Johnny Marr, with your theatrics...

Hehe. The bit where she removes the mask is pretty creepy.

I've been listening to a lot of Grace Jones in the past few weeks. I go in phases with her music. Two weeks on, two years off. The Sly & Robbie stuff, as above, is tremendous. Private Life is a Chrissie Hynde song but Grace beats the Pretenders original for me. The bitterness seeps through Grace's vocal, while Chrissie sounds resigned.

The actual Johnny Marr line is a French phrase apparently, "J'ai les glandes" meaning "I have (the) glands". I assume it is close to our phrase in English "you make my gorge rise" as in you make me angry.

The actual Johnny Marr line is a French phrase apparently, "J'ai les glandes" meaning "I have (the) glands". I assume it is close to our phrase in English "you make my gorge rise" as in you make me angry.

I thought that, and went to look. In the Pretenders original, Hynde sings "J'ai les glandes", but Grace Jones does sing "J'en ai marre" - "I'm tired with your theatrics"

P.

Yep, I've also seen it as "Had enough" which it patently isn't. I much prefer "J'en ai marre" to the original. I was just about to write a line about Grace's French being better than Hynde's but my legs crossed involuntarily at the thought.

Back
Top Bottom