Morrissey bans meat from his Belfast show at the Odyssey Arena - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Morrissey bans meat from his Belfast show at the Odyssey Arena: Heaven knows we're miserable now... - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
BY CHRIS KILPATRICK – 31 JANUARY 2015

Excerpt:

In an unprecedented move, the Belfast venue has warned staff that vegetarian food only will be allowed during the ex-Smiths star's show.

Up to 10,000 fans are expected to attend the performance with tickets currently available for around £50.

The move by Morrissey to stop revellers eating any meat while at the show has been branded as "bizarre" and "silly tokenism".

Animal rights activists defended his strong pro-vegan stance. Earlier this week an email was sent to all staff at the Odyssey Arena entitled 'Morrissey catering stipulation'.

...The email was leaked to the BBC Nolan Show. Businessman and commentator Jeffrey Peel criticised Morrissey's request, describing it as "celebrity nonsense".

"We're the backbone, no pun intended, of the meat industry in the UK," he said.

"Northern Ireland meat producers produce the beef which goes into McDonald's burgers, we slaughter more chickens than just about any other part of the United Kingdom.

"It seems absolutely bizarre that his fans, probably 99% of which eat meat, should be denied the opportunity to eat it the night of the concert.

"He can insist his fans don't eat meat on the evening, it probably won't do them much harm, but the fact is they'll probably leave the concert and merrily chomp through beef and chicken and the rest after the concert."

Animal rights activist John Carmody defended the star: "What I would say is Morrissey feels incredibly strongly about cruelty to animals and he feels incredibly strongly about animals in factory farms," he said. "I think he's standing by his morals on this particular one."

He added: "I wouldn't say he's imposing his morals. He's ensuring his hands are clean of any animal suffering which is caused."

Or possibly because it's difficult to get to from Mexico, you racist c***

nobody is fooled by this act, everyone knows you and aztec camera and you are one and the same.
you have to be specially dense if you think that 'aztec camera' is american.

"Animal rights activists defended his strong pro-vegan stance. "
"I think he's standing by his morals on this particular one."

Morrissey is the ultimate anti-vegan charlatan. He is indeed 'standing by his morals' on this one, as he is entirely delusional and bankrupt with regard to 'animal rights'. Throw some more cheese at the eejit when he steps onstage. He is a total charlatan, a fraud and a laughing stock when it comes to 'animal rights'. Is there a Pestana hotel in Belfast for this calf-murdering cheese-eater to stay in?

best
BB

Are you saying that because he can't do everything he shouldn't do anything?

Are you saying that because he can't do everything he shouldn't do anything?

He's saying that one so outspoken on animal rights can and should walk the talk. The pleasure Morrissey gets from the taste of cow cheese doesn't justify the exploitation, suffering and killing implicit to it. It is just as frivolous and unnecessary as the seal kills, royals hunting, bullfighting and all the other non-human suffering he spends so much time criticising.

He's saying that one so outspoken on animal rights can and should walk the talk. The pleasure Morrissey gets from the taste of cow cheese doesn't justify the exploitation, suffering and killing implicit to it. It is just as frivolous and unnecessary as the seal kills, royals hunting, bullfighting and all the other non-human suffering he spends so much time criticising.

While I appreciate the sentiment, he's done more for the cause of vegetarianism by getting out there and making a noise than you've ever managed to achieve by trying to belittle him on here - a small forum in the far-reaches of the internet. Few of us are perfect and those who claim to be are probably the least trustworthy. We do what we do, what we can and we draw the line where we feel we comfortable. If you're so sanctimonious that you think you can't be faulted, then you're wrong and you are missing the point.

Jeffrey Peel's estimate that "probably 99% of" Morrissey's fans "eat meat" sounds over-inflated to me. Sure, there are those dumb Morrissey fans like JK Rowling who eat meat, but 99% of the fans? That just doesn't sound right.

On the topic of concert goers who eat at their seats...yes, they look pretty gross. Can they even set their food tray down somewhere so they can sanitize their hands?

Once I got super thirsty at a Morrissey concert, which is rare for me because I drink a beverage at every meal and thus rarely get thirsty, but I held my thirst and drank water when I got home. I have discipline. The fast-food meat eaters should try it.

Good for him. Jeffrey Peel sounds like a f***en idiot.

nobody is fooled by this act, everyone knows you and aztec camera and you are one and the same.

Em, only you it would appear and yes I must be specially dense then.

You have to be especially dense if you think 'specially dense' makes sense.

THIS STORY IS OLD BUT IT GOES ON !

Hyp-hoc music at its best well done Steven you really are taking the cheese with this one.

"We're the backbone, no pun intended, of the meat industry in the UK," he said.

"Northern Ireland meat producers produce the beef which goes into McDonald's burgers, we slaughter more chickens than just about any other part of the United Kingdom."

We had just come to terms with you bending the meat rules staying in 5* hotels with the wiff of 5* meat wafting all around the occupants but now I've read this I think to be fair to Canada the decent thing would be to cancel this performance altogether.
How can you perform in the backyard of McDonald's slaughter house.

Come on Steven you plastic phoney time to do the right thing for once "I smell bull shite and celebrity nonsense

Benny-the-British-butcher

Welcome to the world of morrissey. Where everyone had 50 pounds to throw away to trash. Fans from Poland are fighting for cash few months now. Live Nation is a bitch, just like mr. morrissey. If you want to join lawsuit join us on facebook profile oddawać szmal za koncert morrisseya czyli pozywamy live nation, profile is in english also. Morrissey, please die, you are nothing more then margaret :)

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience.
If you'd like to know more or change your settings, our Cookie Policy explains more.

About our food / Our Beef
Irish Beef
We buy beef from 18,000 Irish family farms, meaning that 1 in 5 hamburgers sold in McDonald’s across Europe is of Irish origin.
We are the largest purchaser of Irish beef by volume every year. We purchase 40,000 tonnes of beef which is then exported to other European markets, meaning that every year one in five hamburgers sold in McDonald’s in Europe is of Irish origin.

Every McDonald’s beef product sold in Ireland is made from 100% pure Irish beef – with just a little salt and pepper added after cooking. That’s why we can use the Bord Bia certified member logo on our beef – it shows that the beef has come from one of 18,000 accredited farms across Ireland that supply McDonald’s.

So, whether you are in one of our restaurants from Athlone to Zurich, there’s a pretty good chance that the beef you’re eating has come from one of our Irish farms.

About our food
Irish Produce
Our Beef
file
Facebook Email Us | Privacy | Terms & Conditions | ©2010-2015 McDonald's. All Rights Reserved.

I laugh in the face of Steven Patrick Hypocrisy !
Clubbing seals in Canada is nothing compared to what goes on in Ireland.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Didn't someone recently point out that as soon as a positive news story was posted, mods ensured that a negative story (or one that included someone attacking Moz) was quickly posted thereafter. I seem to recall Skinny dismissing that as rubbish...

Is the Belfast story really "news" - SPM's stipulations are well known and everyone knows that there some who disagree. Heavens forbid that the story about how well Autobiography has done should stay top of the front page for too long! I mean, we wouldn't want to think something Morrissey had done had been successful, would we..?

It is easier to abstain from Morrissey than it is to abstain from animal products, so who's the biggest hypocrite -- Morrissey for not living in a vegan bubble or the anti-Morrissey people who seek out Morrissey news on which to comment loudly and often? Check yourselves, weirdos.

While I appreciate the sentiment, he's done more for the cause of vegetarianism by getting out there and making a noise than you've ever managed to achieve by trying to belittle him on here - a small forum in the far-reaches of the internet. Few of us are perfect and those who claim to be are probably the least trustworthy. We do what we do, what we can and we draw the line where we feel we comfortable. If you're so sanctimonious that you think you can't be faulted, then you're wrong and you are missing the point.

Given that Morrissey eats cheese (thereby supporting the economics of veal) yet feels he has the right to call others out as guilty of 'murder' for eating meat, this is a surprisingly silly comment.

As for sanctimonious, it's hard to imagine anything more sanctimonious than Steven's sermon on the ethics of eating meat whilst bits of cow bodily fluid congealed into cheese taint his singing breath.

Many people on this site eat meat, many more eat cheese, eggs and milk. In terms of animal torture & slaughter, there's no difference. Morrissey is ludicrous to suggest there is. He has a phobia about consuming animal flesh but not other animal body fluids. It only makes sense as a personal foible disguised as a 'moral crusade', or a trolling of the public for publicity purposes to sell concert tickets. As others have noted, by the logic of his boycott of Canada, the last place he'd play would be Ireland, given it's the epicentre of McDonalds Meat Production in Europe.

best
BB

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom