Weller & Marr at RAH for Teenage Cancer Trust

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
Re: Weller & Marr at RAH for Teenage Cancer Trust.

I don't want to sound cliched,but......at the end of the day......it is for a wonderful cause !!!!!!!
Neither of them have to do this,and both should be praised for taking part.
If it makes more people aware of the amazing work these special,caring people give to all our children then they have done their job.
It would be so refreshing if more people in the public eye made similar efforts.
With their help we may eventually see "the light at the end of the tunnel"
morrissey's cancer scares may have proved the catalyst for mr.marr to get involved with the charity.
Rant over !!!!
Best wishes to each and everyone !!!
Keith.
X!

so did we ever figure out what marrs canceled tour was about? i assumed sick relative as thats what he alluded to but maybe thats over now

http://www.gigsandtours.com/event/paul-weller/royal-albert-hall-london/850418

If Weller 'sings' 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' I may just have to self-perforate both my ear drums :sick:

Miley Cyrus, come back, all is forgiven.

In fact the idea of 'The Modfather' gurning out any Morrissey lyric turns me guts...

Well Joe it's already happened I'm afraid although it's doubtful whether any recordings exist.

I belive in around 1991 when Paul Welder (sic) was touring as the Paul Weller Movement prior to creating Dadrock and post Promised Land Style Councilee Weller played a small gig where he sang 30 secs of Heaven Knows Im Miserable Now as a barbed response to Morrissey's That's Entertainment.

I believe the gig was reviewed in Sounds/ NME. I read aghast at the time as Weller was a hasbeen prior to his 1993 resurrection as DadRock God

From a Weller fansite

Late 1990 and 1991 saw Weller hit the road to test out his new songs and to recapture his feel for playing live again. I remember seeing The Paul Weller Movement at the Ritz in New York City in December 1991. Since he didn’t have enough new material he also dipped into his back catalogue of songs from The Jam and The Style Council. At the end of “That’s Entertainment” Weller mockingly reeled off a few lines from The Smiths’ “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now,” as Morrissey had just covered the classic Jam song.

Last edited:

Well Joe it's already happened I'm afraid although it's doubtful whether any recordings exist.

I belive in around 1991 when Paul Welder (sic) was touring as the Paul Weller Movement prior to creating Dadrock and post Promised Land Style Councilee Weller played a small gig where he sang 30 secs of Heaven Knows Im Miserable Now as a barbed response to Morrissey's That's Entertainment.

I believe the gig was reviewed in Sounds/ NME. I read aghast at the time as Weller was a hasbeen prior to his 1993 resurrection as DadRock God

Thank you, I never knew that. He really is quite the git. Which would be fine, if Welder sang/wrote like a god. But he sings like a git too. And a miserable old one at that.

I remember reading one of the many 'Mojo' hagiographic interviews with him a few years back where he was asked about Morrissey's admiration for him, and he responded with a kind of 'gawd knows why, can't stand him meself guvnor' type reply. And I thought 'what a lovely, generous chap you are Paul'. Fine, if you don't like the music Moz makes but at least accept the admiration with some modicum of grace :rolleyes:

And if he could not hear that Morrissey's 'That's Entertainment' was a beautiful rendering of his work, then he has the cloth ears to match his (Italian) cloth cap :crazy:

ps ~ I always had a chuckle when I read about the Paul Weller Movement back in the day. He really was setting himself up for the shit reviews...

Last edited:
Me thinks Weller was jealous that Moz's version was better than his own. He's nothing but a washed up has been. I remember his heavily pregnant 20-year old wife posing topless with him standing there. Ridiculous.

great cause, hope they raise lots of awareness and of course cash.as for weller and marr well neither have written a decent song in a very long time, am sure the 50 year old modlife crisis "tonight Mathew im going to be a mod" brigade will enjoy it

i was seriously disappointed when i found out that he didnt write those words. excellent song, very moving

Me thinks Weller was jealous that Moz's version was better than his own. He's nothing but a washed up has been. I remember his heavily pregnant 20-year old wife posing topless with him standing there. Ridiculous.

I don't mind Weller, and I love Moz, I realise where I am posting but let's just be careful shall we?

Does anyone have a clue what this is? Are they performing as a duo? Is Johnny the support act? Is it a big charity event with only two artists so far confirmed?

i was seriously disappointed when i found out that he didnt write those words. excellent song, very moving

I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember reading somewhere that Paul Weller went back to his flat drunk one night and woke up the next morning still in his clothes, with the lyrics and chords to That's Entertainment lying next to him and no memory of having written it.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember reading somewhere that Paul Weller went back to his flat drunk one night and woke up the next morning still in his clothes, with the lyrics and chords to That's Entertainment lying next to him and no memory of having written it.

Same happened to me once, except instead of the chords and lyrics to That's Entertainment, it was a fat woman.

EDIT: to keep the above anecdote on topic, it was after a Smiths Night.

thats very interesting if true. wellers stuff while some very good always seems so overly mannered and calculated while the song and lyrics to thats entertainment seems to have a more natural flow, seems more relaxed and endearing when i hear it than anything else hes ever done. im not a big fan of his music but i do find him interesting. i own none of his records if thats an indication of my fandom so take that opinion for what it is, meaning a very superficial one.

Back
Top Bottom