New-ish fan what to buy next?

Towelie

I've been into Mozza and The Smiths for about two years now and have slowly been collected everything I could get my hands on. I'm pretty much done with The Smiths except for a couple of b-sides. I have the following Mozza albums:

Viva Hate
Your Arsenal
Bona Drag
Vauxhall and I
Maladjusted
You Are The Quarry
Ringleaders
Years Of Refusal
WPINOYB

I have yet to purchase Kill Uncle and Southpaw, which I will. I was wondering what else there is that you would consider essential listening? I'm quite intrigued by Swords, which is definitely on my list. I've also seen and heard about a lot of early singles/b-sides which weren't on Bona Drag.... is their a compilation release where I could get all of these non-album tracks in one place?

And what about other non-album tracks, bonus tracks etc?

What do you think should be my hitlist, in order of importance/essential listening?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: New-ish fan... what to buy next?

I've been into Mozza and The Smiths for about two years now and have slowly been collected everything I could get my hands on. I'm pretty much done with The Smiths except for a couple of b-sides. I have the following Mozza albums:

Viva Hate
Your Arsenal
Bona Drag
Vauxhall and I
Maladjusted
You Are The Quarry
Ringleaders
Years Of Refusal
WPINOYB

I have yet to purchase Kill Uncle and Southpaw, which I will. I was wondering what else there is that you would consider essential listening? I'm quite intrigued by Swords, which is definitely on my list. I've also seen and heard about a lot of early singles/b-sides which weren't on Bona Drag.... is their a compilation release where I could get all of these non-album tracks in one place?

And what about other non-album tracks, bonus tracks etc?

What do you think should be my hitlist, in order of importance/essential listening?

I like Beethoven was deaf & Suedehead: the best of double LP, both are pretty hard to get on vinyl now but if you're only looking for CDs then get them.

If someone is building a vinyl collection, would you recommend buying the originals or the new reissues first?

i love swords and i think you should get that before either kill uncle or southpaw which is my least fav moz album. its worth it to track down all of the unreleased b-sides and make a disk as theres a bunch that are all really good.

Good calls by Marred.

I like Swords and The Best of...not to be confused with 'The Very Best Of', which I also like, but not as much as the former ...apart from the cover..it gives me the willies.

I second marred's recommendation of My Early Burglary Years.

Beethoven Was Deaf, a live album recorded in 1992, is also essential.

The World of Morrissey and Under the Influence.

If someone is building a vinyl collection, would you recommend buying the originals or the new reissues first?

You can build up a collection pretty fast for little expense if you buy the newer releases, anything from Morrissey, singles wise, is easy to get and fairly cheap, from suedehead 88' thru to all the Attack labels etc, come as cheap as £3-5. So no rush getting those, (A few to mention circa 95-97 to get when you have the chance, are, boy racer, dagenham dave, sunny, Roy's keen, satan rejected, alma matters, interlude) Keep a look out for those. As for morrissey albums, I wouldn't bother looking into reissues yet, if I had this advice when I first started collecting, i would have found it a lot quicker, get the hard to find ones first, as near to mint as u can find, some will cost £70-100 but get them while u can, Maladjusted (Island label), Southpaw Grammar (with ltd edition booklet), Vauxhall & I, Suedehead: best double LP, Beethoven was deaf, Your Arsenal. Get all those first is my advice and build around them, even something like You are the quarry is becoming increasingly expensive.

I think swords is terrible, it's like morrisseys junk closet. Full of his worst. Beethoven is great, suedehead double LP & early burglary years has grown on my lately, some good songs like michaels bones, I'd love to, swallow on my neck, a great cover of cosmic dancer, at amber, sister I'm a poet, Jack the Ripper, ive changed my plea to guilty, nobody loves us are the pick of the bunch IMO.

The version of Jack the Ripper from that album is heavenly.

You are entitled to your opinion, but heavenly is exaggeration to me.

Live version arrangement is better than studio version.

Actually I was curious to listen to studio version so I bought The World of Morrissey.

Actually I was curious to listen to studio version so I bought The World of Morrissey.

The studio version is not on world of Morrissey

Beethoven Was Deaf should be top of your list.

You should get the HMV/Parlophone Singles 3 CD set, which makes World of Morrissey and My Early Burglary years pretty much obsolete (except some minor mix and edit differences).

Not sure why you have to try to argue with my opinion. I stand by it.

Beethoven Was Deaf should be top of your list.

You should get the HMV/Parlophone Singles 3 CD set, which makes World of Morrissey and My Early Burglary years pretty much obsolete (except some minor mix and edit differences).

I suggested Burglary because of the Southpaw B side Nobody Loves Us on it but yes you are right it's a bit pointless. Especially since that track is on the reissue of SP. Don't know what I was thinking suggesting that comp.

I do love the sleeve on My Early Burglary Years though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom