Johnny Marr as Burt Ward as Robin

Tingle3

Sooooo, Morrissey describes Johnny Marr in Autobiography as being like Burt Ward:

"But Johnny finds the right words: 'We're gonna get him' and he bangs a fist into an open palm like Burt Ward as Robin the Boy Wonder"

And now Morrissey puts Burt Ward (or is it Johnny?) on the kick drum.

Morrissey is Batman.

I find it all fascinating! :)

I have to get a ticket to see Morrissey somewhere, somehow.

Last edited:
It seemed obvious to me when I saw the Adam West/Burt Ward backdrop that it was meant to represent Morrissey/Marr!

It seemed obvious to me when I saw the Adam West/Burt Ward backdrop that it was meant to represent Morrissey/Marr!

I don't think that's right. At all.
After all, its a photograph of Burt Ward. Not a photograph of Johnny Marr.
This is getting - the "suggestion that there is a secret or hidden message on the drum photo" - as bad as the blue or the white rose debates...
That said, it must be entertaining. Why don't you get a close up and also ASK ?

God bless the boys on the factory floor,

Hazard
England

You know the real reason the Smiths split up was because Johnny refused to wear the Robin costume that Morrissey bought him, right? ;)

..... he didnt have to dress up as Cilla Black !

Hazard
England

I think people are just looking for something in everything. Sometimes things are just the way they are.

Morrissey likes the 60s Batman (who wouldn't, it's f***ing hilarious!) so he has knowledge of the mannerisms of its actors. One being, Burt Ward, who, as Robin used to come to realisations by banging his fist into an open palm. Which is what Johnny did at the trial, which reminded him of Ward's acting. There's nothing more to it than that .. no one "represents" anyone. That could be the one and only single event that Morrissey in his life has ever thought about Johnny as Robin.
Not everything has to have some underlying hidden midden.

I think people are just looking for something in everything.
Not everything has to have some underlying hidden midden.

Where's the fun in that!!? K-pow!! Sure, the use of Burt Ward on the kick drum may be co-incidence. Anyone else know why Morrissey chose a picture of Burt Ward? Was it because of his charitable animal rescue work (Gentle Giants), or his explicit autobiography? Maybe Burt's a friend?. Maybe Morrissey just liked the impage. Who knows? Morrissey does. *blam*

Back
Top Bottom