Songs that shouldn't have made it onto a Moz album?

i feel you on billy bud. very simple and boring. have you ever read the book/collection. his love of alliteration and quadruple negatives can be found there. it was tough going for a bit as it just seemed way over stylized to the point of being pointless

My dear friend,it was recorded {badly},by a below sea level singer in 1965,who happens to have gone to the same private school as camilla parker bowles {mrs prince of wales}.
The prosecution rests it's casem'lud !!!!

Further to my post regarding the abomination better known as "golden lights",it was originally "murdered" by a below sea level singer in 1965,who happened to attend the same private girls school as camilla parker bowles {a.k.a. Mrs prince of wales}
the prosecution rests its case m'lud !!!!!

i feel you on billy bud. very simple and boring. have you ever read the book/collection. his love of alliteration and quadruple negatives can be found there. it was tough going for a bit as it just seemed way over stylized to the point of being pointless

Moz's book?

no i mean melvilles billy bud collection specifically bartleby. its not as rambling as proust but it goes on forever sometimes, the sentences the paragraphs, and the rhythm is a killer. i can see why moz likes it though as it at times does seem to mirror his prose

Of course, as our Graham used to say on Blind Date......."The decision, is yours" - not really in a position to tell the main man what ought not to be on the albums - though I would agree with some of the earlier posts.

I wouldn't touch Your Arsenal, Vauxhall or Southpaw.

Bengali is a bit shit to be fair - the sentiment is fine, but the tune is dross. If the opening track from Quarry were to be dropped I'd be happy enough with it.

Harsh truth
Lifeguard sleeping
Operation
He cried
Born
Good in your time
Smiler

I actually really like Kill Uncle aside from "Asian Rut" and what makes it worse is that it's the second track and really dampens the record early on. The other thing about Kill Uncle is it's I believe by at least 7 minutes Morrissey's shortest record proper as is, so one would need to replace the track with something half decent. Peculiarly the K.U. sessions seem to have been rather lean compared to most other album sessions and who knows what would be left. I'd settle for "Journalists Who Lie" and "Tony the Pony" I guess, just to bring it up to par length wise.

"Found Found Found" is great in my opinion; a bit of a prelude to the Your Arsenal sound. If it was a bit longer it would probably be more well rounded and honestly could have been a single. Incidentally I believe contrary to common belief that Morrissey is imploring someone to be with him "all the time" rather than complaining that someone is overbearing... after all he and Jake were definitely of the "all the time" nature.

Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I really have no weak tracks (the former is the only record in the world I would give a 10/10 rating) but with Vauxhall and I one could relegate one of tracks 8, 9, or 10 and it wouldn't make the record weaker per se.

His debut is fairly solid. One could switch tracks 10 and 11 in order and drop the final track and it wouldn't hurt the record though.

Southpaw Grammar's long tracks are a few minutes too long and with only 8 tracks the condensing of those two behemoths would require the addition of another track or two ideally ("Boxers" and "Sunny" would have worked).

Most of Maladjusted (despite flashes of brilliance), Ringleader of the Tormentors, and Years of Refusal are non-essential listening aside from a few tracks.

I actually think despite the production that You Are the Quarry is pretty darn good (despite the production) if you drop "All the Lazy Dykes" and maybe "How Can Anybody...". The thing is the record's length really waters it down by the second half. You Are the Quarry really begins Morrissey's quantity over quality era which unfortunately has persisted.

Last edited:
kill uncle was a great album live but world peace should never have been released full stop

Going post-Maladjusted

I'm not sorry
How can anyone
You know I couldn't
In the future
To me you are
On the streets
One day goodbye
Sorry doesn't help
I'm ok by myself
I'm not a man (his most excruciating lyric)
Smiler with knife ('sex and love are not the same' is a sub-Robert Palmer observation)
Oboe

I can understand a few of these, but to me "I'm OK By Myself" is amazing.

I'd say the most glaring - and recent - example of a piss-poor song is "Kick The Bride Down the Aisle". 0 on a scale of 1-10.

i really like the guitar part from hold on to your friends. the descending line is so mournful and the bend sounds like someone crying out ow. same with he cried. verse is really good. for sure agree about the other two

I can understand a few of these, but to me "I'm OK By Myself" is amazing.

I'd say the most glaring - and recent - example of a piss-poor song is "Kick The Bride Down the Aisle". 0 on a scale of 1-10.

100% Agreed.

I'm OK by myself is a terrific track, following the tradition of epic album closing tracks.
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle is not of this ilk at all.

That's a real list of halves, for me...

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, To Me You Are A Work Of Art, On The Streets I ran are all tracks I love.
Don't yet feel this way about any of World Peace.

Roy's Keen should be used at Guantanamo Bay to torture terrorists with. I'd tell you everything after hearing that lyric for the fifth or sixth time.

I think Morrissey would actually agree with you. I'm sure he'd be chuffed to be doing his bit for 'world peace.'

Back
Top Bottom