Johnny Marr - "The Smiths Are Dead" - Loaded Magazine

• Thread starter Roberto Ferdenzi
  • Start date
nice, thanks. not to many surprises but still nice. if he does make an overtly political album i wonder if people will giveb him the same crap thay gave morrissey. hope he does though as i could see johnny making a really sweet very angry album.

Shame about the dodgy copy editing there. Starting out "We spent his time in The Smiths" is a bit of a clanger.

Anyway, not a bad interview, but I can see why Johnny must get narked by people constantly dragging the Smiths corpse out of the closet to prod at it. Just look at this article - the author can't resist bringing in Morrissey comparisons every couple of paragraphs. It must get very, very tiring after 30 years.

"Johnny Marr on why he and Morrissey will never get back together."

At no point in this interview does Johnny explain why he and Morrissey will never get back together.

He doesn't even mention his name.

Johnny ~ “I’m more interested in what’s going on out there than I am what’s in here,” he says, tapping his chest.

Hack ~ That’s enough of a statement for me to back up the feeling The Smiths will never, ever reform.

Right you are then :crazy:

Poor article. Doesn't seem to know what Johnny's date of birth is.

And I wish journalists would stop bringing up the subject of The Smiths. Let Johnny talk and if he chooses to discuss his old band, let him do so.

Johnny Marr on why he and Morrissey will never get back together. He also talks his love of taking the tube, his hatred of Tony Blair and why he worships Britain’s youth. Just don’t drop the Morrissey bomb if you see him on the underground. Or ask about the chances of a Smiths reunion.

The Smiths Are Dead - Loaded

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't say never, Johnny. There is still a decent chance in the coming years (before you start drooling on yourself) that you and Morrissey will be offered a dickshitload of money that you will not have the integrity to turn down.

"Johnny Marr on why he and Morrissey will never get back together."

At no point in this interview does Johnny explain why he and Morrissey will never get back together.

He doesn't even mention his name.

Johnny ~ “I’m more interested in what’s going on out there than I am what’s in here,” he says, tapping his chest.

Hack ~ That’s enough of a statement for me to back up the feeling The Smiths will never, ever reform.

Right you are then :crazy:

Clickbait.

don't drink don't smoke what do you do? not write decent tunes anymore that's for sure, have a week in the studio with 200 park drive a bottle of jack daniels and some pork scratchings- it might give the boring git a taste for real life again instead of been a comfortable middle aged millionaire living off 28 year old royalties

don't drink don't smoke what do you do? not write decent tunes anymore that's for sure, have a week in the studio with 200 park drive a bottle of jack daniels and some pork scratchings- it might give the boring git a taste for real life again instead of been a comfortable middle aged millionaire living off 28 year old royalties

im betting he still smokes pot which is what he said he did for the recording of much of the smiths albums, how soon is now mentioned in particular. until it was coming out of out ears was i think the quote. said it was good for his ear, listening wise. also didnt it say they were offered already 78 million pounds to tour america and they turned that down. unless you mean even more money i think thats already happened.

Totally agree. I've finally given up on him. His razor sharp wit used to make me laugh and cry at the same time, but now they have no meaning. It is so sad.

Poor article. Doesn't seem to know what Johnny's date of birth is.

And I wish journalists would stop bringing up the subject of The Smiths. Let Johnny talk and if he chooses to discuss his old band, let him do so.

I think they do know his DoB but, like you said, the poor writing makes it unclear:

"Marr turns 51 at the end of this month"
"he’s just finished making Playland – his second solo album."

Playland came out in October/November so presumably the interview was also in October

Don't say never, Johnny. There is still a decent chance in the coming years (before you start drooling on yourself) that you and Morrissey will be offered a dickshitload of money that you will not have the integrity to turn down.

Your insight is astounding!

Johnny's metamorphosis into a clean-living, teetotal vegan philosopher sure has made him dull. I'd ask him about The Smiths all day just to stop him talking about politics.

Obviously he's a great talent but he's aged into such a smug f***, and his manner is made no more likable by the way this fanboy blogger fawns. "Not one for meeting in private clubs is our Johnny, the library and the tube are just right for him, man of the people he is," Jesus CHRIST man, he's taken, calm yourself.

Morrissey has the integrity, rest assured. The Smiths will never reform, and God forbid they ever do.

imagine going to a johnny marr gig

imagine

That was then....and this is now !
I think that,if we are honest a large majority of us would not like to see a reunion.
From the outset,those of us old enough to remember,realise that we were part of something unique,something special,that had never happened,and never likely to happen again.
We felt almost privileged to be part of this special "family" of fans {flower sellers all over britain were especially grateful !!!!!}
i feel that bands as unique as the smiths should never reform.
It is,and never will be the same,and the original energy has gone.
Morrissey does not need it,and neither does mr marr,if we are honest.
SOMETHING THAT PERFECT SHOULD NOT BE TAMPERED WITH !

That was then....and this is now !
I think that,if we are honest a large majority of us would not like to see a reunion.
From the outset,those of us old enough to remember,realise that we were part of something unique,something special,that had never happened,and never likely to happen again.
We felt almost privileged to be part of this special "family" of fans {flower sellers all over britain were especially grateful !!!!!}
i feel that bands as unique as the smiths should never reform.
It is,and never will be the same,and the original energy has gone.
Morrissey does not need it,and neither does mr marr,if we are honest.
SOMETHING THAT PERFECT SHOULD NOT BE TAMPERED WITH !

TBH, I'm torn on this one. Yes, I think that most of us would love to go to a Smiths gig, but should the magic and uniqueness be left in the past, to be left at iconic status? I don't know. I've seen both of them (individual gigs of course!) last year, and both were good (Moz was amazing in Lund), but I dunno, would it be the same? Should it not be tampered with?

I don't have the answer, and I'm going to contradict my general point here by saying that if tickets were being sold next Monday for a Smiths reunion, yeah I would probably try and get one.....

for all that say morrisseys got an ego, and i think he does, marr has always been smug. always. i think thats what morrissey liked about him besides the obvious talent he possesses. sure sometimes both there egos get out of hand as does everyones at times but morrissey was a bedsit guy while marr was the confidence man who unleashed the monster so to speak that overshadowed him. a weird turnaround imo.

"That was then....and this is now !" is a great book and alright movie with matt dillon. i still think of m&m every once in a while

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom