Question about Autobiography

A

Anonymous

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this part in Autobiography. I can re-read it a thousand
times but I have no idea what Moz is talking about:

"In places of food, my senses existentially turn to old high walls of red brick, and I lie awake at
night weighing the fascination. There will never be an end or a conclusion to this dazed attraction,
and even now, decades on, I cannot find any written acknowledgement of the trance such things
pull me into. Whatever detains the eye is understood by no one, least of all me."

It's on page 53/54 of the original Penguin Classics edition!

I just found it in Autobiography and found that the quote is "In place of food" rather than "In placeS of food"; in which case this makes me think his surroundings nourished him (in an artistic sense) more than he felt food ever could.

I just found it in Autobiography and found that the quote is "In place of food" rather than "In placeS of food"; in which case this makes me think his surroundings nourished him (in an artistic sense) more than he felt food ever could.

Hod, I like you, you're smart. Well put.

He'd love SLO Brew. I taught myself pool in this room before it was a concert venue. Played Fashion Nugget over and over while perfecting corner pocket shots convincing my insignificant other Barnes & Noble was conducting late night midnight-1am safety meetings. :cool:

5365698571_acfcea99af_z.jpg

He'd also like the outside of The Far Bar, except for that's where the smokers go so maybe not.

far-bar-downtown-la.jpg

THere's another good brick bar downtown I can NEVER remember the name of, they make a dirty whiskey sour with froth on top that costs way too much money but is strangely worth it just to sit amongst the bricks. And their trivia night is for bozos so it's easy to play along. Better than trivia nights like "What the original name of the river that runs east west in India." I don't f***ing know, give us some sports questions. :D

Villains is the place with bozo trivia. "What's the six letter name of the thing in a bathroom you sit on that starts with a T?" This pic doesn't show it but the outside part is pretty bricky.

15376996395194453375d4b.jpg

Also The Golden Gopher is bricktastic in places and has a decent jukebox. And Coles is REALLY bricky but they specialize in French Dip sandwiches so he'd have to go undercover. Also Bar 107 isn't brick but exudes the mood a brick bar does. And veering away from bar, Pan Quotidian in Pasadena is brick if I recall.

King Eddy Saloon has some brick but not the kind he likes, and it's hard-up skid row adjacent so it's sorta scary. :p Sometimes the ghost of Bukowski is worth it though. (Actually I think that brick is the kind you buy at an education store to make a set for a child's play.)

King-Eddy-Saloon-072312.jpeg

King Eddy Saloon has some brick but not the kind he likes, and it's hard-up skid row adjacent so it's sorta scary. :p Sometimes the ghost of Bukowski is worth it though. (Actually I think that brick is the kind you buy at an education store to make a set for a child's play.)

King-Eddy-Saloon-072312.jpeg

Please stop. nobody cares.

I'm pointing out places with brick that might offer further fascination.

Maybe if you MENTIONED that fact then we'd all know, wackjob. I like you Crystal but what you do is a form of trolling. Who cares, right? No one. Nobody. Get it?

Maybe if you MENTIONED that fact then we'd all know, wackjob. I like you Crystal but what you do is a form of trolling. Who cares, right? No one. Nobody. Get it?

She thinks everyone knows and cares about LA.

I'm pointing out places with brick that might offer further fascination.

Any particular reason why you picked bars?

There are many brick buildings in England and close to the North and Baltic Sea.

It is quite easy to see why he feels that way about these buildings, because they remind him of his happy childhood days that he spent in such buildings. I also have an affection for such buildings, because my uncle and aunt lived in an area surrounded by such houses and we visited them and their children often when I was a wee lass. When I walked around the area where Morrissey lived as a teenager it reminded me incredibly of those childhood holidays of mine. To think that he felt miserable there however, was a bit strange which is why I decided not to walk past that actual house where he spent his unemployed days. I went over the bridge instead and greeted those nice people doing things in their front yard.

Because Jesus was born in a manger which is technically a little barn. A barnette, if you will. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom