Warsaw - Stodola (Nov. 19, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / Speedway / Suedehead / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Staircase At The University

set list provided by an anonymous person.

• Morrissey storms off stage in Poland after just 25 minutes when fan hurls 'extremely offensive and chauvinistic' abuse at him - Daily Mail. Link posted by an anonymous person.

Excerpt:

According to event organiser Live Nation, the incident happened because one member of the audience hurled ‘extremely offensive and chauvinistic’ abuse at the artist.

Although it has not been confirmed, it has been claimed the remarks stem from Morrissey’s recent cancer diagnosis.

Live Nation Polska Facebook post, excerpt translated:

PRESS RELEASE (19.11.2014)

During today’s Morrissey concert at Stodola Club in Warsaw one of the members of the audience standing close to the stage directed extremely offensive and chauvinistic words to the Artiste. This forced the Artiste to leave the stage.

We welcome anyone present at tonight’s Warsaw show, the offer of free admission to the concert in Cracow, that will take place at Laznia Nowa on November 21, 2014.
  • MORRISSEY - Stodoła, Warszawa, 19/11/14 (foto: P. Tarasewicz) (59 total) - cgp.pl. Link posted by docinwestchester.

warsaw.jpg
  • Five pound voucher offered by Live Nation for six song Warsaw concert; Facebook group created for full refund - Dec. 10, 2014

Last edited:
You know, that may well be a part of the problem (that old hearing aid might just come in handy).

It's a common enough malady with musicians (especially older ones). For years he's been cupping his ear and turning his head to hear people (you can see it in his later TV interviews). "Old Trafford" "Old Fatso" "Old f*****," He probably has a tough time telling the difference when comments are coming from the crowd.

Yes, storming off because one's feelings are hurt is inexcusable, but sometimes he manages to soldier through (I've seen Morrissey deal with far worse abuse and go on with the show). One guy in the Philly area is obsessed: always shouts out vicious obscenities - Morrissey carries serenely on.

Bottom line: Morrissey is sensitive, unpredictable, volatile, unprofessional (and probably somewhat hearing-impaired). A recipe for cancellations and terrible disappointment. Still, on a great night he's the best there is. Unfortunately, you buy your ticket and you take your chances.

CG was really onto something with the hearing loss. Now I need to watch interviews to see if he struggles to hear.

Well said! +1

When Morrissey sings or speaks, I want to hear him, I don't want to have to listen to some twat interrupting him and ultimately ruining the whole show.

I'm f***ed off with people coming on here, endlessly slatng Morrissey, when they weren't there, have no clue what was or wasn't said, and labels anyone who isn't sticking the knife in as a sycophant.

Watch for a true-to-you posting about how "the cancer" made him do it.

Hey Moz: Time to stop trying to have conversations with the audience at your shows.

Not to excuse his sad behavior, but it takes someone extraordinarily sensitive to give the kind of "performances" Morrissey does: he reaches deep in there and exposes a lot of unpleasantness (and vulnerability). That's why no one else can sing "Asleep" or "I Know it's Over" quite so effectively - that's why he's the best at what he does. The flip side is that (on a good night) he's a public open wound (tough work if you can get it).

I like my artists raw. On a crap night Morrissey is going through the motions, on a good night he's almost in tears (or appears to be so). That kind of intensity comes with a very high price.

Yes. Thank you.

Watch for a true-to-you posting about how "the cancer" made him do it.

Hey Moz: Time to stop trying to have conversations with the audience at your shows.

I like when he speaks to the audience. At the shows I've been to he's been chatty. I would rather see an artist interact with the audience instead of being a robot on a stage churning out songs.

I was so excited to see the Brian Jonestown Massacre a few years ago. I made it to the rails of the club, and the band completely ignored the audience the entire show and acted like a bunch of self-important assholes. Really?

Well said! +1

meh its an up in the air thing. i dont think it fair to have so many firm expectations. were in a business deal. if he wants to ruin his rep with a bad deal then i wont do business in the future and thats my choice and his but to think that there should or shoudnt be some sort of behavior enacted is weird. if i buy a ticket i expect a show and if they dont deliver i dont go back. in truth i do but i dont complain as i know the terms of the deal. i understand that people are angry and venting but i have no real expectations of morrissey. also i think im trying to echo what said here

"Not to excuse his sad behavior, but it takes someone extraordinarily sensitive to give the kind of "performances" Morrissey does: he reaches deep in there and exposes a lot of unpleasantness (and vulnerability). That's why no one else can sing "Asleep" or "I Know it's Over" quite so effectively - that's why he's the best at what he does. The flip side is that (on a good night) he's a public open wound (tough work if you can get it).

I like my artists raw. On a crap night Morrissey is going through the motions, on a good night he's almost in tears (or appears to be so). That kind of intensity comes with a very high price."

this is how i expect morrisssey and how i want him

I hear you, and I agree. I used to travel long distances to see Morrissey, but I always knew that I might be in for a bitter disappointment, so I made sure I had other things to do. Morrissey was often an excuse for a short holiday. He's certainly not worth traveling for if you have nothing else to gain from the trip.

Not to excuse his sad behavior, but it takes someone extraordinarily sensitive to give the kind of "performances" Morrissey does: he reaches deep in there and exposes a lot of unpleasantness (and vulnerability). That's why no one else can sing "Asleep" or "I Know it's Over" quite so effectively - that's why he's the best at what he does. The flip side is that (on a good night) he's a public open wound (tough work if you can get it).

I like my artists raw. On a crap night Morrissey is going through the motions, on a good night he's almost in tears (or appears to be so). That kind of intensity comes with a very high price.

I think he's ambivalent about his admirers: he knows he needs his audience, and he resents it. For animals he has unconditional love, for everyone else: we're on notice.

Truth be told, I have always been a fan of your posts, Anaesthesine, as they are consistently well-reasoned. Even if (and I do) agree with everything you wrote...still it would be nice if he could lift his head during these affected times to see the faces of the fans he disappoints by acting out as he does now with more regular frequency. Not just the walking off stage, but the cancelling of the balance of the US tour and the multitude of health related/designed cancellations.

Being on notice (as you so well put) may be acceptable for some, but is not a place I am comfortable living. I choose not to exist at this level for anyone. His arms-length relationship with his fans aside, his almost complete disregard for others suffering/disappointment does not sit well with me. You can't argue that he is an exceptionally talented person, but is it mutually exclusive that he can't be a decent human being?

Last edited:
Truth be told, I have always be a fan of your posts, Anaesthesine, as they are consistently well-reasoned. Even if (and I do) agree with everything you wrote...still it would be nice if he could lift his head during these affected times to see the faces of the fans he disappoints by acting out as he does now with more regular frequency. Not just the walking off stage, but the cancelling of the balance of the US tour and the multitude of health related/designed cancellations.

Being on notice (as you so well put) may be acceptable for some, but is not a place I am comfortable living. I choose not to exist at this level for anyone. His arms-length relationship with his fans aside, his almost complete disregard for others suffering/disappointment does not sit well with me. You can't argue that he is an exceptionally talented person, but is it mutually exclusive that he can't be a decent human being?

:clap:

I don't think he hates his fans. I do think that when he gets upset he turns in and shuts everything out.

Truth be told, I have always be a fan of your posts, Anaesthesine, as they are consistently well-reasoned. Even if (and I do) agree with everything you wrote...still it would be nice if he could lift his head during these affected times to see the faces of the fans he disappoints by acting out as he does now with more regular frequency. Not just the walking off stage, but the cancelling of the balance of the US tour and the multitude of health related/designed cancellations.

Thanks - you've been a good read too. :)

I can only answer with another example: I'm a huge John Lennon fan. His music reaches me for many of the same reasons that Morrissey's does: "pathological vulnerability," a certain swagger and acute sensitivity. John Lennon was (even by his closest friends' accounts) a fairly miserable person, with bouts of acute viciousness and assholery. Nonetheless, his voice (like Morrissey's) reaches me at the deepest level. I can't just turn off my profound reaction because the singers are prickly, difficult, volatile, at times aggressively unpleasant people who hurt those around them (including the great unwashed). I can't "choose not to exist" as a fan. All I can do is overlook the boorishness and insensitivity and enjoy the good stuff. Also, as a musician myself, I know that the best part of a singer/songwriter/musician goes into their music. I engage with them purely on that level until their misbehavior reaches levels that overwhelm the music. It hasn't happened yet, but it could.

It's an interesting point, this being "a decent human being" and being a great, soul-baring artist. Morrissey is not the worst of the lot when it comes to a pop star disappointing fans (the list is long). I cannot think of many singers, writers, painters or poets who have changed my life who have been anything less than messed-up, disappointed, unreliable malcontents (with the exception of John Keats, who appears to have been rather angelic). I only expect kindness and pleasantness from someone who makes kind, pleasant music. Morrissey advertises unpleasantness, and he delivers.

If you're fed-up with Morrissey, no one could blame you. I'll stop listening to his music (and following his questionable exploits) when his personality flaws overwhelm his art.

Most will find this nauseating, but here it is.

I love Morrissey, worts and all. I've never expected him to be perfect, and he's not. His music speaks to me at the most primal level, and has given me endless moments of joy. He is a person in my life, and there are very few, that I will never be able to repay for the what they have given to me.

I know in my heart that Morrissey would not find me, even in the least, interesting. It doesn't matter. Every moment given through his music, concerts, interviews, maybe a glimpse of him walking down the street, whatever, is something I'll take and cherish.

THIS. I was at the San Jose gig and incredibly pissed because one aggressive idiot ruined it for the rest of us, and understood why Moz left. If anyone is a true fan they wouldn't be obnoxious like that. Even if they are drunk - to me it doesn't justify that.

Sorry to all the legit fans that it got cut short. To those instigators, get a life.

I don't get the point of going to a concert and provoking the singer you went to hear ? I hope the guy was totally drunk to justify that kind of behaviour !

It's a Thursday night and he is in Warsaw, Poland just getting past the middle point of the "Downpayment Euro Tour" which he doesn't want to do, but has less strenuous travel than a USA tour so he can buy that house with Nancy in Beverly Hills. I think he would much rather be back home with Nancy in Malibu. I really still can't believe he hasn't cancelled or walked off more shows, but he wants to make Nancy happy.

"I heard an Englishman yelled out, "why don't you just go back to old trafford". which set him off and he left."[/B]

Why do you f***ing dirty Brits have to bring kickball into everything? A sport you invented but can't even win in. I just was told that "old trafford" is some field that one of the Manchester kickball team plays on. I was also just told you have played the USA twice in the kickball championships and the USA has beaten you and then tied you. How pathetic, that a country where 95% of the people have never even made the "kicking" motion with their leg has beaten you and tied you.

People still paying to see Morrissey live should know what they're in for at this point.

It's a common enough malady with musicians (especially older ones). For years he's been cupping his ear and turning his head to hear people (you can see it in his later TV interviews). "Old Trafford" "Old Fatso" "Old f*****," He probably has a tough time telling the difference when comments are coming from the crowd.

Just my point of view, having been in the crowd that night. Someone English in the audience yelled Çome back to Old Trafford'! which Morrissey took great offence to. I can only imagine he either thought they said 'Go back to Old Trafford', or ''Old f*****'' He said 'that was't very nice', then played Staircase with his back to the audience, then walked off.

It's an interesting point, this being "a decent human being" and being a great, soul-baring artist. Morrissey is not the worst of the lot when it comes to a pop star disappointing fans (the list is long). I cannot think of many singers, writers, painters or poets who have changed my life who have been anything less than messed-up, disappointed, unreliable malcontents (with the exception of John Keats, who appears to have been rather angelic). I only expect kindness and pleasantness from someone who makes kind, pleasant music. Morrissey advertises unpleasantness, and he delivers.

Not to beat this horse completely to death, but possibly comatose ;) Poets and writers...write...and...painters...paint, but this (to me) is quite different than the contractual obligation that a band/singer enters when they sell tickets to a concert/exhibition. What Morrissey did the other night is no different than a painter for which you purchased a ticket to his/her exhibition taking their art work down 10 minutes into the showing because they overheard someone saying they used too much blue in a painting. Really...someone criticizes your art or hurts your feelings and you pull stakes and run?

"Soul-baring artist"...OK, but when you decide to put your art out for the public to view and PAY FOR!! - sorry for raising my voice ;) - then there is an expectation upon the purchase of the ticket that you will receive what was paid for. It may be good, or it may be bad, but it is there none-the-less. I am at a loss to understand this any differently. I think the horse could take a few more whacks if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Thanks - you've been a good read too. :)

I can only answer with another example: I'm a huge John Lennon fan. His music reaches me for many of the same reasons that Morrissey's does: "pathological vulnerability," a certain swagger and acute sensitivity. John Lennon was (even by his closest friends' accounts) a fairly miserable person, with bouts of acute viciousness and assholery. Nonetheless, his voice (like Morrissey's) reaches me at the deepest level. I can't just turn off my profound reaction because the singers are prickly, difficult, volatile, at times aggressively unpleasant people who hurt those around them (including the great unwashed). I can't "choose not to exist" as a fan. All I can do is overlook the boorishness and insensitivity and enjoy the good stuff. Also, as a musician myself, I know that the best part of a singer/songwriter/musician goes into their music. I engage with them purely on that level until their misbehavior reaches levels that overwhelm the music. It hasn't happened yet, but it could.

If you're fed-up with Morrissey, no one could blame you. I'll stop listening to his music (and following his questionable exploits) when his personality flaws overwhelm his art.

It's the equivalent of giving an abusive person a free pass because they are a genius. Fans that condone and tolerate this type of treatment by their idol are enablers.

It's a Thursday night and he is in Warsaw, Poland just getting past the middle point of the "Downpayment Euro Tour" which he doesn't want to do, but has less strenuous travel than a USA tour so he can buy that house with Nancy in Beverly Hills. I think he would much rather be back home with Nancy in Malibu. I really still can't believe he hasn't cancelled or walked off more shows, but he wants to make Nancy happy.

"I heard an Englishman yelled out, "why don't you just go back to old trafford". which set him off and he left."[/B]

Why do you f***ing dirty Brits have to bring kickball into everything? A sport you invented but can't even win in. I just was told that "old trafford" is some field that one of the Manchester kickball team plays on. I was also just told you have played the USA twice in the kickball championships and the USA has beaten you and then tied you. How pathetic, that a country where 95% of the people have never even made the "kicking" motion with their leg has beaten you and tied you.

Am I the only one sick of this whole Nancy in Malibu fantasy?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom