Morrissey bans meat from his Belfast show at the Odyssey Arena - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Morrissey bans meat from his Belfast show at the Odyssey Arena: Heaven knows we're miserable now... - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
BY CHRIS KILPATRICK – 31 JANUARY 2015

Excerpt:

In an unprecedented move, the Belfast venue has warned staff that vegetarian food only will be allowed during the ex-Smiths star's show.

Up to 10,000 fans are expected to attend the performance with tickets currently available for around £50.

The move by Morrissey to stop revellers eating any meat while at the show has been branded as "bizarre" and "silly tokenism".

Animal rights activists defended his strong pro-vegan stance. Earlier this week an email was sent to all staff at the Odyssey Arena entitled 'Morrissey catering stipulation'.

...The email was leaked to the BBC Nolan Show. Businessman and commentator Jeffrey Peel criticised Morrissey's request, describing it as "celebrity nonsense".

"We're the backbone, no pun intended, of the meat industry in the UK," he said.

"Northern Ireland meat producers produce the beef which goes into McDonald's burgers, we slaughter more chickens than just about any other part of the United Kingdom.

"It seems absolutely bizarre that his fans, probably 99% of which eat meat, should be denied the opportunity to eat it the night of the concert.

"He can insist his fans don't eat meat on the evening, it probably won't do them much harm, but the fact is they'll probably leave the concert and merrily chomp through beef and chicken and the rest after the concert."

Animal rights activist John Carmody defended the star: "What I would say is Morrissey feels incredibly strongly about cruelty to animals and he feels incredibly strongly about animals in factory farms," he said. "I think he's standing by his morals on this particular one."

He added: "I wouldn't say he's imposing his morals. He's ensuring his hands are clean of any animal suffering which is caused."

I love it how so many people care about the eating habits of a person that they don't know.

What I think is a more important underlying issue to this is his ability/desire to request any change to a venue's operations. What if an alcoholic singer required the venue to not serve alcohol? Has that been done before? Concessions (food and drink) are part of the overall financial picture in addition to ticket sales. It is a business afterall, and Morrissey is entitled to his beliefs and he has the right to share these beliefs in any legal manner he sees fit, but directly impacting the rights of others to make their own choice is a bit overreaching in my opinion.

He used to 30 years ago.

I love how they use an interview from 1985 or a poorly translated one from last year as evidence that he wears leather. We don't know if his shoes are vegan. The rice milk and soy latte still aren't enough to convince people he's vegan. The cheese on the rider could have been for Damon.

If he's gonna stand up for animals Ireland must now be boycotted like Canada.
If not then he surely must encourage his congregation to arm themselves with spray cans and stencils and de-face the whole country.
Kerching ! Thousands of stencils at a tenner a pop ! He'll like that won't he ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

What I think is a more important underlying issue to this is his ability/desire to request any change to a venue's operations. What if an alcoholic singer required the venue to not serve alcohol? Has that been done before? Concessions (food and drink) are part of the overall financial picture in addition to ticket sales. It is a business afterall, and Morrissey is entitled to his beliefs and he has the right to share these beliefs in any legal manner he sees fit, but directly impacting the rights of others to make their own choice is a bit overreaching in my opinion.

its a negotiation and the venue has to agree though. its not as though hes just denying. he probably doesnt want the place hes playing, any place, to serve meat and uses his clout draw to ask the venue and the venue decides if hes worth the money for the drawback which he is. if they say no he doesnt have to play and decides if the dates important enough. i like that he does what he can when he can. alcohol sales would be a bigger loss to the venue so thatll effect what they say yay or nay. that said ive been to many a straight edge show over the years that were fine to open there doors without alcoholic beverage.

If he's gonna stand up for animals Ireland must now be boycotted like Canada.
If not then he surely must encourage his congregation to arm themselves with spray cans and stencils and de-face the whole country.
Kerching ! Thousands of stencils at a tenner a pop ! He'll like that won't he ?

Benny you are wasting your time, you have succeeded in debunking Morrissey. In all the time I have been on solo no one has ever landed a punch in your direction, you float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
Keep up the good work Ben I'm sure one day the Queen will honour you for your dedication in debunking the fecking eejit that is Morrissey.

..It is a business afterall, and Morrissey is entitled to his beliefs and he has the right to share these beliefs in any legal manner he sees fit, but directly impacting the rights of others to make their own choice is a bit overreaching in my opinion.
I think if it's known in advance by the promoters and (at least most) of the attendees, it shouldn't be such a big deal, it's just like finding that there's no alcohol served at a venue. It's not really a public service after all, and apart from the predictable response in the press, I really doubt that it's likely to put off too many people from going (presumably the venue wouldn't take on the gig if they thought so).

Last edited:
very proper, but it remains to be asked; will cheese goujons be included in the menu for the belfast show?

I think if it's known in advance by the promoters and (at least most) of the attendees, it shouldn't be such a big deal, it's just like finding that there's no alcohol served at a venue. It's not really a public service after all, and apart from the predictable response in the press, I really doubt that it's likely to put off too many people from going (presumably the venue wouldn't take on the gig if they thought so).

I see your point, it is his concert after all, but I personally don't like having choices that would otherwise be available taken away. Maybe it is my American democratic blood that finds this a bit of a problem. In the grand scheme of things though...not really a big deal.

Benny you are wasting your time, you have succeeded in debunking Morrissey. In all the time I have been on solo no one has ever landed a punch in your direction, you float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
Keep up the good work Ben I'm sure one day the Queen will honour you for your dedication in debunking the fecking eejit that is Morrissey.

Either that's fabulous sarcasm or it's JB, Bummie or even Benny himself posting anonymously. Either way, it's pretty funny since everyone knows that Benny has consistently achieved precisely nothing. :D

So boring... Please for the love of God end this irrelevant site. David what possible joy could this bring to you anymore. This is just lame.

The last time I saw a story like this was when he shut down the McDonald's inside of staples center. There was quite a buzz about it while we were waiting for the doors to open and once inside people gawking at a shut down icon just for This Guy, and you know what I think I felt proud. Meat-free venues have become part of the Morrissey concert experience. Deal with it.

THE SHAME OF BELOVED IRELAND. (They kill cows don't they).

I was shocked to the core this week to learn that Morrisseys beloved Ireland not only supplies so much meat to McDonald's but also to the Chineses sub species.
The video for M I M will no effect on the Belfast audiance whatsoever, just another day at the office.
BAN BELFAST NOW !

ICSA WELCOMES MCDONALD’S CONTINUED SUPPORT FOR IRISH BEEF INDUSTRY
The Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers’ Association is welcoming the announcement that McDonald’s has awarded a lucrative contract to Dawn Meats for the processing of up to 18,000 tonnes of Irish beef annually for its extensive restaurant chain.

The ICSA’s Beef Committee Chairman, Edmond Phelan says the €300 million euro contract is a major boost for the Irish beef industry. “McDonald’s is already the single largest buyer of Irish beef, and the fact that it expects to grow this further in the coming years is hugely encouraging. McDonald’s was one of the most high-profile participants in the ICSA Restaurant Certification scheme, and today one in five beef burgers served in McDonald’s restaurants across Europe is made from Irish beef.”

The McDonald’s contract means that Dawn Meats will be investing €14.5 million in a new, state of the art beef processing plant in Carroll’s Cross, Co. Waterford, creating 65 new jobs. It solidifies Ireland’s position as a strategically important market for the global restaurant chain and means that Irish beef, which had previously been shipped to the UK and Europe for processing, will now be processed here, adding value to the beef products being exported from Ireland.

“The Dawn Meats contract and subsequent investment is hugely significant for the whole industry; and is a further indication of the high level of confidence consumers have in Irish beef products, both here and abroad,” Mr. Phelan added.

The announcement comes on top of a visit to Ireland by Vice Minister Gao Hongbin, from the Chinese Agriculture Ministry, marking a significant step forward in the efforts to begin exporting Irish beef to China. A full technical team is also due to come to Ireland in the coming weeks, to examine first hand the controls applying to beef production here.

“I think this is a very exciting prospect for Irish beef producers and processors. If the industry is to remain strong and vibrant then developing new markets is absolutely crucial, and the Chinese market would open up a world of opportunities,” according to Mr. Phelan.

“This visit, which is a follow up to the visit of Chinese Vice President Xi Jingping, demonstrates a real interest by the Chinese Government in our beef, which is hugely positive for the future.”

The last time I saw a story like this was when he shut down the McDonald's inside of staples center. There was quite a buzz about it while we were waiting for the doors to open and once inside people gawking at a shut down icon just for This Guy, and you know what I think I felt proud. Meat-free venues have become part of the Morrissey concert experience. Deal with it.

Well said don't Morrissey fans already now the venues will be meat free by now, wheres the issue.

Either that's fabulous sarcasm or it's JB, Bummie or even Benny himself posting anonymously. Either way, it's pretty funny since everyone knows that Benny has consistently achieved precisely nothing. :D
I am sure it is sarcasm. Stings like a bee. Ha ha. Annoying like a wasp yes. Benny is alone in a corner shouting at shadows.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom