Would Moz or The Smiths ever have "made it" if they started during our politically correct SJW era?

A

Anonymous

Misogyny/slut shaming -- Girlfriend in a Coma, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Miserable Lie, Suedehead (still, it was a good lay), Girl Least Likely To, Pregnant For The Last Time

Mocking the obese -- Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, You're The One For Me Fatty, "how can you stay with a fat girl who'd say.."

Mocking reform -- Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Mocking outsiders -- Bengali In Platforms, Asian Rut

Mocking the disabled -- Mute Witness, November Spawned A Monster

Mocking trans -- Vicar In A Tutu

Mocking gay men -- Hairdresser on Fire, Lucky Lisp

Pro violence -- Bigmouth Strikes Again (smash every tooth in your head, bludgeoned in your bed), Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (kick in the eye)

Joking about rape -- I Started Something I Couldn't Finish

Joking about stalking -- Is It Really So Strange?, Half A Person, The More You Ignore Me the Closer I Get

Joking about murder -- Death At One's Elbow, Margret On The Guillotine, The Last Of The Famous

How could he have the guts to write lyrics such as those if he was just starting out? Would it make a difference to the social justice warriors because he is gay and vegan? Would that cancel out any of their backlash?

Re: Would Moz or The Smiths ever have "made it" if they started during our politically correct SJW e

Wow, you and I must not be listening to the same songs. Mocking? I don't think that is what he is doing at all. I think he is shedding light. Making us think about these marginalized groups and subjects. I'd even say he does it with a bit of affection rather than with scorn. He wants us to laugh at them but also at ourselves and him as well. Because what he is saying is that people are the same everywhere. Nobody is above it. We are all silly and flawed and tragic.

Re: Would Moz or The Smiths ever have "made it" if they started during our politically correct SJW e

yeah there are just to many errors misconceptions for me to do all that but yeah youre wrong.

If mocking people of various ilks results in songs of the caliber of most listed, then I wish he would do some more mocking and judging.

Wow, you and I must not be listening to the same songs. Mocking? I don't think that is what he is doing at all. I think he is shedding light. Making us think about these marginalized groups and subjects. I'd even say he does it with a bit of affection rather than with scorn. He wants us to laugh at them but also at ourselves and him as well. Because what he is saying is that people are the same everywhere. Nobody is above it. We are all silly and flawed and tragic.

I think you are on to something here. I think he is talking about obsession, disfigurement, all the things that take place in life. He pulls from loneliness and perhaps alienation and sings about it in a way that gives the alienated, desperate and lonely a voice. Or something they can relate to. His sarcasim may lead one to think he is making fun, but he is shining a light on the ugliness and cruelty of life-perhaps giving the lonely, alienated and deformed a voice.

He wants us to laugh at them but also at ourselves and him as well. Because what he is saying is that people are the same everywhere. Nobody is above it. We are all silly and flawed and tragic.

And this is not mocking, how?

And lets say that there is a grey area, where you and I agree that Moz's barbs do no harm, but shed light on all of our follies...the Tumblr feminist crowd does NOT see it in those terms. EVERYTHING is black and white to them.

Can you imagine what it must like to be a stand-up comedian now? They have to pare everything down not to offend anyone. Everyone is offended by everything now, and everyone chimes in about whatever taboo has be breached, whether pro or con.

How could someone with such dark, witty, sarcastic lyrics that are vague enough to be open to a myriad of interpretations, have any sort of chance before they are shut down by "victims" with "triggers".

Back
Top Bottom