The 14 new unreleased Morrissey songs - what do we know about them?

Maurice E Maher

I think the existence of these songs might have only been mentioned once (in a recent interview) but does anyone know anything about them?
Are they demos or proper recordings? Were they produced by Joe Chiccarelli? If demos, they obviously won't have been produced at all.
Perhaps they were supposed to form the basis of the second album that Harvest had planned to release?
One can only guess they'll be similar in style to the current album, and hopefully Gustavo will have built on his encouraging start to the song-writing team.

Thanks Maurice. Let me be the very first to say I think it's bullshit. I don't believe Morrissey on this one. Yes, I am a borderline AYNIM / TTY sycophantic slag but I don't buy this for one second.

You don't believe he has a bunch of new songs written? I'd say it's been enough time since "Refusal" that he has more than what was released on "World Peace" accumulated. Maybe they're not all album-worthy, but I would at least think it's plausible that a handful of additional songs are at least completely written.

Thanks Maurice. Let me be the very first to say I think it's bullshit. I don't believe Morrissey on this one. Yes, I am a borderline AYNIM / TTY sycophantic slag but I don't buy this for one second.

No, I don't. But you're right about time...

You don't believe he has a bunch of new songs written? I'd say it's been enough time since "Refusal" that he has more than what was released on "World Peace" accumulated. Maybe they're not all album-worthy, but I would at least think it's plausible that a handful of additional songs are at least completely written.

Before we go further, a source would be nice. There have been lots of interviews and I'm wondering if Joe Chiccarelli said it, Moz said it, or both.

???

i didnt read the new greek one but maybe thats it. could be a mixed bag of demos of already released songs embryonic stages of new songs or live versions of both the aforementioned. maybe trying to make something at least off of the whole ordeal

Before we go further, a source would be nice. There have been lots of interviews and I'm wondering if Joe Chiccarelli said it, Moz said it, or both.

???

Well both Moz and Jesse have mentioned that there was at least two albums' worth of material written.
Joe C said something along the lines of having seen 26 titles, 18 of which became "World Peace" and its bonus tracks.

Well when he isn't touring or recording what else does he do? Writes. Or watched films in bed, which I would believe.

Here's the quote from Jesse (November 2013):
http://www.uncut.co.uk/morrissey/mo...-songs-ready-says-guitarist-jesse-tobias-news

Tobias explains that the singer, whose last full-length release was 2009’s Years Of Refusal, has a huge wealth of material ready to record and release.

“We’re long overdue for the studio,” he says. “There are two albums’ worth of songs ready.

“I’ve heard almost everything and feel it’s some of the strongest material to date. Musically diverse. Anthemic. Even in their infant stages the songs excite me.”

Here's the quote from Joe Chiccarelli (August 2014):
http://www.mixonline.com/news/profi...ramatic-world-peace-none-your-business/366545

Before heading to France, Chiccarelli had asked Morrissey to provide demos of the songs they’d be working on, but by the time they all arrived at La Fabrique, the producer understood that arrangements and lyrics would really come together in the studio.

“The funny thing is, I insisted on those demos, and he said, ‘Absolutely,’ and sent me 26 of them,” Chiccarelli recalls. “But there were no vocals. It was a surprise to me, but this is the way he always works. Sometimes the people he writes with put demos together, and then for the ones that inspire him, he’ll come up with melodies and lyrics to put on top. But you never ever know what that is until you go into the studio.

???

Here's the quote. From Mr SP Morrissey himself (October 2014) via a Google translation;
"As I understand it, Harvest has put my head on a pike, so ... no, I do not think we will ever be friends! Anyway, have you ever artists have been friends of record? Is that possible? I have 14 new songs that I like to record, but with the luck I have, I know that nothing will happen and I can not do. I'm lucky in many ways, but I'm cursed so many. I have to accept it."

Last edited:
thanks maurice i hadnt seen that before and am now getting more excited but who knows. i dont wanna be disappointed

Back
Top Bottom