Johnny Marr - "A lot of people are afraid" - Saturday interview in The Guardian, UK

Bizarrely fawning article that rewrites history and posits Johnny as some sort of indie Bob Dylan. The 'political conscience' of the Smiths was not of Johnny's making, and he's never asked any "awkward questions" as far as I can see. His complaints about being seen as a laddish "Manc-man" are laughable considering the years he wasted partying in warehouses with Madchester rejects and playing up the 'lad' persona as much as he possibly could. Oh Johnny, shut up and play.

yeah i remember comments like alf wank that kinda make the cocky lad persona stick in my mind. morrissey definitely was the political voice, at least the one vocal about the subject, in the smiths music and interviews. its kinda a shame because if he actually stuck with something i think he could come up with great music but he seems all over the place a lot. not a bad thing to search and struggle but i believe it hasnt helped him really with his music career. he needs more focus at times i think. still a cool guy and i like a lot of the interviews but hes been coasting now on his rep from the smiths for a long time. i did like the new stuff i heard more so than the messenger which i was indifferent to. i hope he sticks with the solo music because its improving and seems promising in a lot of ways. i always wanted him to be more like paul weller and to go in an artier direction instead of the fame he seemed to be looking for. the hired gun so to speak didnt actually suit him very well

I'm getting so bored of these political type interviews now, Don't they have any f***ing imagination apart from slagging off Cameron and the UKIP's. Can't they just talk about something interesting for once.

Bizarrely fawning article that rewrites history and posits Johnny as some sort of indie Bob Dylan. The 'political conscience' of the Smiths was not of Johnny's making, and he's never asked any "awkward questions" as far as I can see. His complaints about being seen as a laddish "Manc-man" are laughable considering the years he wasted partying in warehouses with Madchester rejects and playing up the 'lad' persona as much as he possibly could. Oh Johnny, shut up and play.

Amy: Telling it like it is since 2006.

I'm getting so bored of these political type interviews now, Don't they have any f***ing imagination apart from slagging off Cameron and the UKIP's. Can't they just talk about something interesting for once.

It's all very dull.

I think they feel they are required to bash out the same old, same old. You would hope people would realise anyone who gets their political worldview from a singer or a guitar player shouldn't really be allowed to vote.

Last edited:
i know its like taking science lessons from a patent clerk who didnt learn math until he was an adult.

Amy you are right. But don't say much more.
Johnny is best playing guitar and not doing anything else nor saying anything else.
He ran away when EMI were calling on the door. That takes a lot of guts that does (not.)

Very much so sadly. Not bad but never did he ever come close to reaching those heights again. Largely I think this because he's much more traditional when doing musical arrangements on his own.

I never really considered the Smiths to be a political band and am always sort of surprised when people label them as such. Marr's boasting of the Smiths (and his own) political credentials does seem a tad bit revisionist, but perhaps it has to do with wanting the legacy of the Smiths to be something other than that band that guy who supports the UKIP, thinks the UK has been destroyed by the floodgate of immigrants (while himself being the child of Irish immigrants and having immigrated now to multiple countries), and has used rather ambiguous imagery concerning skinheads and neo-Nazis started out in. Perhaps his very clear statements against UKIP, his status as the child of Irish immigrants who grew up in a vanishing multi-cultural society, and reminding us that the last Smiths gig was for an anti-South African apartheid group is a preemption against other revisionist histories.

Just a thought.

J. Marr seems like a lovely fella: level-headed, conscientious, physically fit, intellectually curious, romantically fulfilled. He's come to terms with his past and is enjoying his present (and he still wears chipped nail polish, which is just charming). His talents as a guitarist are still in evidence. The only problem is that healthy, sensible, rational people don't usually make compelling artists: whatever demons they have are held in check.

In many ways he's the opposite of Morrissey these days (except for the nail polish of course). Morrissey is all volatile and restless - a bullheadedly opinionated, philosophically rigid, emotionally scarred and embittered man whose health is continuously failing. He's still the strange, conflicted one with demons aplenty and on parade. I still find him a compelling artist.

Each still has what the other lacks.

Last edited:

Well expressed, Amy. Marr is clearly a nice bloke and can still write a catchy tune but as a lyricist he's pretty mediocre, and the singing's not great.
Still, if the album gets good reviews and there are other songs as catchy as Easy Money, I'll probably buy a copy. Go Johnny!

You are ALL right.

Marr is a great guitarist. Even now.
JM should stick to that and leave the singing and politics out of the equation as it does not suit his "style"

JM has produced some reasonable stuff, and also some great stuff.
Three or Four classic songs - nothing like The Smiths - but totally brilliant.
One brilliant track has come out, sounding just like The Smiths did, so much so that I would give it to Morrissey so that he could put down some decent lyrics and vocals onto that track and turn it into the greatest song of 2015.

But JM is not a singer.
That's why a band needs a singer and a singer who has ability and personality.
Morrissey has that now. He had it then.
Morrissey had it in his bedroom *in 1977-1980 and then in the real world...thank God we had The Smiths....
We all lived in humdrum towns, drove over the misty moors and were also scared stiff !

Don't get me wrong, JM is a fantastic guitarist, but it was SAD to see him singing with Bernard Summner and here we are now, some 20+ years later, and JM is still waiting for a decent singer.

x

Back
Top Bottom