Do I qualify?

Yes Siam

Expatriate
Hello brothers and sisters,

I remember seeing a strange skinny guy on Top of the Pops as a kid in the south of England and the descending 'in my life' bit from Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now stayed in my head for years. It wasn't until more than a decade later I made the connection, so if that doesn't count as my introduction to Morrissey then it was the second time I noticed him as a teenager in John Menzies in Aylesbury on the Kill Uncle sleeve and I bought the album simply on the sleeve alone. He was the coolest looking human I had ever seen.

I wanted to like the songs and I did, having no idea how disliked the album was, and was particularly fond of 'King Leer' and 'Driving Your Girlfriend Home' - I always thought the last line "..and we're shaking hands, goodnight so politely" was sarcastic and meant that he was snogging her, though I may be wrong.

Hated 'Found Found Found' but moved onto Bona Drag, loved it, was introduced to The Smiths sometime later at college when introduced to 'There is a Light' and the rest is history though I've been very much an on/off fan. Only saw him once during the Kill Uncle tour and from a distance at a signing in HMV Oxford Street where, alas, I wasn't early enough. I would have seen him a second time at the Madness concert had those idiots on the crowd not pelted him with bottles and coins. (or if he hadn't come on stage wearing the union jack but I can't really blame him)

I completely skipped Maladjusted, Refusal and Ringleader but World Peace and Autobiography has be firmly back in 1994.

Twelve years in Bangkok and I've only (recently) met one other 'fan', though she hadn't heard 'Teenage Dad on His Estate' which had me shaking my head and tutting.

Very surprised to see he's been to Jakarta, which is only a couple of hours flight away, but I can't see him ever coming to Thailand. He's way to complex and unconventional for this lot.

Recently I've been on a diet of Oboe Concerto, Shiela Take A Bow, and Dial-A-Cliche. Can't get enough of them.

So anyway, I'm happy to find a forum of like minded folk who can maybe answer some questions that have been lingering for a couple of decades.

I can't think of any right now, but I'm sure they'll crop up.

Back
Top Bottom