Morrissey bans meat from his Belfast show at the Odyssey Arena - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Morrissey bans meat from his Belfast show at the Odyssey Arena: Heaven knows we're miserable now... - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
BY CHRIS KILPATRICK – 31 JANUARY 2015

Excerpt:

In an unprecedented move, the Belfast venue has warned staff that vegetarian food only will be allowed during the ex-Smiths star's show.

Up to 10,000 fans are expected to attend the performance with tickets currently available for around £50.

The move by Morrissey to stop revellers eating any meat while at the show has been branded as "bizarre" and "silly tokenism".

Animal rights activists defended his strong pro-vegan stance. Earlier this week an email was sent to all staff at the Odyssey Arena entitled 'Morrissey catering stipulation'.

...The email was leaked to the BBC Nolan Show. Businessman and commentator Jeffrey Peel criticised Morrissey's request, describing it as "celebrity nonsense".

"We're the backbone, no pun intended, of the meat industry in the UK," he said.

"Northern Ireland meat producers produce the beef which goes into McDonald's burgers, we slaughter more chickens than just about any other part of the United Kingdom.

"It seems absolutely bizarre that his fans, probably 99% of which eat meat, should be denied the opportunity to eat it the night of the concert.

"He can insist his fans don't eat meat on the evening, it probably won't do them much harm, but the fact is they'll probably leave the concert and merrily chomp through beef and chicken and the rest after the concert."

Animal rights activist John Carmody defended the star: "What I would say is Morrissey feels incredibly strongly about cruelty to animals and he feels incredibly strongly about animals in factory farms," he said. "I think he's standing by his morals on this particular one."

He added: "I wouldn't say he's imposing his morals. He's ensuring his hands are clean of any animal suffering which is caused."

In the interview he did in New York, the day that Victoria Wood met hi, he had cheese sandwiches with chips. To answer the question above.

I love cheese too. And chips.

Did Victoria grind salt on his chips?

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

i dont know when that was so i cant say if it pertains to his life style now. i dont care if he does eat cheese and do know he has in the past along with other stuff he doesnt eat now. i cant cant say one way or the other as it seems hes trying out a vegan diet. i dont know if hes become vegan or not, thats the point, i dont know but getting a soy based drink would have me believe otherwise.

So you don't care if he eats cheese. Vegans don't eat cheese. But you believe he's vegan because he drinks a soy based drink? Entirely logical, just like Morrissey.

best
BB

but i dont know he does eat kerrygold cheese and having it on a rider isnt proof that he does. i dont think it "pure" (absolutism and purity is part of why my problem with your argument) hypocrisy to let people eat cheese backstage and to ban meat. morrissey has to compromise his existence to the degree that he has to and can stomach and so he does, more so than many others ive seen. being human and having existence force compromise on you is part of being human and the human struggle however much we might dislike it (you take part in this as well, so do i) and in my eyes does not make someone a hypocrite in the practical common sense of the word. if anything i see his not banning cheese and everything he doesnt care for as morrissey being respectful as he can towards those around him and those who attend his concert. his best compormise

If you think a crank singer banning meat from venues whilst singing 'Meat Is Murder' on a stomach full of cheese means 'compromise', what on earth would Morrissey be like if he actually had any real power beyond his deluded cult in the first 10 rows? He eats cheese. Ask Victoria Wood.

best
BB

If you think a crank singer banning meat from venues whilst singing 'Meat Is Murder' on a stomach full of cheese means 'compromise', what on earth would Morrissey be like if he actually had any real power beyond his deluded cult in the first 10 rows? He eats cheese. Ask Victoria Wood.

best
BB

You don't know that he eats cheese or that the cheese on the rider was for him. You have zero proof beyond a photo from 6 years ago.

In the interview he did in New York, the day that Victoria Wood met hi, he had cheese sandwiches with chips. To answer the question above.

I love cheese too. And chips.

So are we all cool with the fact that he eats the cheese now ? Or do we need to dig the interview out ?
(Team D B).

Benny-the-British-Butcher

IMG_20150210_092844.jpg

So are we all cool with the fact that he eats the cheese now ? Or do we need to dig the interview out ?
(Team D B).

Benny-the-British-Butcher

And how long ago was that interview? Should we be angry that he ate bacon when he was 8?

And how long ago was that interview? Should we be angry that he ate bacon when he was 8?

The interview was in 2014. LOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

We've moved on to The BRITS for now, but we'll get back to the cheese stuff when Morrissey decides to issue another edict about food.

best
BB

The interview was in 2014. LOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

We've moved on to The BRITS for now, but we'll get back to the cheese stuff when Morrissey decides to issue another edict about food.

best
BB

And it's now 2015.

Back
Top Bottom