Celebrities you've met - but with you hadn't?

Fiona

Love Morrissey ♥
Celebrities you've met - but wish you hadn't?

Thought it'd be interesting to see if any of you have met any of your favourite artists, or celebrities.
How was the experience? Have you met certain individuals but were left wishing that you hadn't?

I have to admit that most of my experiences have been good. I met Tori Amos a handful of times, and she was really lovely and gracious each time. Oddly enough, it's been "minor" celebs who often appear to be the ones who seem to have the biggest ego, in my experience.

It's often said that it's wise not to meet your idols - do you agree? Have any of you got any interesting stories or anecdotes to share?

Last edited:
I went to one of Michael Caine's book signings. Everyone had to stand about ten feet away from him and a bouncer took your book off you, gave it to him to sign and then you had to wait about ten yards past him to get your book back. What a joker.

That is totally soaked in ego. A shame when the fame goes to their heads. The nicest for me was Daryl Hannah from Kill Bill. She was so sweet.

Corey Fieldman from Goonies and Lost Boys? He seemed very into himself, that put me off.

Ertha Kitt once pushed in front of me in a queue. She was quite blatant, and gave me that "don't you know who I am" look. I did know who she was, and I knew that she was in a production over the road. However, she had a fur coat on, so I dispensed with her as I would anyone else who tried that trick. She looked shocked.

I went to one of Michael Caine's book signings. Everyone had to stand about ten feet away from him and a bouncer took your book off you, gave it to him to sign and then you had to wait about ten yards past him to get your book back. What a joker.

I thought he was the butler. Womp-womp-womp.

That kind of ruined my day because he's one of my favorite actors. :(

I met Tony Blair and Jacques Chirac at an Anglo-French summit in Canary Wharf in 1997. This was Blair in his pomp and he was memorable without being particularly charismatic. A man who plainly wanted to be everyone's mate, and I was reminded of the famous Francis Urquhart quote: "His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait that; in a spaniel. Or a whore."

Strange that that fresh faced young thing, still months away from the death of Diana and the whole "She. Was. The. People's. Princess." stuff, upon which he began to build his worldwide fame, should turn out to be such a Greek tragedy, as the Gods punish him by slowly turning him into a living skull.

Chirac however looked and sounded the part of a French President, and exuded an impressivly powerful and compelling charm. Another dodgy bugger, naturally, but an impressive one.

Ertha Kitt once pushed in front of me in a queue. She was quite blatant, and gave me that "don't you know who I am" look. I did know who she was, and I knew that she was in a production over the road. However, she had a fur coat on, so I dispensed with her as I would anyone else who tried that trick. She looked shocked.

You really missed a trick here. Not only would I have allowed Eartha Kitt to push ahead of me, but I also would have lain on the floor so she could walk on my chest to get to the front. And while she did it I would have shouted "C'est si bon! C'est si bon!"

How could you be so foolish? Some of us know when we're in the company of greatness. Perhaps you're feeling overwhelmed to be in my presence right now and you're starting to understand what this means? If so, save it. I have enough bootlickers. And I don't associate with people who would flagrantly disrespect Eartha Kitt, and try to humiliate her in public just to look like a big man in front of strangers. I have no time for that!!

At least you have the story of the time you prevented her from cutting in line to take to your grave with you. But with my version of the story you would have died a much happier man. Let this be a lesson to you.

[video=youtube;YsPon0V1nyQ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsPon0V1nyQ[/video]

Regards,
Mozambiguous

Last edited:
Talking of book signings, I went to a Jo Brand one, was never really into her and often found her a bit unfunny but went along anyway as she was in town and so was I.

She was lovely, charming, very funny and had time for everyone. I've always liked her since.

I always had the impression Jo Brand would be sweet, though like you, I never thought much of her comedy :)

I met Geri Halliwell (Ginger Spice) once, back when I was younger. I remember her saying to me, "You've got beautiful hair!" Random but true.

I always had the impression Jo Brand would be sweet, though like you, I never thought much of her comedy :)

I met Geri Halliwell (Ginger Spice) once, back when I was younger. I remember her saying to me, "You've got beautiful hair!" Random but true.

It doesn't take much to be kind does it? My favourite "celebrity" moment was having to go to some dinner thing through work and getting chatting to a footballer - Mel Sterland - that used to play for Leeds and Sheffield in the 80's. We ended up staying up much of the night until I could drink no more, he was really nice. He laughed, cried, had a gay son which he wouldn't stop talking about how proud he was of him, not what you'd expect of the average footballer. The only down side was he'd just written a book which I then dashed out to buy and it was a bit crap, not sure his ghost writer was too literate.

Charlie, that sounds like a great experience. You're right, kindness costs nothing and gives a fan a real gift of a memory.

I've heard Morrissey is kind to fans. I'd love to have the chance to meet him. I'd likely shrivel up with nerves :)

I've met most of my big, longtime songwriting heroes multiple times: Robert Smith, Mark Burgess, Richard Butler. No regrets for having met any of them, though I can say I have learned that it's best (for me) to keep the people I want to remain mysterious (or whatever you want to call it) at arm's length and to keep the extended interaction to minimum.

I am really not easily "starstruck" and I don't ever have expectations of superhuman greatness when it comes to anyone, but something does change when you meet someone you've long admired from afar. I have no idea if I'd ever want to meet Morrissey for that reason. Up to now, I've avoided any situation (signings, etc.) where that could have happened.

I meet a lot of famous (to varying degrees) people who have written books because of my job—not necessarily anyone I had an existing interest in, but most of those meetings have been positive: Shirley MacLaine (and her dog), Hillary Clinton, Helen Mirren…all very nice. I think the sweetest interaction I've ever had with an author was La Toya Jackson, funnily enough. Oh, and Tim Gunn. Of course. He is one of the most genuinely kind people I've ever met in my life.

I met Tony Blair and Jacques Chirac at an Anglo-French summit in Canary Wharf in 1997. This was Blair in his pomp and he was memorable without being particularly charismatic. A man who plainly wanted to be everyone's mate, and I was reminded of the famous Francis Urquhart quote: "His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait that; in a spaniel. Or a whore."
Strange that that fresh faced young thing, still months away from the death of Diana and the whole "She. Was. The. People's. Princess." stuff, upon which he began to build his worldwide fame, should turn out to be such a Greek tragedy, as the Gods punish him by slowly turning him into a living skull.

Chirac however looked and sounded the part of a French President, and exuded an impressivly powerful and compelling charm. Another dodgy bugger, naturally, but an impressive one.

Love that quote.

Chickpea-Thanks for your reply, sounds like you've had some really interesting experiences through your work. I also agree with you-something indeed DOES change when you meet someone you admire...Tori Amos has been one of my favourite artists, for many years, and I was relieved to find that she was extremely friendly and kind. The first time I met her, I was so nervous, and she hugged me for ages. That was very sweet.

What was La Toya like?

I've been fortunate enough to meet a lot of my heroes (David Byrne, Trent Reznor, John Waters, Michael Gira to name a few) and I've never had a bad experience, but nothing comes close to when I met Eddie Izzard. It was surreal, and chance has never been so kind to me since.

This happened about four years ago. I was 19 and it was the first time I'd ever gone to NYC by myself. I had been meandering around midtown for a while waiting to hear from a friend when, beyond belief, I saw Izzard on the street and without thinking I made a beeline right for him. As it happened, he was in town for a run in a production of what was then David Mamet's latest play and I was just in the right place at the right time. He was very approachable and wasn't perturbed in the slightest to be recognized. We wound up walking around together for a while just bullshitting about Iron Man 2 and the minutia of my mundane existence, which for some reason he took a genuine interest in. He took a selfie of the two of us, which remains one of the only photos of myself I like, and only because he's in it. He was incredibly charming and nice to me when he didn't have to be and made what was shaping up to be an average day pretty extraordinary. I felt bowled over by his lack of pretension. A couple of weeks later, a few friends and I went to see his show and afterward we waited outside to get our playbills signed. When he saw me, he addressed me by name, which probably isn't a big deal considering how little time had passed between our first meeting but I still felt stupidly sentimental about it.

The only negative experience I've had with a celebrity happened after an Izzard gig, oddly enough. It was in a tiny theater on Bleecker Street, and my friend and I were chatting after the show when he spotted Chris Rock. He was too nervous to approach him, so I went up and introduced myself with my friend in tow, and mentioned that we were fans, but Rock didn't say anything in response. He just gave me an aggrieved look and walked away. I guess he didn't want to be bothered, which is understandable, but there are ways to convey that without being rude. I shrugged it off but my friend was a bit disappointed.

What was La Toya like?

Very, very warm. She hugged me, told me she loved me, looked me directly in the eye when I talked to her, thanked me for being so supportive of her brother (this was soon after Michael's death, and I told her that I had been in his corner for many years—and thanked her for advocating on his behalf in life and in death), told me she loved her book cover. All of the things a designer wants to hear from an author, but seldom does. We only spent about five minutes together, but she gave me all of her attention. For all that has been said—negative and positive—about the Jackson family, one thing that is never disputed is the level of humble politeness and positivity of demeanor that all of the siblings exhibit. I am fascinated by them. And I don't think any of them have misgivings about the fact that Michael and Janet are the "famous" Jacksons.

Also worth noting: She looked much more "normal" in person than she does in photos. You don't notice the plastic surgery, she just looks beautiful…and very tiny. And perfumed. :)

This happened about four years ago. I was 19 and it was the first time I'd ever gone to NYC by myself. I had been meandering around midtown for a while waiting to hear from a friend when, beyond belief, I saw Izzard on the street and without thinking I made a beeline right for him. As it happened, he was in town for a run in a production of what was then David Mamet's latest play and I was just in the right place at the right time. He was very approachable and wasn't perturbed in the slightest to be recognized. We wound up walking around together for a while just bullshitting about Iron Man 2 and the minutia of my mundane existence, which for some reason he took a genuine interest in. He took a selfie of the two of us, which remains one of the only photos of myself I like, and only because he's in it. He was incredibly charming and nice to me when he didn't have to be and made what was shaping up to be an average day pretty extraordinary. I felt bowled over by his lack of pretension. A couple of weeks later, a few friends and I went to see his show and afterward we waited outside to get our playbills signed. When he saw me, he addressed me by name, which probably isn't a big deal considering how little time had passed between our first meeting but I still felt stupidly sentimental about it.

Love this story, Detritus!

Chickpea- That's amazing. Thanks for sharing. So many people have very strong pre-conceived ideas about the Jacksons. To hear about her being so warm and kind is lovely. I saw Michael on tour, a few times, in the 90's, and have alot of respect for him.

Detritus- Love that story! I've not seen much of Eddie's work myself, but have caught the odd clip on TV. He sounds very humble. So pleased for you, that the experience went well.

I've met most of my big, longtime songwriting heroes multiple times: Robert Smith, Mark Burgess, Richard Butler. No regrets for having met any of them, though I can say I have learned that it's best (for me) to keep the people I want to remain mysterious (or whatever you want to call it) at arm's length and to keep the extended interaction to minimum.

I am really not easily "starstruck" and I don't ever have expectations of superhuman greatness when it comes to anyone, but something does change when you meet someone you've long admired from afar. I have no idea if I'd ever want to meet Morrissey for that reason. Up to now, I've avoided any situation (signings, etc.) where that could have happened.

I meet a lot of famous (to varying degrees) people who have written books because of my job—not necessarily anyone I had an existing interest in, but most of those meetings have been positive: Shirley MacLaine (and her dog), Hillary Clinton, Helen Mirren…all very nice. I think the sweetest interaction I've ever had with an author was La Toya Jackson, funnily enough. Oh, and Tim Gunn. Of course. He is one of the most genuinely kind people I've ever met in my life.

My sister's boyfriend was her driver for many years. She's a lovely woman who can be cantankerous but is always self-aware. After he got in his car accident and stopped driving, she kept in touch and calls him often. THis would be like calling your plumber.

Here is one of my pictures. I know it looks like I am actually squeezing the life out of Tori, but I assure you it's just a lovely hug (albeit a very emotional one, for me anyway!) ;)

BeFunky_AATORI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom