Warsaw - Stodola (Nov. 19, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / Speedway / Suedehead / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Staircase At The University

set list provided by an anonymous person.

• Morrissey storms off stage in Poland after just 25 minutes when fan hurls 'extremely offensive and chauvinistic' abuse at him - Daily Mail. Link posted by an anonymous person.

Excerpt:

According to event organiser Live Nation, the incident happened because one member of the audience hurled ‘extremely offensive and chauvinistic’ abuse at the artist.

Although it has not been confirmed, it has been claimed the remarks stem from Morrissey’s recent cancer diagnosis.

Live Nation Polska Facebook post, excerpt translated:

PRESS RELEASE (19.11.2014)

During today’s Morrissey concert at Stodola Club in Warsaw one of the members of the audience standing close to the stage directed extremely offensive and chauvinistic words to the Artiste. This forced the Artiste to leave the stage.

We welcome anyone present at tonight’s Warsaw show, the offer of free admission to the concert in Cracow, that will take place at Laznia Nowa on November 21, 2014.
  • MORRISSEY - Stodoła, Warszawa, 19/11/14 (foto: P. Tarasewicz) (59 total) - cgp.pl. Link posted by docinwestchester.

warsaw.jpg
  • Five pound voucher offered by Live Nation for six song Warsaw concert; Facebook group created for full refund - Dec. 10, 2014

Last edited:
I have played this video over and over. At 9:04, I clearly hear, "YOU'RE GONNA (DIE?) IN OLD TRAFFORD!" That's when Morrissey says, "Well..." and then, "Is that funny?" I also hear people say, "WE MISS YOU IN TRAFFORD", but Morrissey's reaction - the crumbling facial and body expressions - began with the previous statement. He starts out Staircase facing the crowd and then eventually turns away.

I do not blame him one bit for walking off the stage. The voice sounded menacing and hateful. You can also see it in Boz's expression as well.

Morrisseys security then made it very unsafe for me and my friends (also from Manchester) as certain people (naming no names) were running around the venue quizzing anyone with a british accent. I have a thick Manchester accent and it was obvious that some people in the venue thought it was me that said "we miss you in Old Trafford". Tonight's show should be a blast and I'm getting ready to leave the hotel as I type, I just hope that there isn't another witchunt as it was very very uncomfortable.

I understand if you don't want to name names, but could you initial some initials? The events as you describe them - brilliantly, by the way - sounds a bit too close to Bradley Steyn's alleged experiences to ignore. Men in Morrissey's employ sent to sort out a miscreant? Steyn's lawyers might find that interesting.

-------------------------------------

I still can't fathom why "We miss you in Old Trafford" would offend anyone if that is the phrase he reacted to. Also, the claims by members of the band of a chauvinistic tone can't be true either, because that can only mean a homophobic reference, and, as we know, Morrissey isn't a gay. His boyfriend said so.

Is this about right:

So basically he himself can throw out insults left right and centre (Harvest records, Kate Middleton, Band Aid bla bla bla). But when he is on the receiving end of the stick he storms out and leaves his (paying) audience in the lurch?

The world of Morrissey hast started to feel very, very small as of late...

Is this about right:

So basically he himself can throw out insults left right and centre (Harvest records, Kate Middleton, Band Aid bla bla bla). But when he is on the receiving end of the stick he storms out and leaves his (paying) audience in the lurch?

The world of Morrissey hast started to feel very, very small as of late...

That's about the sum of things.

Just saw tweets from someone who ran into Morrissey ("feeding swans at the river") in Krakow and spoke to him for 10 minutes, so he is indeed there and has not, as some had predicted, gone missing…

https://twitter.com/Mozsupportrover/status/535796566796550144
https://twitter.com/Mozsupportrover/status/535819110807252992

That's near perfection. I mean, a dream for me is to sit with Morrissey "feeding swans at the river" and holding a lovely conversation! WOW! I love it! :)

Could someone please explain to an old American what the issue is with saying "Old Trafford" and why it is so offensive. Thank you.

Someone pointed out that the New York Dolls, Buzzcocks, Penetration and other of Morrissey's favourite bands took far worse than what was perceived, and carried on. The long and the short of it is this: if he can't fulfil or promise to fulfil dates, for whatever reason, after taking people's money, he should not be touring or doing any dates. Simple as that. Because otherwise, he, the crowd or both are going to be disappointed. If a mishearing of something, for that is what it is, causes him to walk off and let everyone down, then he shouldn't be performing live. I've heard suggestions of his fragile mental state, the perceived mishearing, ill-health.....they may all be reasons, but the top and bottom is that if he cannot promise to fulfil dates, for whatever reason, however true or personal it may be, he should not be touring.

One more thing - if there is a danger of a perception of hearing something offensive, what should be done? Give all ticket-holders, as a condition of their booking, a list of soundalike phrases, places, and other words that are not acceptable to be said? Of course not, so what's the alternative? Belt-up and carry on? Or stop touring?

P.

Oh what pious nonsense.

I could be a devoted fan to Hulk bloody Hogan; it doesn't mean I should pile drive any detractors.

Morrissey's personality produces the product which has pulled us here onto this beige looking website in the first place. I presume you have heard his work Mr Skinny? Yes, so let's go on.

So what if he is sensitive to comments which he perceives as offensive: "why do I give valuable time to people who. I'd much rather kick in the eye?". Evidently he has learned since the eighties.

The other concert goers? Sure, it sucks. But we know what he's like. Being a Morrissey fan takes into account there will be things he says or does which we don't agree.

There is something about this site which I deeply despise. As soon as something on tour goes wrong, the stalwarts on this site go into convulsions of unadulterated joy. What's wrong guys? Has Morrissey been rude to you? Not shown you enough love?

Come on, bring it down a level. Don't lose sight of what brought you here in the first place.

Oh what pious nonsense.

I could be a devoted fan to Hulk bloody Hogan; it doesn't mean I should pile drive any detractors.

Morrissey's personality produces the product which has pulled us here onto this beige looking website in the first place. I presume you have heard his work Mr Skinny? Yes, so let's go on.

So what if he is sensitive to comments which he perceives as offensive: "why do I give valuable time to people who. I'd much rather kick in the eye?". Evidently he has learned since the eighties.

The other concert goers? Sure, it sucks. But we know what he's like. Being a Morrissey fan takes into account there will be things he says or does which we don't agree.

There is something about this site which I deeply despise. As soon as something on tour goes wrong, the stalwarts on this site go into convulsions of unadulterated joy. What's wrong guys? Has Morrissey been rude to you? Not shown you enough love?

Come on, bring it down a level. Don't lose sight of what brought you here in the first place.

Way to completely miss the point, dolt. My point is that if he can't fulfil dates, why do them?

But don't let the complete failure to addresss that point of the post you're replying to cloud your red-mist pililng-in. If it gets it off your chest.

P.

Last edited:
Could someone please explain to an old American what the issue is with saying "Old Trafford" and why it is so offensive. Thank you.

you should never say old traffrord to anyone .only eastlands.

Why do you care?

Way to completely miss the point, dolt. My point is that if he can't fulfil dates, why do them?

But don't let the complete failure to addresss that point of the post you're replying to cloud your red-mist pililng-in. If it gets it off your chest.

P.

http://www.kelleydrye.com/publications/articles/1477/_res/id=Files/index=0/1477.pdf

This goes a long way towards answering your question. I'm someone who brought up the insurance question earlier. I can tell you that in the industry he is "grudgingly booked." He is usually good for tickets in smaller venues (and a few huge ones in America). This is nothing like first few tours though. That's fine and to be expected. You have to pay for him (40,000 or so for an 1800 seat venue) and last I heard he was asking for another 4-5k for his own catering/personal chef. You read that correctly. The bad news is the promotion of the show. As Morrissey isn't regularly played on the radio and written about on blogs constantly, you don't have built in and free advertising the way you would with a Coldplay or Arctic Monkeys. The promoter or venue has to pay for radio, tv or print ads. They had to turn away other acts that could have played (and not cancelled) on the same date. Whether their fault or not, the venue will be associated with negative press. These are just a few of the reasons Morrissey will have trouble finding a company to insure his tours.

Well, he is in the British papers for almost anything...So he still promos in his own way. I would suggest this act of walking, is a form of promo, get the people talking just before the O2 gig - he should never book such big venues in the UK he never sells them out

Lots of people feed birds... Not sure why it's suddenly priceless.

Because happening to run into Morrissey (that's the key part of the story here, not that a random man was feeding birds) as he's feeding swans is generally not a common occurrence for the vast majority of people. I mean it's been at LEAST a month since it's happened to me.

:rolleyes:

It isn't offensive at all. Not in any way, shape or form. It would be similar to a singer from Chicago known to be a Bears fan being told "We miss you at Soldier Field." Unless Soldier Field is a very strange North American euphemism of which I am not aware.

I support the "old f*****" interpretation, personally.

More disturbing, as mentioned in several great posts earlier, is the band's intimidating behaviour in their desire to track down a culprit, perhaps any culprit, and if it is true members of Morrissey staff subsequently went through the crowd trying to identify men with British accents that is f***ing outrageous. What were they going to do if they found him? I think we should be told. Calling Morrissey names might not be very nice, but it isn't illegal. In fact, the way he's going it might start to be seen as a public duty.

Morrissey is a wandering minstrel, nothing more. His Mafioso pretensions are despicable. No wonder he got punched. The impulse must be very strong at times.

Because it's sad that performers, and the paying public are being let down, and I don't like people being let down.

P.

Boo Hoo

So would you buy a ticket to a Smiths reformation?

I assume not because its the same thing right?

A few things:

1) How nice it must be to stumble upon Morrissey feeding swans, get a 10-minute conversation from him, and a bunch or signed merch. A lot of people simply walk on by, ignoring nature. Elder Moz feeding swans is probably as endearing as young Moz feeding ducks. There's a pic of the latter somewhere.

2) I watched the video, and someone says something in a mean tone, something about Old Trafford BEFORE others shout out, "We miss you (love you) in Old Trafford!" These shouts that followed seemed to have been some attempt at damage control.

3) For a woman to call a man a sissy proves that some women are the worst misogynists and anti-feminists out there. It isn't pro-woman/pro-man/pro-human for a woman to pretend she's the stereotype of a macho, tough, and ultra-logical man (kind of like the men Morrissey sings about in "I'm Not A Man." And no, I'm not the same Anon in that back and forth between female woman-hater and Anonymous).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom