Electra Deal?

Re: Electra Deal

What I find odd is that someone has taken control of the social media accounts.

The official Morrissey instagram hasn't posted, but has been searching the Morrissey tag and liking fans photos of him. Also he Facebook account has been posting again.

Don't know if the record company is trying to build up interest, or if it's the tour promoter or Damon and Morrissey sitting at the laptop.

I suppose we also have to take into consideration the sorts of legal gags that surround these things. Does anyone remember how long it took from the first rumors of the Harvest deal(if there were any), and the official announcement?

He will let us know if and when he's signed, but I do hope it's soon. I'm one of the 12 in the UK still interested in knowing. Haha!

I don't mean to stir the pot...but I think he needs a fresh official website.

My nextdoor neighbor goes to extraordinary lengths to talk to me every day (read: kiss my ass.) Do I appreciate her dedication to sitting by the door and listening for me to leave so she can randomly jump up and address whatever thing and tell me how good a manager I am? Sure. Do I want her to be in charge of my image and marketing package? No.

My nextdoor neighbor goes to extraordinary lengths to talk to me every day (read: kiss my ass.) Do I appreciate her dedication to sitting by the door and listening for me to leave so she can randomly jump up and address whatever thing and tell me how good a manager I am? Sure. Do I want her to be in charge of my image and marketing package? No.

This is what I've been saying. Julia is about the most unhip a person can get. If he wants to sell records and concert tickets and be relevant he needs a team of 20/30-something hipsters to get on social media and start up the Morrissey machine in a way that doesn't scream commercial.

It can be done. Start up the Instagram and throw a selfie up there and watch everyone go wild, then hand it over to the team to start marketing the new album. Dylan Moran is an Irish comedian that decided he wanted to try out America 2 years ago. He's 43. He hired a team of young kids in Brooklyn who got his name out on social media. They always stated they were behind the Twitter account, but occasionally he pops in and posts a video or a tweet. What happened? A guy that was only known in America by college kids who watched his old British sitcom on Netflix was now selling out theatres. I went to multiple shows and I saw it happen.

Morrissey, believe it or not, has major indie street cred. The kids love him and if he can get his shit together and realise this isn't 1956 and he needs a descent website and a team to run his social media he can get back to where he wants to be.

I think he's too old fashioned and too cheap to pay for all this but it needs to be done.

This is what I've been saying. Julia is about the most unhip a person can get. If he wants to sell records and concert tickets and be relevant he needs a team of 20/30-something hipsters to get on social media and start up the Morrissey machine in a way that doesn't scream commercial.

It can be done. Start up the Instagram and throw a selfie up there and watch everyone go wild, then hand it over to the team to start marketing the new album. Dylan Moran is an Irish comedian that decided he wanted to try out America 2 years ago. He's 43. He hired a team of young kids in Brooklyn who got his name out on social media. They always stated they were behind the Twitter account, but occasionally he pops in and posts a video or a tweet. What happened? A guy that was only known in America by college kids who watched his old British sitcom on Netflix was now selling out theatres. I went to multiple shows and I saw it happen.

Morrissey, believe it or not, has major indie street cred. The kids love him and if he can get his shit together and realise this isn't 1956 and he needs a descent website and a team to run his social media he can get back to where he wants to be.

I think he's too old fashioned and too cheap to pay for all this but it needs to be done.

A thousand times this. And it would be soooooooo easy. He's the f***ing grandfather of indiepop ffs. He could reinvent himself a thousand times and all the foibles of the past will be forgotten once he nails it.

A thousand times this. And it would be soooooooo easy. He's the f***ing grandfather of indiepop ffs. He could reinvent himself a thousand times and all the foibles of the past will be forgotten once he nails it.

Yes, Yes, yes! Well said Anon and CG. The kids may not have him on their ipod but they know who he is and he does still have street cred. It wouldn't be that hard to make interesting to the masses (college kids, real music fans) with the right campaign.

When the world thought Moz had joined twitter I had many people (who are not M fans) texting me that they are excited to be following him! Kids at my job too...I was happily blown away. I hope Morrissey tries...a new record company could make all the difference...here's hoping!!

Elektra.jpg

Attachments

• Elektra.jpg
    Elektra.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2

Tumblr is full of teenagers who worship him but are unaware of world peace or tour dates. Add that website to the fold and he's golden. There aren't many singers his age who could pull this off, but he can. He just needs a hip label and the guy from Elektra seems to maybe have that. Imagine an official instagram run by hipsters where they post a quick video of Moz saying he can't wait to get on the road? People would lose it.

This is all true. His marketing could easily be a lot better and still be in taste.

In this tech savvy, "social-media-jettisoned-me-to-mass-stardom world" Morrissey should do what you're suggesting to keep him fresh and relevant and open doors to a new generation of fans, but it will never ever happen. He's "old school." He likes being mysterious (and it pains me to say it, but I like the mystique, too). He likes keeping a large portion of his privacy where it belongs. He'd also be a walking target for all kinds of nasty people to berate him in a variety of ways if we went "social." I'm sure he wouldn't want another bullseye on his back.

Not gonna happen. Ever.

Sorry, guys. :(

But, think about it, would you really want to follow his IG account so you can see his posted photo of his morning grapefruit, cloudy tea and 16 pills? I wouldn't.

In this tech savvy, "social-media-jettisoned-me-to-mass-stardom world" Morrissey should do what you're suggesting to keep him fresh and relevant and open doors to a new generation of fans, but it will never ever happen. He's "old school." He likes being mysterious (and it pains me to say it, but I like the mystique, too). He likes keeping a large portion of his privacy where it belongs. He'd also be a walking target for all kinds of nasty people to berate him in a variety of ways if we went "social." I'm sure he wouldn't want another bullseye on his back.

Not gonna happen. Ever.

But, think about it, would you really want to follow his IG account so you can see his posted photo of his morning grapefruit, cloudy tea and 16 pills? I wouldn't.

No I'm not saying he has to run the accounts or post personal photos. Look at Johnny Marr's Instagram- it's photos of him onstage and such. Moz wouldn't even have to post photos of himself backstage or anything either. As I said before, that comedian is so private the press/fans don't even know what his children's names are. Nothing personal is posted, it's just the odd video saying hello and tour updates. Morrissey needs at least that.

And after the Importance documentary when he showed everyone his gaudy furniture a lot of the mystique went out the window for me.

I suppose we also have to take into consideration the sorts of legal gags that surround these things. Does anyone remember how long it took from the first rumors of the Harvest deal(if there were any), and the official announcement?

Two albums.

He needs to not have his campaign run by Moz fans. He already has them, the point is to hook non-Moz fans.

Not gonna happen. Ever.

What the hell is mysterious about Mporium? He might as well be posting self-depracating selfies and 140-character twitter rants. A pic of Morrissey cuddling a kitten with f***ed-up hair in bed watching Twilight would blow up the internet. And sell albums. He could financially corner the market on "Guess what? I'm just like you." now that he's established a lifetime of mystery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom