Smiths Reunion Setlist

TheYoungest

Ok, here's a bit of fun...

Imagine - against all the odds - that Morrissey and Marr announce a 'Smiths reunion' (no Mike or Andy) at the end of the year. One show, in Manchester. What do you think they play? And why?

I'll start:

Hand in Glove
Panic
The Headmaster Ritual
William, It Was Really Nothing
What She Said/Rubber Ring
Half A Person
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Shakespeare's Sister
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Cemetry Gates
Meat Is Murder
How Soon Is Now?
I Know It's Over

The Queen Is Dead
Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Still Ill

Oscillate Wildly
Shoplifters Of The World Unite

And here are my reasons:

- Two encores because, well, it's big event. Only 16 songs in the main set because, well, they know what's coming.
- Opening with 'Hand In G' because it was the first single.
- Closing with 'Shoplifters' because Moz (and possibly Marr?) has confessed to it being a favorite.
- No 'This Charming Man' because Johnny refused to play it after turning 22.
- 'Meat Is Murder' because they are both animal rights campaigners (and rightly so).
- 'There Is A Light' in the middle because of tradition.
- HSIN? because, despite a checkered live history during The Smiths, both of them have displayed a penchant for it in their solo careers.
- Similarly, 'Please, Please'.
- 'Oscillate Wildly' because of Johnny's habit of playing an instrumental at the beginning of the encore. That particular one because it would be funny (much maligned etc.)
- 'Rubber Ring' and 'Half A Person' in deference to the long-time fans.
- 'Stop Me' because both have shown an interest in it post-Smiths, and it's difficult to tell with the Strangeways material.
- 'Panic' because it seems appropriate.

Commence....

The best reason for them to reunite is for them to play, their never played live masterpiece, Well I Wonder.

Certainly would be a good night - nice setlist. But, needless to say, never gonna happen.

Never. He'd make a shit ton of cash if it did though, that's for damn sure.

- - - Updated - - -

If he and Johnny recorded an album just the two of them, he'd get his #1.

At this point in time I believe Johnny would have zero interest in this. I think Moz may do it, especially just for one show, but never Johnny. Even if they did do it I would hope they'd just announce themselves as Morrissey & Marr, or Marr & Morrissey. I feel you can't call yourselves The Smiths without Andy and Mike present. I know Johnny and Moz wrote all of the songs but it still wouldn't feel right to dub yourselves The Smiths without Andy and Mike.

I would love to see Johnny and Morrissey do something like this and record the show so everyone could get a DVD of it. "Rubber Ring," "Wonderful Woman," and "Half A Person" are three songs that I'd certainly be wishing for on the setlist.

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeee keep me in miiiiiiiiiiind!

At this point in time I believe Johnny would have zero interest in this. I think Moz may do it, especially just for one show, but never Johnny. Even if they did do it I would hope they'd just announce themselves as Morrissey & Marr, or Marr & Morrissey. I feel you can't call yourselves The Smiths without Andy and Mike present. I know Johnny and Moz wrote all of the songs but it still wouldn't feel right to dub yourselves The Smiths without Andy and Mike.

I would love to see Johnny and Morrissey do something like this and record the show so everyone could get a DVD of it. "Rubber Ring," "Wonderful Woman," and "Half A Person" are three songs that I'd certainly be wishing for on the setlist.

i actually think the opposite. i think i remember marr reaching out to morrissey around 2001 or 2 when the box set came out and i think the rumor was moz turned it down. what makes you think he might, morrissey that is.

Back
Top Bottom