The Smiths are one of the most miserable bands ever

he may sing and they may write about daunting subjects and subject matter but mozs seeming fearlessness in the face of everything certainly doesnt make there records feel depressing or miserable to me all. just the sound and soundtrack to the constant rhythm of struggle

Only by people who actually don't understand The Smiths or have listened to their other songs. They just hear Moz sing "Heaven Knows I'm miserable..." and think that it is a miserable song. It is a cry for help not a miserable song.

Last edited by a moderator:
An old friend of mine once said that people that take The Smiths as miserable music completely misunderstands it and the incredible humour in the lyrics. He was himself uplifted by the lyrics and it made him laugh. He felt that people who became miserable from listening to The Smiths had no idea what it is all about. Not sure if I agreed with him back then but I sure do now.

Other musicians that said the same thing was no other than those scottish twins in The Proclaimers who in an interview on tv said that few people get the humour of Morrissey and they often laughed at his wit and humour in the lyrics.

As most people (apart from journalists) seem to know, the title of that song was a pun on the song Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now. Morrissey's lyrics are frequently tongue-in-cheek if not outright hilarious. Lazy journalism = don't investigate for yourself, just repeat old stories.

I think the computer algorithm cannot address over-arcing musical impact. Still, an interesting keyword search analysis.

old-computer.jpg

We have put the works of Morrissey into our super computer and it determined he is a sad bastard

Attachments

• old-computer.jpg
    old-computer.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom