Florence - Obihall (Oct. 21, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / First Of The Gang To Die / Staircase At The University / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Speedway / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / How Soon Is Now? / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Kiss Me A Lot / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Meat Is Murder / The Bullfighter Dies / You Have Killed Me / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / I'm Not A Man // Asleep / Everyday Is Like Sunday

set list provided by Alejandro Kapacevic / Facebook via gonzax.

• Photos by Eleonora Birardi (30 total) / Flickr. Link posted by Chickpea.

florence2.jpg
  • Photo by aleberre / Instagram. Link posted by docinwestchester.

florence.jpg

Last edited:
I think that's a judgement that gets passed on people without really knowing what their economic situations actually are, or what the rest of their lives consist of. You're making assumptions about people based on knowing a single thing about them—that they attend a lot of Morrissey concerts. That's not as all-encompassing you seem to believe it is. (And personally, I'd rather go into debt going to Morrissey concerts than buying electronics or cars or houses with big mortgages or getting graduate degrees...but that's just me.)

Couldn't you just as easily say it's sad and pathetic to live your life around a job and a spouse? What isn't sad and pathetic? Who's to say where another person's fulfillment should come from? Rhetorical questions...

Well said. :thumb:

That's the "List" that the fans in the queue make in the order of who arrives first. That's not Morrissey's personal guest list.

His personal guest list

Julian Chavez
Steven Tait
Chris Wilde
Paul Rhodes
Julia Riley

It's really shocking to know people participated NME survey wanted to listen Smiths songs than latest solo work.

In their minds Morrissey is a nostalgia act, not a profound solo artist. :(

I'm not sure why this is so hard to believe. I am sure there are a number of people out there who pretty much stopped liking his solo output after YATQ. In my mind, he is like a collapsing universe. As has been stated many times, his new music gets almost zero air play. Sales limited to those die hard fans who buy everything with his name on it (and a second one for their collection) claiming each album to be better than the last. No one I speak to of a younger age knows who he is. His circle of fans consist of the "die-hards", those who still stick it out hoping for something better (me), and those introduced to him by existing fans (spouses, kids, etc.). This fan "pool" is only bound to continue to shrink given his age, and lack of desire to make popular music. My question would be, "What is it that doesn't make him a nostalgia act at this point?"

Last edited:
Moz has a "front row" list. Like...an actual list. Or...at least I've seen them prior to each show. Guillaume is usually on it. I noticed him in an Instagram photo yesterday, too...right at the front...because, I thought for a second, it was Morrissey sitting there. I think Morrissey puts them first. Fred and I chatted about it last night, actually, too...or was it this morning? We can't sort it all out. I thought he'd want average Joe-Schmoes to be up there at each show to have that experience...not the same (I'm assuming here) wealthy fans who follow him all over.

I dunno. I'm new to Morrissey (2005...because I was living in a cave). Maybe you guys can help me understand it better. Please? :)

Cheers Eurydice. Don't think there's much to understand really. Moz loves those that worship him like a God. He's narcississtic. Put yourself in his shoes,would you not then want the "freaks" in the front? There is an actual list and they are who are on it not because Moz cares about them really but because they make him feel better about himself and his life. The freaks are not rich, they are just so obsessed with their god that most will go into debt to follow entire tours. Their bloody existence revolves mainly on being "the Moz freaks", as though that's something to be proud of. Keep in mind Moz has suffered (still suffers?) from depression and wanted to die most (if not all?) of his life. Misery loves company. The bloke is feeding on the weak, all for self-preservation.

yeah weird as hell. If I was Morrissey I certainly would not want the same faces up front every night of the tour, how boring and weird. But I guess he does not like change, that would explain the fact that the set list with the exception of the new songs has pretty much rotated around the same bloody ten to fifteen songs with one or two changes since like 2011.

I will def try and make one or two shows this tour but who the hell would really want to go night after night after night to hear the same songs played in a different order. And let's face it, Morrissey shows no longer have that edge of excitement and hysteria that they had in the 90's or even ten years ago and the set lists are hardly blow the roof off stuff.

Certainly not jealous of the precious few who are on the special "list". They are not part of Morrissey's inner circle and never will be Oh it is all rather sad.

Who knew that Gustavo is a better guitarist than Jesse?

Then again, after years of putting up with craptastic Jesse Tobias, it makes perfect sense.

Most guitarists are better than Tobias.

I think I have listened to the record 4 times and nothing. It is a big bore. Nothing has grown on me. No medoly, no good chord structure at all, and no pop songs.
My least favorite since Quarry.. I think he should of retired right after the Quarry tour.. IMO

Everything after Quarry has Sucked.

Why should "World Peace" be any different?

I'm not sure why this is so hard to believe. I am sure there are a number of people out there who pretty much stopped liking his solo output after YATQ. In my mind, he is like a collapsing universe. As has been stated many times, his new music gets almost zero air play. Sales limited to those die hard fans who buy everything with his name on it (and a second one for their collection) claiming each album to be better than the last. No one I speak to of a younger age knows who he is. His circle of fans consist of the "die-hards", those who still stick it out hoping for something better (me), and those introduced to him by existing fans (spouses, kids, etc.). This fan "pool" is only bound to continue to shrink given his age, and lack of desire to make popular music. My question would be, "What is it that doesn't make him a nostalgia act at this point?"

I don't know about radio stations in the States, but in the UK "Istanbul" and "Kiss Me A Lot" got good air play.
Because of his stubborness "Kiss Me A Lot" missed a good opportunity to be released as a single.
It could have been a hit at least in the UK.

Awesome! Did you wait in line to get so close? Why aren't you going to tonight's gig? Isn't it sorta close?

Florence is not far from my town, just one hour, I had a day off and could menage things easily to arrive at the venue quite early in the afternoon, so -this time- I was on the famous/infamous list..or Guillaume's list if you prefer (Guillaume is a nice guy btw). Tonight's gig is in Padova, pretty far from where I live. I wish I could have done Bologna or Rome too but tickets are expensive, travelling is expensive, I have a lot of work in this period and most of all I have children and a messy life, but yesterday night was just perfect so I won't complain!

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the "list". I know that when I have arrived early to line up, I get to the front. The only exception was in Pomona CA because, although I arrived six hours before the doors opened, the line was already wrapped around the block, and when the doors opened, there was utter chaos. It was the one time that I was happy just to hang back and stay safe. So, it seems to be a fair assumption that admission is usually "first come, first served". Additionally, I've never had anyone in front of me act superior in anyway, as if they are entitled to better treatment. Everyone just seems happy to be there.

The only time that I was asked to sign up for a list was in Las Vegas because there was a problem with people arriving very late and trying to force their way to the front of the line, and many of the people in the front had been sleeping on the Cosmopolitan theatre lobby floor for two days. I actually had to body block some drunk girl at that show to keep her from pushing me out of the way. She got there just as Morrissey came on stage, kept screaming his name, and didn't even know the words to any of the songs, If you make the effort to line up hours in advance, its wrong for people to arrive at the last minute and slither their way to the front row; so in that case, the list seems appropriate.

If Morrissey does have a list of favorites, I don't think that it is necessarily unfair. These are people who have followed him for decades and have helped to create this frenzied fanbase that has become part of the Morrissey story. Nearly every news piece mentions the 'obsessive' fans, and that phenomenon has been a vital part of his career. I also think that it's a bit unfair to judge these people. Maybe their lives were sad and lonely before they discovered Morrissey, and he brightens it up for a bit. It's certainly better than shooting heroin. Aaaah Morrissey, you are the perfect drug, more fulfilling than a chocolate covered orgasm. If I had the money and the time, I would go to every concert, too.

lynnda

Interesting to see some new additions to the set list, but as ever, disappointing that the sets remain pitifully short. The band have clearly rehearsed 25 or so songs (and are familiar with many more), so why continue to play only 16-18 per night - especially when dross like 'Paris' and 'Bullfighter' are among them?. I've seen every tour at least once since '92 - i think I've probably been to my last show. The standard 16 songs / 1 or 2 song encore / flounce off after 70 minutes has always been tiresome. Increasingly it is both expensive and tiresome.

YAY! Full-length Staircase...up close!

Asleep:

WPINOYB:

First of the Gang to Die:

Last edited by a moderator:
Florence is not far from my town, just one hour, I had a day off and could menage things easily to arrive at the venue quite early in the afternoon, so -this time- I was on the famous/infamous list..or Guillaume's list if you prefer (Guillaume is a nice guy btw). Tonight's gig is in Padova, pretty far from where I live. I wish I could have done Bologna or Rome too but tickets are expensive, travelling is expensive, I have a lot of work in this period and most of all I have children and a messy life, but yesterday night was just perfect so I won't complain!

So glad you got to be so close. PM if you get the post-Moz blues. It's the WORST but it passes. :thumb:

So glad you got to be so close. PM if you get the post-Moz blues. It's the WORST but it passes. :thumb:

Yeah, it always happens...:o
Any Solomon fans here? I was in a good position for him too, pure coincidence :D I'm pretty sure we stared into each other for a while, but maybe he's just myopic?
20141021_224836.jpg

Last edited:
Listen, I can't speak about many of the newer, current Moz freaks/followers, whatever, but I did use to know plenty of the more 'old-school' fans (mostly American) that used to follow him around all over the world (some of which still do I think). Most of them were all actually very nice, decent people who I generally liked being around. I talking about people like Marilyn, Melinda, Fanny, Kimmie, Alex, Greg, Fanny, Todd, Mex, Russ, Anna, etc etc. Most all of these people had full time jobs, had a life outside of this, and were just lucky that they worked for themselves or were allowed to take huge leaves of absence/vacation from their work. Also when you are a bit younger and don't have a family necessarily, it's much easier to take off for a few months with your disposable income you have been saving up for a tour. Maybe a few of them were a bit strange or eccentric sometimes, but as far as being a Morrissey fan, who isn't? I don't think that you can lump everyone that does/has done this into one category saying that they have no lives, or are up to something shady. That's just not always true, and I'm speaking from experience with plenty of these people.

I have traveled to a lot of places to see shows including going all around Ireland in 1999 and then seeing a ton of shows on the same tour in 2000. I saw a bunch of shows during the Maladjusted tour.

I've stood in the rain and snow to get front row.

I've traveled 5 hours each way to see a show and come home and go to work in the morning.

One thing I can say is doing this kind of stuff is a grind. It's hard. It's tiring. It's draining. I could never do a whole tour. The shows start to get boring. The experience becomes mundane. I do think that people who can sustain this type of travel tour after tour after tour are probably not as emotionally healthy as the average concert-goer.

I would say that was true of myself 15-20 years ago when my Moz-concert-going was probably excessive and it was in an attempt to fill some void. At the end of it all, that void never got filled by going to a ton of shows. Over time it started having no impact on me. Now I go to shows for fun. I went with friends to AC this year but it was cancelled. Tickets for Boston (which I live about 45 minutes from) were available.. I didn't go. Wasn't interested in a seated venue.

tl;dr I used to go to bunch of shows looking to fill some void. I think many people are doing that too. It ran it's course.

I have traveled to a lot of places to see shows including going all around Ireland in 1999 and then seeing a ton of shows on the same tour in 2000. I saw a bunch of shows during the Maladjusted tour.

I've traveled 5 hours each way to see a show and come home and go to work in the morning.

One thing I can say is doing this kind of stuff is a grind. It's hard. It's tiring. It's draining. I could never do a whole tour. The shows start to get boring. The experience becomes mundane. I do think that people who can sustain this type of travel tour after tour after tour are probably not as emotionally healthy as the average concert-goer.

I would say that was true of myself 15-20 years ago when my Moz-concert-going was probably excessive and it was in an attempt to fill some void. At the end of it all, that void never got filled by going to a ton of shows. Over time it started having no impact on me. Now I go to shows for fun. I went with friends to AC this year but it was cancelled. Tickets for Boston (which I live about 45 minutes from) were available.. I didn't go. Wasn't interested in a seated venue.

tl;dr I used to go to bunch of shows looking to fill some void. I think many people are doing that too. It ran it's course.

I love Moz. A lot. But seeing every single date of a tour would get very old, very fast for me.

Sometimes I will travel to see an Irish comedian I love, and I'll go to a few shows every tour. But every show is different, the jokes change, he responds to the crowd.

Thanks for sharing this. :)

If we had the money (and the vacation days), there's no question my (childless) husband and I would be at every Morrissey show worldwide. It's not like he's on tour 365 days a year! Seems like a fun way to travel, IMO.

I don't care about being on a list or being at the front of a queue, I just love going to Morrissey concerts.

This was really where I was coming from with my post earlier.
There really isn't anything like a Morrissey show. I've "only" been to 25 shows from the Boxers tour. There have been plenty of shows close to home I could have got to, but didn't because of a sense of responsibility to partners past and present family. I am now kicking myself that I didn't given that there is only one UK date and it could all end tomorrow... I had a little taste of 'everynight' at the London Forum in 1999...the atmosphere was something else...perhaps a little less violent now. This seems like a great tour to follow and I hope and pray Moz can keep it going and with such gusto...

Back
Top Bottom