Florence - Obihall (Oct. 21, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / First Of The Gang To Die / Staircase At The University / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Speedway / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / How Soon Is Now? / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Kiss Me A Lot / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Meat Is Murder / The Bullfighter Dies / You Have Killed Me / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / I'm Not A Man // Asleep / Everyday Is Like Sunday

set list provided by Alejandro Kapacevic / Facebook via gonzax.

• Photos by Eleonora Birardi (30 total) / Flickr. Link posted by Chickpea.

florence2.jpg
  • Photo by aleberre / Instagram. Link posted by docinwestchester.

florence.jpg

Last edited:
I have traveled to a lot of places to see shows including going all around Ireland in 1999 and then seeing a ton of shows on the same tour in 2000. I saw a bunch of shows during the Maladjusted tour.

I've stood in the rain and snow to get front row.

I've traveled 5 hours each way to see a show and come home and go to work in the morning.

One thing I can say is doing this kind of stuff is a grind. It's hard. It's tiring. It's draining. I could never do a whole tour. The shows start to get boring. The experience becomes mundane. I do think that people who can sustain this type of travel tour after tour after tour are probably not as emotionally healthy as the average concert-goer.

I would say that was true of myself 15-20 years ago when my Moz-concert-going was probably excessive and it was in an attempt to fill some void. At the end of it all, that void never got filled by going to a ton of shows. Over time it started having no impact on me. Now I go to shows for fun. I went with friends to AC this year but it was cancelled. Tickets for Boston (which I live about 45 minutes from) were available.. I didn't go. Wasn't interested in a seated venue.

tl;dr I used to go to bunch of shows looking to fill some void. I think many people are doing that too. It ran it's course.

My threshold is about four shows, then it becomes all very predictable and I don't want to view Moz as predictable and going through the motions. Also I have heel spurs and standing in one spot for more than an hour takes a toll on my feet the next day, I could never do the queue/floor/barrier thing night after night, I wouldn't be able to stand the next day. AND I have a rather busy life. THe idea of using a tour as a vacation guide is a delightful idea, but only if it was a seated venue and not every show, so as not to get bored with it. Does that make sense?

I think perhaps the people who go to every show do it to bond with each other in a way, like weird gypsies. It's fun to have a clique I guess, not my thing though.

Here are the last two minutes of Staircase, filmed with my phone:

http://youtu.be/8BuiEXLiGho

I was very curious to see and hear Gustavo's skill in the solo guitar at the end. Bravo Gustavo!

On the other side I feel quite tired of going to Moz gigs and finding these pricks and their list! For those who don't know, there are the usual guys, one is Guillarme or whatever his name is, the other is "the skull girl" whose name I don't know, plus others, who arrive in the morning of the gig and start to compile a list of "aficionados", 20-30 people.

When one arrives at the gig, these people are not in front of the doors or queueing, they are just around, some are not even there and arrive later. When it's time to stand in front of the closed doors, one or two hours before the gig, these guys make a sort of wall not allowing anyone to enter before them. A kind of mafia.

I respect queues and people who go there first and very early, but I think these people should really queue like, for example, people who stand outside Apple Stores to wait for the release of a new iPhone. Get a chair, get whatever you want, but stay in front of the doors since the beginning! In Bologna there were people who went there early in the afternoon to be included in the "list" and then went home, just to come back at the very end and expecting to enter first.

And one more hilarious thing (this is really laughable!). When doors open in some venues, people must run even for some hundred metres to get to the stage, but the mafia-list-people expect that people behind them run slower than them because they deserve to be in the first row :-D

Last but not least, most of them during the gig just stand there without singing, like dummies. Last night I was watching them and thought: what's the point?

Maybe these guys just really need to get a life. Maybe the list and all the rest is just the peak of their days. Quite sad.

They have a life. They just don't jump around because they enjoy the singing and are not
18 years old any more - come on, they are not that bad, honestly !!!
Some thought Jed was a lot worse in his sharp suit....looking - and wishing - that
he was in charge.

Hazard
England.

Hazard
England

HSIN - in B&W, very good quality

Thanks for posting.

Note: Whenever someone says something to you, or posts some rubbish about the band being this or that, give them this
link and tell them to get both ears tested, immediately.

This is the best live sound that I've heard from any band in 40+ years, since Elvis.
Thank god for Boz Boorer and all of the band. I wont name them all but
this is an amazing performance. The singers doing ok, too !

Best,
Hazard
England.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did get a handshake, yes! :)
Another things he said, but don't remember the exact words: 'I've been around your lovely city today: so many cars that people can't walk, so many people that cars can't drive..just perfect!' (which I can absolutely confirm!)
Also...During the soundcheck they tried 'Smiler with knife' but it wasn't played in the show, maybe the lucky guys in Padova tonight will have that one too?
These are a few photos but the quality is very low...anyway:
View attachment 33187
View attachment 33188
View attachment 33190

Thank you for posting ALL of your comments. Glad you had a great night !

Hazard
England.

Thanks, Anon! I was confused. I spotted this list (see below) and recalled it was the second time I'd seen his name on one. Then again, it could be a different Guillaume (the one that I'm referring to is the adorable one who looks like Morrissey and takes great Instagram photos...but...again...all speculation and trying to figure things out via social media). So...are these "lists" that I'm seeing posted real things or is it some nut job who imagines himself/herself into Moz's life? I'm baffled even more now. Hahahaha!

View attachment 33197

Ah, its the perfect, imperfect, list.........

I would like to be on the list - and I would like to speak to Aubrey and Julia - but I cant
turn up for the next 2 years. I think Julia deserves a bit of credit for getting
to all of these concerts, worldwide. Its quite an achievement. Gulillarme and - previously -
WendyWoo.

Enjoy the list !

Hazard
England

The story of her walking to her rental car alone after a gig was sad to me.

At the end of the day, touring is his job. Yes, he likes to tour, but at the end of the tour he goes back to his life and doesn't give much thought to the Moz freaks(julia is an exception, as she runs tty). What will these people do when he retires?

I feel that he has more respect for people with their own lives, not the ones who follow him for months at a time.

Retires? Go back to the library (!)

Hazard
England

Let me step in here considering I know quite a few of the people referred to as "freaks" on this post. I simply won't mention names. It is actually not an assumption by the anon who wrote that comment. It is a fact that some actually don't have jobs and are in debt (and some doing quite weird things to get money) for the sole purpose of following Morrissey. It really is that all-emcompassing for some followers. They truly don't have anything else or much else going on in their lives.

It is sad and pathetic to live your life around ANY one thing, regardless of what that thing may be. Furthermore, the Morrissey "freaks" I know (and others, such as Julia) don't actually feel fulfilled. They actually FEEL quite sad, and lonely.

The "freaks" that are the first in line has gone back to 1992. But back then it was "friends" not "freaks". I was 19 then and went to 4 of the Aresnal shows. Including the Charlottesville show which was the craziest show I have seen. There were kids that were the first liners then and with all the tours I have seen up until 2006. I stopped going to Morrissey shows in 2007.
But as the years past they move on. It was much easier from 92 to 2006. Very fun and really good conversation with the usual's you see at each show from city to city.
2006 was the last time meeting in Que was fun and what it was meant for. The Cain's Ballroom show was a blast and so was the Aragon Ballroom in 2006. I have a ton of photos of the line if anyone was there...
Now it is a glamour show with some kids who heard "How Soon Is Now" and watched youtube videos and read about what a Morrissey show is about and begged Mommie for a few tour dates if they promise to go to school next semester. Meeting up for the shows in line used to be about the excitement and build up of that nights Morrissey show. Now it is glamour show of a bunch of trust fund babies holding up their cell phones wanting the singer of The Smiths to sing Smith songs.. See the above B&W HSIN video for example.. :)

Last edited:

This is great, Davide, thanks for sharing!!

Go, Gustavo, go... :guitar:

Yes, it's fantastic video and decent sound for once. Thanks Davide

All of the band are fantastic but the WPINOYB tracks are also the best in a long time.

Hazard
England.

Lol! This has been going on forever though! I can't remember when the "list" started, but it was somewhere in America I think? Possibly during the 2002 tour, because I can definitely remember it being around on the 2004 Quarry tour. Its stared out with the right intention, but basically it turned into a mess quite quickly, of course. I've seen it work quite well before, and I have also seeing it abused and misused as well. I think that if you are going to be on the list, you do need to in fact queue, or at least be at the venue all day. I don't think that you have to sit there in a seat the entire day and not move, as that is ridiculous. You need to eat, use the bathroom, etc. I don't even have a problem with the people that are there most of the time, but may have to leave for an hour to check into their hotels/shower, etc. This is fine if you are someone that follows the entire tour because obviously when you are moving around from city to city, you often can't get into a hotel room until about 3pm. If you are someone that happens to attend most every show (there have been lots of these people over the years), then I think that you get a pass if you have to leave for an hour to go to check into a room, leave your bags, etc. People should respect that. It's those that don't need to do that, and take the piss out of everyone else in the queue, that leave after putting their names down to go f*** around/drink for three or four hours, etc. I remember that American girl Mel (RIP), being one of the first list-nazi's back in the day, and there have been quite a few since. Jumping the queue on the other hand, is not okay, and that includes those who put their names on a list and leave for most of the day, because they are also "queue-jumping." To be honest, what I have more of a problem with is the number of people that are being "walked in" early before a show. I know that these people are on some type of guest list that I am certain Morrissey has approved, but it is getting ridiculous now (if it is still going on the way it has been?). It used to be only Julia, which whatever, fine... But it seems like now there is always like 7 or 8 people at every single show. I know that most of these people attend almost every single show and whatnot, but I remember plenty of people who did the exact same 12-14 years ago, and didn't get any of these special privileges? What's changed?

Q- What's Changed:

A = O R G A N I Z A T I O N
Sorry Anonymous but you asked !

It's really shocking to know people participated NME survey wanted to listen Smiths songs than latest solo work.

In their minds Morrissey is a nostalgia act, not a profound solo artist. :(

Kewpie,

Please do not read too much into a "survey" that hich has not actually published how many independant people it actually surveyed, as well as over what period
of time it took place in, what gender were surveyed and what locations it was surveyed in. Also, whether they did it via MORI or another "reputable" surveying company. It is totally possible - and likely - that they actually interviewed people next to there own building.......

Hazard
England.

Trouble Loves Me (mistitled):

He's a woman here. This is really great footage of his girl shift. Morrissey is literally a woman in a man's body singing TLM. The fact they mis-titled it I'm Not a Man is either wildly ironic, or they know too.

He's also tipsy on Vodka. :D

I don't know about radio stations in the States, but in the UK "Istanbul" and "Kiss Me A Lot" got good air play.
Because of his stubborness "Kiss Me A Lot" missed a good opportunity to be released as a single.
It could have been a hit at least in the UK.

I know my focus is limited, living in the US, and not really having any idea of what is going on in the rest of the world with his music. I completely agree about the issue of his stubbornness being a factor in his popularity. The most perplexing thing about him (to me) is how he can put so much weight on chart position, and yet put so little effort into promoting himself and his music. You see him nowhere but the stage, and he would have us believe it is because no one has "invited" him to appear. Please....and in the US repeated, cancelled, un-made-up concert dates does nothing to bolster his image.

Now, again, this is from my perspective, but to take a song like Trouble Loves Me, the pinnacle of his lyrical prowess matched against the songs on his newest release leaves me wanting, and I am sure (not everyone) but many others feel the same. He has turned away from songs relating to the ageless introspection of life to more political one note diatribes better left to the editorial section of the newspaper. 'Steps off soap box' ;)

I know my focus is limited, living in the US, and not really having any idea of what is going on in the rest of the world with his music. I completely agree about the issue of his stubbornness being a factor in his popularity. The most perplexing thing about him (to me) is how he can put so much weight on chart position, and yet put so little effort into promoting himself and his music. You see him nowhere but the stage, and he would have us believe it is because no one has "invited" him to appear. Please....and in the US repeated, cancelled, un-made-up concert dates does nothing to bolster his image.

Now, again, this is from my perspective, but to take a song like Trouble Loves Me, the pinnacle of his lyrical prowess matched against the songs on his newest release leaves me wanting, and I am sure (not everyone) but many others feel the same. He has turned away from songs relating to the ageless introspection of life to more political one note diatribes better left to the editorial section of the newspaper. 'Steps off soap box' ;)

That's how people grow up. It happens to the best of us. We evolve from brooding, narcissistic teenagers to empathetic, globally aware adults. I think his lyrics demonstrate he is doing less of that narcissistic navel gazing these days. He is now looking outside himself for inspiration. Shows that he has grown and changed. Not a bad thing, imo.

On the topic of the "people at the front": my good friend and I went to a series of shows from 2004 - 2011 (including but not limited to his most recent show in Chicago, the Auditorium Theatre in December 2011, the end point of 'Autobiography'). In most cases, we were never closer to the equivalent of 4-5 "rows" back in an SRO crowd. However, for his show at the Eagle Theatre in Milwaukee, October 2004, we happened to get a spot right at the barrier (stage right, because she was a big fan of and one-time correspondent with Boz). I had been made familiar with Julia Riley and the other "irregular regulars" both through the 2002 tour (of which I had a boot of nearly every show) and the other two shows we saw on the YATQ tour. So I was well aware that she was at practically every show - and there were others with a similar level of commitment. (Or need to be committed, depending on your viewpoint.)

At the Eagle, we took our places at the barrier right after the doors open. Not 15 minutes later (and probably a 1/2 hour before Damien Dempsey started), a woman approached and asked if we wouldn't mind "stepping over" so "Julia could get down front and center where Morrissey can see her." We were somewhat taken aback: (1) it was a standing room crowd - traditionally, first come first served; (2) Julia had someone ask for her (Morrissey-ish, in retrospect). My friend quickly replied, levelly and not unreasonably: "Well, there are already other people to our left so we can't really shift unless you ask them. Besides, this is the only time we've been at the barrier and Julia sees Morrissey almost every night. I'm sure he'll find her."

The woman stared daggers at my friend, didn't say a word. She moved down the line to the next people and asked them the same thing, same wording. One of the couple was a short young woman - if she wasn't at the front, the only chance she would have to see much of anything would be in a balcony seat. Her male companion pointed this out - again, perfectly reasonably. The woman huffed, said "thanks...A LOT" sharply and walked away towards stage center.

My friend and I were taken aback. On the one hand, yes, some of these people spare no expense and time to follow Morrissey on tour. But this shouldn't be an automatic pass to always have the same spots up front. I believe there are passionate fans at EVERY show, ANYWHERE, who may have only one chance to see him and they should be accorded the chance if they get the ticket and spend the time waiting in line queuing up early. For my part, I'm glad we held our ground as we both got to shake Morrissey's hand during "Everyday Is Like Sunday." We also got Gary Day's autograph out by the bus after the show. A great night.

It baffles me how a fan who can only afford to see him once or twice on a tour can wait in line for hours to get to the barrier, and they are expected to move for Julia, who sees him every night.

Is he that insecure that he needs a familiar face in front of him every night and when he's on television? What is he, a toddler singing in a school recital that needs his parents up front? The man should act like a professional.

On the topic of the "people at the front": my good friend and I went to a series of shows from 2004 - 2011 (including but not limited to his most recent show in Chicago, the Auditorium Theatre in December 2011, the end point of 'Autobiography'). In most cases, we were never closer to the equivalent of 4-5 "rows" back in an SRO crowd. However, for his show at the Eagle Theatre in Milwaukee, October 2004, we happened to get a spot right at the barrier (stage right, because she was a big fan of and one-time correspondent with Boz). I had been made familiar with Julia Riley and the other "irregular regulars" both through the 2002 tour (of which I had a boot of nearly every show) and the other two shows we saw on the YATQ tour. So I was well aware that she was at practically every show - and there were others with a similar level of commitment. (Or need to be committed, depending on your viewpoint.)

At the Eagle, we took our places at the barrier right after the doors open. Not 15 minutes later (and probably a 1/2 hour before Damien Dempsey started), a woman approached and asked if we wouldn't mind "stepping over" so "Julia could get down front and center where Morrissey can see her." We were somewhat taken aback: (1) it was a standing room crowd - traditionally, first come first served; (2) Julia had someone ask for her (Morrissey-ish, in retrospect). My friend quickly replied, levelly and not unreasonably: "Well, there are already other people to our left so we can't really shift unless you ask them. Besides, this is the only time we've been at the barrier and Julia sees Morrissey almost every night. I'm sure he'll find her."

The woman stared daggers at my friend, didn't say a word. She moved down the line to the next people and asked them the same thing, same wording. One of the couple was a short young woman - if she wasn't at the front, the only chance she would have to see much of anything would be in a balcony seat. Her male companion pointed this out - again, perfectly reasonably. The woman huffed, said "thanks...A LOT" sharply and walked away towards stage center.

My friend and I were taken aback. On the one hand, yes, some of these people spare no expense and time to follow Morrissey on tour. But this shouldn't be an automatic pass to always have the same spots up front. I believe there are passionate fans at EVERY show, ANYWHERE, who may have only one chance to see him and they should be accorded the chance if they get the ticket and spend the time waiting in line queuing up early. For my part, I'm glad we held our ground as we both got to shake Morrissey's hand during "Everyday Is Like Sunday." We also got Gary Day's autograph out by the bus after the show. A great night.

Thanks for sharing this.

I've brought this point up in the past and it was met with "Oh you're just jealous of Julia." No, not really. I'm frustrated that when he comes to my town I have to move over for someone who saw him twelve consecutive nights in a row leading up to what I savor and anticipate for months. At one show I drove very far to see a regular confronted me for not sleeping over night in line (after driving all day to get there) and that my "level of commitment to Morrissey is lacking." Orly? I get sooooooooo frustrated at that. It makes me not care for the fans even though I know it's the 1% of his fans that say those things. I have no beef with Julia because she does her thing and it's very specific and I appreciate that, but the topic of "hoarding" Morrissey does frustrate me.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom