Interesting Reddit AMA with Holocaust Survivor and Animal Rights/Vegan Activist Dr. Alex Hershaft

TheYoungest

I think this is very interesting.

Fascinating connection to the Moz, in that Dr. Hershaft answers a question about comparisons between the Holocaust and the meat industry...

Question: I have seen animal rights activists use the word 'holocaust' to describe mass animal slaughter, and I've seen other people offended by the word usage, saying it is offensive to the victims of the real Holocaust. Given the unique circumstances of your life, what's your opinion of this semantic debate?

Answer:The negative reaction is largely due to people's mistaken perception that the comparison values their lives equally with those of pigs and cows. Nothing could be farther from the truth. What we are doing is pointing to the commonality and pervasiveness of the oppressive mindset, which enables human beings to perpetrate unspeakable atrocities on other living beings, whether they be Jews, Bosnians, Tutsis, or animals. It's the mindset that allowed German and Polish neighbors of extermination camps to go on with their lives, just as we continue to subsidize the oppression of animals at the supermarket checkout counter.

Very interesting to see someone who was actually involved in the Holocaust offer their perspective. This is what I've always assumed Morrissey meant when he made the comparison.

Back
Top Bottom