New-ish fan what to buy next?

Beethoven Was Deaf should be top of your list.

You should get the HMV/Parlophone Singles 3 CD set, which makes World of Morrissey and My Early Burglary years pretty much obsolete (except some minor mix and edit differences).

The HMV/Parlophone Singles set also sounds much better than the original singles do. There's no remaster credited (IIRC), but something must have been done.

The HMV/Parlophone Singles set also sounds much better than the original singles do. There's no remaster credited (IIRC), but something must have been done.

I have often thought the same thing whenever I play it.

I suggested Burglary because of the Southpaw B side Nobody Loves Us on it but yes you are right it's a bit pointless. Especially since that track is on the reissue of SP. Don't know what I was thinking suggesting that comp.

I do love the sleeve on My Early Burglary Years though.

A bit pointless? I disagree this is Morrissey, tincture of Moz, not maybe a best of, greatest hits thing, but the gems that are in the background, live and alternate tracks, with B sides that should have been A sides, and genius album tracks that weren't title songs but bubbled under. A perfect Morrissey introduction for someone who's never got it. Even the cover is class.

A bit pointless? I disagree this is Morrissey, tincture of Moz, not maybe a best of, greatest hits thing, but the gems that are in the background, live and alternate tracks, with B sides that should have been A sides, and genius album tracks that weren't title songs but bubbled under. A perfect Morrissey introduction for someone who's never got it. Even the cover is class.

I meant pointless for someone looking for a few odd tracks they may be missing. Life is pointless, but I'm still aren't I?

- - - Updated - - -

If you are after vinyl compilations these are 2 of the best options IMHO.

Morrissey+-+(1997)+Suedehead+The+Best+Of+Morrissey.jpg

1304019824_the-very-best-of-morrissey.jpg

i would go with swords before any live or comp album. as was said before theres a lot of overlap and much to buy for just a couple of songs (just download them). if you liked quarry then i would go with swords as most are from that era

They are all essential:D But priority wise , after purchasing all the official albums(buy the originals first, especially Southpaw)I would buy the HMV singles collection, then Beethoven, then Swords. But it's all good, man:cool:

Also, while not top of the list the live Cd "Live at Earl's Court" is damned good. It's worth it for "Friday Mourning" alone. Insane version.

Last edited:
Also, while not top of the list the live Cd "Live at Earl's Court" is damned good. It's worth it for "Friday Mourning" alone. Insane version.

Absolutely. "Live at Earl's Court" is not often noted, but it's the album that finally turned Mr. A from a bemused onlooker into a rabid fan. That version of "Friday Mourning" is epic (still gives me goosebumps), and the rest of the vocals are equally powerful (despite the rather rigid production).

It's interesting reading this, ask 10 different Morrissey fans for an essential purchase opinion, get ten different equally valid answers. Basically you have to get everything with the words Morrissey or The Smiths printed on the front, welcome another lost soul.

i just dont see a lot of people aside from super fans on forums ever talk about live albums in the same way they speak of studio recordings. same with singles collections where they already have almost all of the songs so i just dont get why people would want singles collections except for the nostalgia of thinking about when they bought them as singles themselves. i just imagine that newish fans would be craving more songs they dont already know before they start looking for different versions of songs they only sorta recently know. doesnt make sense to me

They are all essential:D But priority wise , after purchasing all the official albums(buy the originals first, especially Southpaw)I would buy the HMV singles collection, then Beethoven, then Swords. But it's all good, man:cool:

And the version of "I Like You" is amazing!

Such a great live album!!

And I have it on vinyl too :)

I remember reading an interview with Morrissey a few years back where he mentioned he was in a record store in Europe somewhere flicking through the M section and he was stunned and happy to have found a vinyl copy of Earl's Court and then discovered upon flipping it over and seeing The World is Full Of Crashing Boars. I found it more amusing that he didn't already have a copy, let alone the typo.

And I have it on vinyl too :)

I remember reading an interview with Morrissey a few years back where he mentioned he was in a record store in Europe somewhere flicking through the M section and he was stunned and happy to have found a vinyl copy of Earl's Court and then discovered upon flipping it over and seeing The World is Full Of Crashing Boars. I found it more amusing that he didn't already have a copy, let alone the typo.

Would love to have it on vinyl, along with a ton of his other albums proper that I’m missing!

Despite the more eclectic set list, Earls Court has left me cold from day one. The performances feel somewhat sterile, perhaps as a result of the mix. Bob Clearmountain made the Beethoven listening experience feel more "live," like you were truly down front in the chaos. The mix on "Introducing Morrissey" is also superior: that version of "Speedway" may be the best live recording of his career.

Agree.

Back
Top Bottom