Antwerp - Stadsschouwburg (Nov. 27, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Suedehead / The Bullfighter Dies / Speedway + I Didn't Know What To Do + Speedway / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Smiler With Knife / Istanbul / Kiss Me A Lot / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Asleep / Scandinavia / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Mountjoy / Certain People I Know

set list provided by Alejandro Kapacevich / Facebook via Raphael Lambach.

• During the break in "Speedway", Gilbert O'Sullivan's "I Didn't Know What To Do" Was played. Link to video on YouTube (2:30 mark, user funktofunky11) posted by an anonymous person:

"I Didn't Know What To Do" by Gilbert O'Sullivan on YouTube (user mohawk3881) identified and posted by HangtheDJ16:

Description:

Another rare early track from around 1967 / 68 that appeared on the rare Italian album E LE SUE CANZONI in 1974 . This recording is unavailable on any of Gilbert`s current releases.

Last edited:
I was a few rows in front of the heckler. After 'Scandinavia' Morrissey started talking about the Belgian royals and went on about Kate Middleton. At the end of the speech some guy shouted "Just play us a song man!" in a quite derogatory manner as if bored. Morrissey reacted immediately and was obviously quite upset. He said:"Oh shut up! f*** off! ... I don't want to sing now." Then he asked for the houselights to go on and asked the heckler to make himself known. He did and it was an ugly middle aged balding guy with a red sweater. He was grinning and waving his arms in the air, obvioulsy enjoying his five minutes of fame. Morrissey called him out several times and dared him to come on the podium and sing us a song. The guy didn't move only called "I sing better than you!", but I think this got lost in the talking that had started to build in the hall at that time. Morrissey then called him a coward several times and then said "Just go away. Have I ever done that?" The heckler was really a big twat, cause later during 'Mountjoy' which was a really intimate beautiful moment he started screeching very loudly during the song and not in a cheering way but making a very harsh annoying sound, apparantly in attempt to ruin the ballad. And it did sort of ruin it for me. Morrissey went on and played a few more songs, but obviously way shorter than should have been. No HSIN, no MIM, no encore. It's such a shame because Morrissey had been in such good spirits, talking a lot to the crowd (about cyclists in Antwerp, about the 12 year old boy that got shot by police in Cleveland - he dedicated 'Asleep' to that boy-, and about the royals). At the moment I feel absolutely no anger towards Moz at all, only to the heckler who semi-ruined a great evening for all those hundreds of fans. In a way I was even glad Moz went on at all after that cause when he said "I don't want to sing now" I feared the show was over. We know he reacts very emotianal to these kind of shout outs, obviously there's a few twats who enjoy the negative attention and don't care about Moz or all the other people at the venue. I keep thinking what overly sedated people we Belgians are, if this had happened at a Moz concert in some places in the world I think the bystanders would have shoved the heckler out of the venue, but here people just gave him a few weird looks.
A few other moments. At some point during the show somebody shouted:"I love you!" and Moz quipped:"And are you seeing a psychiatrist?" I also want to mention the superb version of 'Asleep' for which he got a big ovation.
All in all a great evening, shame we missed out on a great finale due to the bald red sweater twat.

Thank you for that lovely post. You see, no one could really enjoy themselves with any bald twat in a red jumper (sweater.)
He probably couldn't take his beer. The joke is on him. In 30 years time (if he is still alive) he WILL feel a totally stupid fool, in a stupid red jumper. That is, ignoring the somewhat excellent Bella Freud Red Jumpers labelled GINSBERG IS GOD (just incase you didn't know etc.)

Right, I'm off to listen to Gene Vincent on YouTube.

Hazard
England.

I'm not worth hitting, but these are great songs on WPINOYB - so that's cool and amazing they can play 11 songs from this latest album.
But I would NEVER forgive someone, not even that fool in the red jumper, nor that someone.

After all of these incidents, maybe they should just close down ALL of the bars, and then not let anyone in who cannot walk the line
- I know that's a bit drastic. Maybe I need to think about this quietly not loudly listening to Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran. Then again, thankfully, no stupid fools in red jumpers shouted or heckled them. "People" just heckled and shouted at Bob Dylan !

Best,

Hazard
England.

I saw both the Antwerp shows. They were both great, morrissey in great form, great singing! Yesterday the crowd was much better, much better atmosphere. Although he did his best, the crowd today 'sucked'... On top of that, some 'stupid f*ck' in the crowd shouted some things that upset Morrissey (I couldn't understand what he said). Morrissey shouted 'f*** you' to the guy and invited him to come on stage and sing, when he didn't, Morrissey called him a coward ! Unbelievable that those people come to a concert ! Luckily he continued the show.
He played a lot of other songs than yesterday, that was great! Asleep, mountjoy, certain people I know, ... During the break in speedway they played another song!
He dedicated asleep to the boy that was shot in the US...
I blame it to that one coward that he walked off without encore...
All respect to Morrissey!

Which song during Speedway?

Also, have any videos surfaced yet of Smiler or Mountjoy?

Morrissey then called him a coward several times and then said "Just go away. Have I ever done that?" The heckler was really a big twat, cause later during 'Mountjoy' which was a really intimate beautiful moment he started screeching very loudly during the song and not in a cheering way but making a very harsh annoying sound, apparantly in attempt to ruin the ballad. And it did sort of ruin it for me.

Ugh. Really…what is wrong with people like this?

At some point during the show somebody shouted:"I love you!" and Moz quipped:"And are you seeing a psychiatrist?"

See, that's the kind of interaction we need more of.

Thanks for the recap, Al Gabal. I'm sorry the show was interrupted by that loser—sounds like a good night otherwise.

Great, isn't it?

I can't wait to hear these new songs live. Thank goodness Morrissey doesn't just rely on the old hits tour after tour.

100% agreed. I just don't know what people expect. The whole of Strangeways played in reverse order? And even if that did happen, we'd see about 400 posts here about how Boz / Jesse had 'butchered' the songs and how Saint Johnny could have turned water into wine. And he'd be heckled and NOT walk and then get criticised for swearing at some obnoxious balding blimp on the grounds of it being 'unprofessional'. Jesus H Christ, some of you want the moon on a stick!!!!!!

Good morning, Morrissey appeasers. It's all going jolly well, isn't it?

I refer you to my previous post made some twelve hours ago. Don't PM me for Saturday's lottery numbers. Sadly, my precognitive powers are only limited to the bleeding obvious.

Mountjoy at last!

I had hoped beyond hope somehow I'd be there for the first playing.

Good morning, Morrissey appeasers. It's all going jolly well, isn't it?

I refer you to my previous post made some twelve hours ago. Don't PM me for Saturday's lottery numbers. Sadly, my precognitive powers are only limited to the bleeding obvious.

What the f*** are you on about you bumbling knob?

It's a gig, the majority of fans were there to hear his songs, he played his songs, they went home happy.

Has it ever occurred to you that the majority of people don't give a sit about what he says, what he wears, what his opinions are and simply like his songs?

You really are a thick twat

I don't get why the crowd is unresponsive to some of you. Those who make that comment are in all likelyhood not Belgians. It was a typical, listening Belgian audience like it would be with any other artist. Anna Calvi's opening gig was as silent as I ever heard, everybody just nailed to their seats and listening. Sorry if we don't yell along with every syllable he sings.

It got rowday a couple minutes before M came on stage in the first rows, with a few punches thrown out too.
And I dare say that the heckler was most likely foreign. He shouldn't pay attention to those bastards. Not worth of stopping a gig or song for one guy.

I saw both the Antwerp shows. They were both great, morrissey in great form, great singing! Yesterday the crowd was much better, much better atmosphere. Although he did his best, the crowd today 'sucked'... On top of that, some 'stupid f*ck' in the crowd shouted some things that upset Morrissey (I couldn't understand what he said). Morrissey shouted 'f*** you' to the guy and invited him to come on stage and sing, when he didn't, Morrissey called him a coward ! Unbelievable that those people come to a concert ! Luckily he continued the show.
He played a lot of other songs than yesterday, that was great! Asleep, mountjoy, certain people I know, ... During the break in speedway they played another song!
He dedicated asleep to the boy that was shot in the US...
I blame it to that one coward that he walked off without encore...
All respect to Morrissey!

Let's see what happens on Saturday then shall we ?

Thanks Al for sharing! The I love you/Are you seeing a psychiatrist part is what I love so much about Morrissey shows.

It seems to have become a new thing for some people to come to Moz shows and ruin it for everyone. I don't get it cos tickets aren't that cheap and just to annoy others why pay so much money? I can't stand U2 but I would not even go to a show if someone paid me to do it. So why do it? Those people should just remain "online" and annoy others with their comments...because you can shut those people off by logging off but when it comes to a rarity like a concert it's just not possible. First Poland, then Essen and now Antwerp? Come on people....
Those people obviously know nothing. Cancer is nasty - I lost my mother to it and no one knows what it means to go through that pain and fear and struggle. And having Moz come onstage despite all of that is amazing...so seeing those hecklers makes me really angry. No one should ever go through cancer and its painful struggle. I wish nothing bad upon that heckler but maybe he should get his head checked some time. Him and those idiots from Essen and Poland.

I think Moz did the right thing - challenge the twat. He did not overreact and stormed off after 6 songs. Gig was short, but 15 songs IS a gig. Sure he is a very sensitive artist, but this time it was also professional to continue playing.

""At some point during the show somebody shouted:"I love you!" and Moz quipped:"And are you seeing a psychiatrist?" "

I think Moz answered back: I love you ... seeing a psychiatrist.

It was a great show (despite the short playlist and I agree that the band members seemed not like to enjoy playing), but again: it was a good performance by Morrissey.

Last edited:
Did the "frankly vulgar red pullover" thing really happen or am I drunk on Zin and not reading the trolling right?

You lady and your ignorance to the Michael Brown case determine you as a worthless cow.

For the simple reason this was a big guy and not some small asian guy living in LA.

In LA, the heckler would've run for his life. The person who posted the description of the show and every single person around him are all spineless c***s for not handling the heckler like the swine that he is.

A 15 song set with 11 of those off his latest album...

Yes, this is what the initial American tour should've been like. Morrissey would've been best served debating the new album in its entirety in 5-6 initial markets (LA, Chicago, NY, etc.). That's World Peace straight through to Oboe Concerto--and let the bootleggers record it. Fan appreciation would've been far higher than the negative reactions to the first four "singles" and Harvest, who clearly reads this site, probably would've done their job instead of treading here for guidance.

""At some point during the show somebody shouted:"I love you!" and Moz quipped:"And are you seeing a psychiatrist?" "

I think Moz answered back: I love you ... seeing a psychiatrist.

It was a great show (despite the short playlist and I agree that the band members seemed not like to enjoy playing), but again: it was a good performance by Morrissey.

No, they enjoyed playing - they looked very focused. Boz did his little performances and had fun. He didn't laugh all the time, but then does he have to in order to have fun? Jesse did a whole range of variations to the "traditional" score, also stole his part of the limelight and did it with gusto and bravoure. He might not be Morrissey's most versatile and creative writing partner, but he's very solid when it comes to a live set. Band and Morrissey were very much on top of their game tonight - live versions of Mountjoy and Smiler with knife were good, yet probably not in their final form yet. During Scandinavia the band also skipped a verse, and Morrissey went on raising only his eyebrows a bit ;-)

The short setlist is completely and uniquely the blame of that shameless moron who dared to ask Morrissey to shut up and start a song. Twat!

I think Moz did the right thing - challenge the twat. He did not overreact and stormed off after 6 songs. Gig was short, but 15 songs IS a gig. Sure he is a very sensitive artist, but this time it was also professional to continue playing.

He has done things differently in the past - remember in Cambridge (UK) a few years ago someone heckled him while he was talking to Julia? He challenged the heckler and then he had the lights turned up and the heckler was ejected. I was there - it was a fantastic moment.

Get ready for a 6 song set in London, after Moz walks following Benny the Butcher shouting out how much he loves meat. :(
Let's hope he does it before the second song so everyone get's their money back. I wonder if Morrissey likes his chicken from Nando's with peri peri or with Lemon herb sauce.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom