Your Posting Style

Charlie Cheswick

So how do you think your posting style holds up in the real World?

I'm probably aligned with Jimmy Bullard from Hull City/I'm a Celebrity and what made him unpopular/unlikable lol. I just grew up taking shit off people and giving it back out, banter ha!. A bit cutting but not meant to be too serious.

All of this Internet stuff is a bit of fun no?

So what do you all get out of it?

i post just how i would speak in the real world. people dont like me

Real World Amie is much different than Crystal Geezer. I don't confront people unless they sing a song and dance and are late paying rent. But if I disagree with someone or something, I smile and nod. Also I don't share a lot of things whereas here I cross-reference and try to make connections. I also don't speak meme in real life whereas here I dip into it frequently. AND I keep my mind babies to myself unless I'm drunk and sitting around a fire pit with stoners, then I give tiny lectures which always end with "You should write a book."

screen-shot-2013-01-20-at-10-26-50-pm.png

i post just how i would speak in the real world. people dont like me

Haha! Popularity's over rated!

You come across as alright on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Real World Amie is much different than Crystal Geezer. I don't confront people unless they sing a song and dance and are late paying rent. But if I disagree with someone or something, I smile and nod. Also I don't share a lot of things whereas here I cross-reference and try to make connections. I also don't speak meme in real life whereas here I dip into it frequently. AND I keep my mind babies to myself unless I'm drunk and sitting around a fire pit with stoners, then I give tiny lectures which always end with "You should write a book."

screen-shot-2013-01-20-at-10-26-50-pm.png

I'm the opposite to that, if I disagree with something, even if it's people being loud next to me a public place, I pipe up. I've got issues ha!

cool, sometimes people just expect more polite politically correct social theater which i cant get down with if its at the expense of the truth so i end up putting a lot of consideration into what im saying in order to be both polite and to not have to compromise my point much. takes effort but i think ive benefited fromt he exercise over the years. the last thing i want to do is damage or upset people needlessly when theyre are so many different roads of influence to choose from. what im saying is who i am and i dont want ot be careless or hurtful or dis honest. who i am is very important to me

Great thread topic!

So how do you think your posting style holds up in the real World?

The people I work with would describe me as a certain way: industrious, conscientious, energetic, friendly, funny, caring, generous. They don't often get to see the fighting spirit in me unless I am forced into a corner. But I am always courteous and gracious. Never vulgar or abrasive.

All of this Internet stuff is a bit of fun no?

It is!

So what do you all get out of it?

I don't debate issues in real life. I work then choose to enjoy my free time being alone. I like the Net--and this website--because I get exposed to lots of viewpoints which intellectually stimulate and challenge me. I don't meet many people in my small town that are thinkers. These people stay within the lines. The most you'll get is them bitching about politics--usually the left--after they consumed hours of punditry on Fox news or a conservative talk radio show the week prior. They don't really feel empowered or optimistic. They act like victims who react rather than create. And the ones who are global thinkers tend to be too woo woo for my atheist/skeptic sensibilities. So that is why I spend time here. For pleasure and for the brain food.

The Net? Is it 1997?

At this point, I've met many dozens (if not hundreds) of people in person who I originally met online over the years, and the only comment I've ever gotten about being "different" from my internet persona is that I am louder and more openly friendly than they expected. I think my personality is essentially the same as what you see in my posts here, though maybe I'm a little more dramatic (that's the nice word) in real life.

From my perspective, the really big differences lie in the fact that while a lot of people believe they know a great deal about my personal life (I don't mean here on Solo, I mean from my internet presence elsewhere), what they've actually done is pieced together an idea of who I am based on what are in reality very limited details about me and turned that into a picture of a person/life that doesn't actually exist.

The way I communicate online is the way I wish I were able to articulate my thoughts in person. Face to face communication often makes me feel anxious and ill at ease, even when I'm talking to people I've known for years, and as a result most things that come out of my mouth are garbled and bastardized versions of what I was actually attempting to convey. It might just be that I overthink things, but I'm just not a very good extemporaneous speaker. With written communication, I have ample time to consider whatever I want to express, there's no uncomfortable pauses as I gather my thoughts and I don't have to worry about being self-conscious and hyper aware of my idiosyncrasies or awkwardness, like never knowing what to do with my hands when I'm talking to someone.

Other than that, the only major differences between my online persona and who I am in my day to day life come down to the limitations of internet-based communication. As Chickpea wrote, certain aspects of our personalities are represented through our presence online, such as our interests, views, etc. but it is still a fragment of a much larger whole. I think it's possible to make accurate inferences about a person through what they write and post online, but whether one can truly know someone without ever meeting them in person is a matter of debate. Hell, even people I've known for years "IRL" sometimes do things that make me question whether I ever knew them as well as I thought I did.

Last edited:
The way I communicate online is the way I wish I were able to articulate my thoughts in person. Face to face communication often makes me feel anxious and ill at ease, even when I'm talking to people I've known for years, and as a result most things that come out of my mouth are garbled and bastardized versions of what I was actually attempting to convey. It might just be that I overthink things, but I'm just not a very good extemporaneous speaker. With written communication, I have ample time to consider whatever I want to express, there's no uncomfortable pauses as I gather my thoughts and I don't have to worry about being self-conscious and hyper aware of my idiosyncrasies or awkwardness, like never knowing what to do with my hands when I'm talking to someone.

Other than that, the only major differences between my online persona and who I am in my day to day life come down to the limitations of internet-based communication. As Chickpea wrote, certain aspects of our personalities are represented through our presence online, such as our interests, views, etc. but it is still a fragment of a much larger whole. I think it's possible to make accurate inferences about a person through what they write and post online, but whether one can truly know someone without ever meeting them in person is a matter of debate. Hell, even people I've known for years "IRL" sometimes do things that make question whether I ever knew them as well as I thought I did.

You are a gifted communicator online. I enjoy reading your intelligent and balanced posts. Glad you post here.

With written communication, I have ample time to consider whatever I want to express, there's no uncomfortable pauses as I gather my thoughts and I don't have to worry about being self-conscious and hyper aware of my idiosyncrasies or awkwardness, like never knowing what to do with my hands when I'm talking to someone.

Well, that right there is the primary reason almost everyone I'm friends with IRL is someone I initially met online—and yes, that goes for local people too. One thing I've learned, though, is that stuff like what we perceive as awkward pauses and the whole "what the hell do I do with my hands" thing are not as noticeable to people in person as we imagine they are. I think a lot of people are actually grateful for those pauses, in fact. It can be a real relief to have a conversation with a person who doesn't feel the need to cram words into every breath, and who takes the time to gather their thoughts. The pauses are only awkward if we believe them to be.

This sums up my online approach, I'm cautious of everyone until I meet them or they display real interests that aren't obsessions or phoney personas.

38fddc8a-390b-43c1-a411-196021704734.jpg

You are a gifted communicator online. I enjoy reading your intelligent and balanced posts. Glad you post here.
Thanks. I like posting here, and there's some interesting people and discussions that make wading through the quagmire of flamewars and troll posts worth it.

Well, that right there is the primary reason almost everyone I'm friends with IRL is someone I initially met online—and yes, that goes for local people too. One thing I've learned, though, is that stuff like what we perceive as awkward pauses and the whole "what the hell do I do with my hands" thing are not as noticeable to people in person as we imagine they are. I think a lot of people are actually grateful for those pauses, in fact. It can be a real relief to have a conversation with a person who doesn't feel the need to cram words into every breath, and who takes the time to gather their thoughts. The pauses are only awkward if we believe them to be.
Someone else recently said something very similar to me, and it was nice to hear. For whatever reason I get caught up in arbitrary, self-imposed guidelines on how a conversation is supposed to "flow," which is what trips me up. I also agree that what we perceive as our shortcomings are often amplified through the prism of the self and aren't as obvious to other people, but I still get hung up on it.

That tarantula photo is premium Nightmare Fuel. :tears:

Tarantulas are very fragile. They have delicate exoskeletons, if they are dropped more than a few feet their body's literally shatter and it's quite an excruciating way to die and people don't realize they're in pain and they eventually stop eating and die. I have respect for them.

Tarantulas are very fragile. They have delicate exoskeletons, if they are dropped more than a few feet their body's literally shatter and it's quite an excruciating way to die and people don't realize they're in pain and they eventually stop eating and die. I have respect for them.

Can't. Won't. They make me vomit. It's an irrational fear, but it's one I live with. I prefer Ladybugs and bunnies. They're fragile too. I wouldn't deliberately kill one...unless it was in my house...which I would then proceed to burn down.

I have a proper phobia of spiders but I don't mind tarantulas, I even stroked on once in a pet shop. It's the fast ones that I hate, house spiders are the worst here. Some neighbour of mine told me to put conkers around the house to ward them off and I genuinely haven't had any since. Also leave your Daddy Long Legs up as they apparently eat other spiders.

Kind of like attending a party....sit and observe, comment where needed

Back
Top Bottom