Petition for Morrissey to be given the Freedom of Manchester

Re: Petition for Morrissey to be given the Freedom of Manchester.

Why? He ran away when he got the chance to London, then Cheshire, then Ireland and then LA. He uses the name when he wants to exude that working class boy come good aura but otherwise his heart lies elsewhere.

I'd sooner give it to Jesse Tobias.

I'd sign a petition for Johnny to get it in a heartbeat. At least he stuck around (alright, in Bowdon, but even so...)

This is about Morrissey's contribution to pop culture and to Manchester regardless of where his heart led him later. The fact is that Morrissey and Manchester are co-related, culturally, musically, etc.

I'd sign a petition for Johnny to get it in a heartbeat. At least he stuck around (alright, in Bowjdon, but even so...)

So you can only be a good manc if you stay in Manchester. My, what a tiny tiny world you live in

So you can only be a good manc if you stay in Manchester. My, what a tiny tiny world you live in

Well, I don't think Morrissey gives a rat's arse about Manchester one way or another so no, I wouldn't say he was a huge ambassador for the place really. He was born there through chance and has spent most of his life writing and speaking about how much of a bleak, poverty-ridden hole it was and how he fled to London at the first opportunity. He definitely thinks Manchester should honour him, though. I don't have a tremendous antipathy to the idea - I'm just not sure that I buy into all that "local boy done good" stuff, it seems smarmy and "showbiz" in much the same way as the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
Tags
freedom keys manchester morrissey petition
Back
Top Bottom