn't come from nowhere that he enjoyed Oscar Wilde because he was 'readable' and that he never wanted to provide lyrics which are abstract but rather passionate and relatable. He also was always obsessed with words in itself. He often talked about searching for the meaning of certain words he didn't understand. I don't think this is shameful. Everything in life is a learning process. I actually find it quite endearing and everyone else who is constantly repulsed by false grammar is a snob in my world.

Pronouncing words incorrectly is entirely in keeping with someone who reads a lot, but doesn't actually engage in conversation with other human beings.

He often mispronounces words intentionally. He plays with words deliberately all the time. Who is to say he doesn't do many mispronunciations on purpose.

Back
Top Bottom