Ringleader

I guess he's a better singer technically on his later albums. Lyrically I think his peak was Meat is Murder and out of Ringleader and Refusal I prefer Refusal. It's all subjective though.

i love his voice around the period of my love life, boxers, girl least likely to. i like the deeper toned vocal, the matured morrissey voice

Soundwise, the last two studio albums (YOR and WPINOYB) are making my ears bleed, they sound far to loud and compressed. ROTT doesn't sound half as bad! The mixing could have been better, tough.

i love his voice around the period of my love life, boxers, girl least likely to. i like the deeper toned vocal, the matured morrissey voice

His voice on ROTT was still as it was on Vauxhall-beautiful and a bit higher range. Then something happened when he neared 50 and by YOR his voice was huskier. Now it's deep and mature and I think its peaking, but I love his voice at any stage, even sounding flat and punk in 83.

The mixing could have been better, tough.

Completely agree. Considering that he used three guitar players, it is rare when Boz and/or Alain can be readily spotted in the mix. The drums also sound sludgy. Gary Day's performance, however, is well-recorded (and well-played - perhaps some of the most empathetic basswork in Morrissey's career this side of Andy Rourke). Of course, Tony Visconti was a bass player first, so it stands to reason. One sticking point with me was the decision to leave the lines where Morrissey's voice breaks on Dear God, Please Help Me and On The Streets I Ran. They sound more akin to teen-in-puberty-voice-cracking than emotional-commitment-to-song-caused-it. Sloppy moments that could have been buffed without harming the rest of the vocal.

Counter to an earlier anonymous's poster assertion re: opinions being formed on the basis of production tools such as ProTools - Visconti's chief engineer, Marco Martin, used ProTools for the sessions.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was recorded last in the sessions , when Moz's voice was ragged from singing so much - but I really wish they'd dropped the key of 'On the Streets I Ran' down a tone. He is struggling so badly to hit those high notes - and often coming short - that it's quite painful to listen to.

I don't agree that ROTT sounds bad.

Unlistenable? Don't be silly.

I find all new albums are mastered very loud. Most artists do it nowadays, just because they can.
In the old days you couldn't master too loud because the needle would jump!

'I Will See You In Far-Off Places' is great - always gives me a buzz when I hear it. Sounds mighty!

Considering that he used three guitar players, it is rare when Boz and/or Alain can be readily spotted in the mix.

You're right. I wasn't quite sure how that would work at the time but it was an interesting experiment nonetheless. And although Alain is listed as having played on every song, I reckon that it was already in the cards that Jesse would remain the main lead touring guitarist following the album; I suspect that is why Jesse's guitars were so dominant in the mix.

For those with golden ears, did Alain provide any riffs or solos on that record? I haven't listened to Ringleader in ages but I do recall there being a solo towards the end of "To Me You Are a Work of Art." Maybe it was Alain doing the licks since it was his composition but I could be wrong.

See, I love "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy". I'm surprised people don't. It's one of my favorites from the album.

I love it, too. My favorite is I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now. I scribbled, "Morrissey is My One True Love" on the Iron Bridge. :thumb:;)
I had a hard time getting into the album at first. But it's grown on me in a wonderful way.

See, I love "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy". I'm surprised people don't. It's one of my favorites from the album.

It is much better live than on the album, IMO. The definitive version, for me at least, was the live performance video version included on the IJWTSTBH CD single.

I can't site specific production flaws but I will say if you make a Morrissey mix CD and include Pigsty you can hear just how lousy the production is on that particular song versus anything else you're likely to include... which is odd because the rest of the ROTT songs sound just fine in that same setting. Barring the inclusion of any original older CD release versions of course.

For what it's worth YOR and ROTT (in that order) are my two favorite albums from Quarry on. Maybe, since I'm a Dad, I just dig that Dad-Rock sound. :p

Last edited:
I love it and the era, though primarily for:

Christian Dior
I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now
Life Is A Pigsty
Dear God Please Help Me (Alternate mix with more strings)
Sweetie-Pie (Alternate Mikey Farrell mix)
In The Future When All's Well
To Me You Are A Work Of Art
You Have Killed Me
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
I Will See You In Far-Off Places

I could do without The Father Who Must Be Killed and At Last I Am Born.

- - - Updated - - -

It is much better live than on the album, IMO. The definitive version, for me at least, was the live performance video version included on the IJWTSTBH CD single.

I didn't realize that was a different mix...

I don't agree that ROTT sounds bad.

Unlistenable? Don't be silly.

I find all new albums are mastered very loud. Most artists do it nowadays, just because they can.
In the old days you couldn't master too loud because the needle would jump!

'I Will See You In Far-Off Places' is great - always gives me a buzz when I hear it. Sounds mighty!

it is for me. its not just the crackling or anything, i mean i listen to swans big black scratch acid lots of early k records stuff but that albums mix gets to me. its not just the compression or the loudness of the mix, its that mixed with the very very dry production which gives me a feeling of it being louder than i want but also has it giving me a feeling of a lot of empty space in the song. the vocals are also not great imo there for whatever reason. i dont mean to be critical of people who really love the album its just not for me

I didn't realize that was a different mix...

I believe that single is an "Enhanced CD" or something like that. When you play it on the computer, you have the choice of watching the official music video for "Boy Happy," which is actually a live version of the song played for an Italian TV audience during the Ringleader tour. It's a great performance and sound-wise it is very good. I think the band played 5 or 6 songs from Ringleader for that small gig -- and of them all, only IJWTSTBH was the only one taken for any official release. Maybe when Ringleader gets reissued many years from now, Moz will include that small little promotional gig as extras on a bonus DVD.

I believe that single is an "Enhanced CD" or something like that. When you play it on the computer, you have the choice of watching the official music video for "Boy Happy," which is actually a live version of the song played for an Italian TV audience during the Ringleader tour. It's a great performance and sound-wise it is very good. I think the band played 5 or 6 songs from Ringleader for that small gig -- and of them all, only IJWTSTBH was the only one taken for any official release. Maybe when Ringleader gets reissued many years from now, Moz will include that small little promotional gig as extras on a bonus DVD.

Does anyone has an audio rip of this version? I've got a random live version (or two) of this song that I believe was an official digital download or b-side at some point, but am curious to hear if this "definitive" Italian version is any better than the album or live cut I have.

Edit:
Found it on You Tube. Yes, it is a pretty good version of a fairly mediocre song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom