Morrissey / The Smiths books

fredkocherpepsi

Yesterday at a local bookshop in town I grabbed "Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance" for $5.95 from a clearance bin. I also finally got the paperback of "A Light That Never Goes Out". What's the consensus on these??

i got an first hard back edition of severed alliance and found it to be just alright. the other book he wrote in which he talks about every album and song is much much better and contains chapters in general on what he was doing at the time all of which was very neat to read about. that one got a lot of acclaim. ive never read a light that never goes out but do have the interview book, morrissey in conversation, which is as great as it sounds and morrissey scandal and passion by david bret which i found to be pretty good. the book st morrissey is to be avoided at all costs. even a penny is to much and you should ask for more when you return it for personal damages. but hey dont believe any of it unless morrissey wrote it himself and validated it to you in a personal skype. its impossible for it to tell you anything.

i always did find it funny that he denounced the book as false and then tried to hold it up and use it in court as evidence for his case against mike. the pic that rogan uses is hilarious on the albums book. bead to his crotch, bald and shirtless he tells of his quirky minimalist lifestyle. hes got like twenty music bios under his belt and the lennon and dylan ones were both great as well.

I find it strange how there has ever been anything written about Morrissey's personal life.

He's famous, he's had relationships and one night stands, yet nobody had ever come out with anything. He surely isn't on good terms with all past lovers. Even Kristy Macoll said she was surprised nothing had come out, as he had a history of treating ex lovers badly. Not one person (besides the girl online who saw him and Gabriel out in Rome hitting on young guys) has ever said "yeah, he dated my friend" or "I saw him holding hands with someone".

It's strange.

maybe hes just being honest when he says hes a homebody and dating way less than we might assume. he also might have some stuff on them as well you never know. the only thing i ever really heard about was the jake situation and he, jake, doesnt seem like he really wants the attention. maybe he has them confidentiality agreements or something like that. i dont think id be surprised if he did

I haven't read The Severed Alliance since it was first released, and since I remember cutting school to buy it, that must have been more than 20 years ago! (OK, just checked, 1992. Cripes.) I was very excited about it at the time, as it was really the first in-depth, extensive book about the Smiths, and Morrissey was the Great Unknown—I guess he still is, but not as much so. In those pre-internet days, I didn't question what I was reading, and it wasn't until I read the NME some time after about Morrissey wishing for Rogan to die in an M3 pile-up that I had any idea about whether it was entirely accurate. I suspect I'd see it through a very different lens now than I did when I was 17.

I haven't read The Severed Alliance since it was first released, and since I remember cutting school to buy it, that must have been more than 20 years ago! (OK, just checked, 1992. Cripes.) I was very excited about it at the time, as it was really the first in-depth, extensive book about the Smiths, and Morrissey was the Great Unknown—I guess he still is, but not as much so. In those pre-internet days, I didn't question what I was reading, and it wasn't until I read the NME some time after about Morrissey wishing for Rogan to die in an M3 pile-up that I had any idea about whether it was entirely accurate. I suspect I'd see it through a very different lens now than I did when I was 17.

His quote re: the pile up was why I felt so compelled to buy the book, especially on a clearance rack! This is the “20th Anniversary Edition” too. I wonder if that quote is addressed at all within. I’ll report back (eventually)

- - - Updated - - -

I also finally picked up the “Mozipedia” a couple months ago from Atomic Books in Baltimore. It’s a nice coffee table book, despite not having a coffee table.

If a person only could own 5 books on Morrissey, they would be:

1. Autobiography

2. Peepholism: Into the Art of Morrissey

3. Morrissey and Marr: The Severed Alliance - the Definitive Story of the Smiths

4. Songs That Saved Your Life

5. Morrissey Shot

There is no consensus aside from that reading the above (granted 2 are largely visual but that fact in itself is telling) will make you a more informed fan. Oh, and when Green Day make into the H.O.F. maybe you could read Saint Morrissey as punishment. :thumb:

maybe hes just being honest when he says hes a homebody and dating way less than we might assume. he also might have some stuff on them as well you never know. the only thing i ever really heard about was the jake situation and he, jake, doesnt seem like he really wants the attention. maybe he has them confidentiality agreements or something like that. i dont think id be surprised if he did

He probably has never been the type to sleep around like Jagger, but surely he hasn't made every drunken one night stand sign an agreement? It's odd nobody had come forward.

Until the autobiography he and Jake's relationship was still up for debate for some people, as there were never any stories of them being out together holding hands or anything.

im surprised no one likes the essential interviews as they were great. at least you got the better cover and color fred as my edition is the horrible old one. surprise, the guy from huntington beach doesnt like greenday though no fred, you should never read st morrissey. tell me how there is a light is though and maybe ill pick that one out in the near future. so b.g from h.b did you ever attend h.c high? that would be kinda cool to hear about as ive read so much about over the years.

I find it strange how there has ever been anything written about Morrissey's personal life.

He's famous, he's had relationships and one night stands, yet nobody had ever come out with anything. He surely isn't on good terms with all past lovers. Even Kristy Macoll said she was surprised nothing had come out, as he had a history of treating ex lovers badly. Not one person (besides the girl online who saw him and Gabriel out in Rome hitting on young guys) has ever said "yeah, he dated my friend" or "I saw him holding hands with someone".

It's strange.

Morrissey's had two girlfriends. The stories in the autobiography aren't true. You can stop fantasizing about him and jake.

Morrissey's had two girlfriends. The stories in the autobiography aren't true. You can stop fantasizing about him and jake.

Sounds like you are the one fantasizing. He made up a relationship with a man he was seen with constantly and that man went along with it? OK!

it true it would unusual and odd for anyone to do the sign a confidentiality agreement but hes weird about his privacy and for him id almost half believe it. i dont know much about the jake stuff except from one of the books which i think was an interview in which jake was there and the interviewer was talking about how they interacted or something like that from what i can recall offhand. what makes you think the stories in auto bio arent true and why do you think i want him to be or have been with jake? i know hes famous but he doesnt act like other famous people in many other ways so i could believe he doesnt go around hooking up etc. i bet he liked flirting more than sexual acts. i dont thin k he likes to touch people honestly. personally im more inclined to think he just doesnt do it as i do think someone would have said something by now if he does or had. people have never been shy about saying negative things about him in the past about other subjects

im surprised no one likes the essential interviews as they were great. at least you got the better cover and color fred as my edition is the horrible old one. surprise, the guy from huntington beach doesnt like greenday though no fred, you should never read st morrissey. tell me how there is a light is though and maybe ill pick that one out in the near future. so b.g from h.b did you ever attend h.c high? that would be kinda cool to hear about as ive read so much about over the years.

Green Day are from the East Bay in Northern California. Huntington Beach is in Orange County in Southern California where No Doubt are from. Ghoul is from Newport Beach, also in Orange County.

yeah i know all about 80s west coast hardcore. well really any h.c from 79 to 84. greenday are east bay afi dead kennedys (east bay ray) gilman rancid op ivy and h.b which is where he said he was from in another thread, when hes talking to crytal about the surf competition where she had to park at the library, is tsol flag blood stains etc. hes from orange county which is why i made the joke about him not liking greenday, which seems evident if unrelated from then old school h.c divides, which are east bay and northern, h.b hollywood and san far cisco. why are you telling me this though. east bay didnt like all the h.b jock punks and the h.c high was part of that scene which was the outgrowth and rival upstarts of the hollywood scene (the gay arty druggy one), the germs the dils etc. hell he was probably born way later and the gilman thing was way after 84 but i still thought it funny to make his reason for dislike based on the old h.c divide. really it was just a joke about him not liking greendayas they werent orange county which was the richer stupider jocky h.c kids came from.again he was probably was born way after all this and didnt doesnt care anyway even if he was around then

it true it would unusual and odd for anyone to do the sign a confidentiality agreement but hes weird about his privacy and for him id almost half believe it. i dont know much about the jake stuff except from one of the books which i think was an interview in which jake was there and the interviewer was talking about how they interacted or something like that from what i can recall offhand. what makes you think the stories in auto bio arent true and why do you think i want him to be or have been with jake? i know hes famous but he doesnt act like other famous people in many other ways so i could believe he doesnt go around hooking up etc. i bet he liked flirting more than sexual acts. i dont thin k he likes to touch people honestly. personally im more inclined to think he just doesnt do it as i do think someone would have said something by now if he does or had. people have never been shy about saying negative things about him in the past about other subjects

That's the whole point. You see him with a man and you assume that there's something between them. This book is not his real autobiography. These are all the misconceptions about him. He's not gay. The novel is not a novel.

That's the whole point. You see him with a man and you assume that there's something between them. This book is not his real autobiography. These are all the misconceptions about him. He's not gay. The novel is not a novel.

You bring all the lulz.

i found that to just be strange assumptive (ironically) and confusing. im much more inclined, especially if he is high functionally autistic, that he just doesnt do any of it and probably doesnt like people or to be touch a whole lot by anyone not very very close to him. either way i dont really care to much other than slight idle speculation and how it may color lyrics about romance and sex

For photos, my go to books are Morrissey Shot and The Smiths - The Early Years. Someday I will splurge on Peepholism.
Mozipedia obvious
Tidbits about the songs - Songs That Saved Your Live and Morrissey by Johnny Rogen
Also the NME, Uncut and Mojo collections are nice to have.
I donated the book Saint Morrissey to Goodwill as I found the book to do more with the author's life then Morrissey himself

Back
Top Bottom