The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 274: KISS ME A LOT

How do you rate Kiss Me A Lot?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 40,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. In 2009/2010 we updated this chart with the 25 new songs that were released in 2008-2010. The final results of 2010, the 'Top 259', can be viewed here. Now, 4 years on, many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 25 new Morrissey-songs have been released.
So we'll start with the songs that were released in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and we'll end with the 18 songs from World Peace Is None of Your Business.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007 and 2010 and, once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song 274: Kiss Me A Lot (Morrissey/Jesse Tobias)

Bastille, mausoleum
stock-yard, church yard
your mammy's backyard
I don't care when or where
I just care that you're there
and that you
will kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
kiss me all over my face
kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
kiss me all over the place
kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
kiss me all over
and then when you've kissed me
kiss me all over again
Bastille, mausoleum
stock-yard, church yard
your mammy's backyard
I don't care when or where
I only care that the two of us are there
and that you
and that you
will kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
kiss me all over my face
kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
kiss me all over the place
kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
kiss me all over
and then when you've kissed me
kiss me all over again
kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
kiss me all over my face
kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
all over the place
kiss me a lot
kiss me a lot
I don't care where or when
but when you've kissed me
kiss me all over again.

Previous polls:
Part 273: Staircase at the University
Part 272: I'm Not a Man
Part 271: Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Part 270: The Bullfighter Dies
Part 269: Earth is the Loneliest Planet
Part 268: Istanbul
Part 267: World Peace is None of Your Business
Part 266: You Say You Don't Love Me
Part 265: Satellite of Love
Part 264: The Kid's a Looker
Part 263: Action is My Middle Name
Part 262: People Are The Same Everywhere
Part 261: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home
Part 260: Treat Me Like a Human Being
Polls 259-1

EACH TIME YOU VOTE, YOU SUPPORT THE PROCESS!

Last edited by a moderator:
10. Perfect pop song. Never ceases to make me smile. Love it.

An overly-generous 10 from me. I probably should've given it a 7 or 8, but dammit...it makes me super happy every time a hear it, so why not? TEN. 10!

Catchy as heck - I'm always humming it. Who would have thought that Morrissey would pen such a great, silly love song?

I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 only because the lyrics are (in the tradition of silly love songs), repetitive and (of course) silly. I do love the "Bastille, mausoleum" bit though: puts a nice, dark spin on it.

A solid 9 - nice love song

8. A fun, catchy pop song.

As with Instanbul, I know I'm in the distinct minority here, but this is one of my least favorite Morrissey songs ever. I'd probably think it was great if the Cure had sung it, but it just doesn't seem to fit in Morrissey's body of work. But I do understand why others like it.

i give it a seven. kinda love it as a single but when on album it kinda breaks my focus a bit.

This seems to be somewhat overrated. Whilst I like it a lot, I do think it's the second weakest song on the album (after the title track). It certainly has energy and is sung with gusto...and has an excellent opening line, but it has a very conventional structure and ultimately lacks substance. However, I do think it fits nicely between Bullfighter and Smiler. I give it a 7.

I agree with Eraserhead: while Morrissey's performance is fantastic, I think this song is a bit of a throwaway within 'World Peace...' Not bad by any means, but not aspirational. It gets a 6/10 from me.

It's ace. Catchy as.. It just works. Moz singing about kisses all over the face and when that's over, kiss him all over again. It's charming. Can't help but smile when it's on. And the production and instrumentation is on point too.

Back
Top Bottom