List your 15 most memorable songs

i wanna hold you hand and babys in black by the beatles. my first tape when i was like six or eight. used to walk around singing it all the time every day and it was the moment i realized that even though I had headphones on other people could only hear me singing. funny. i cant do 15

Well, I can give you three to kick off with.

First, Vivaldi's guitar concerto in D major II: Largo. When I was VERY young my mum bought me a tape player/recorder, one of those top loading portable ones that was the size of a cereal packet. Anyway, I had a few tapes of those very dark central European fairy tales and I'd listen to them constantly. Each story was preceded by this piece of music. I never found out what it was for thirty five years.

Second, and from the same era, Benny Hill's Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West) Around the time this song was number one in the UK the unions ran the place, and they would, in support of such reasonable demands as twenty-five percent pay rises, regularly turn off the power. My dad would hitch up a black and white portable TV to a car battery and we'd watch it by candlelight huddled under sleeping bags. Imagine perhaps, I dunno... Scotland on Friday morning.

Anyhoo, as the battery ran out the picture would get smaller. One of my earliest memories was watching this as the end of TOTP with a picture the size of a postage stamp.

On the face of it this song is a silly comedy record. In fact, in my opinion it is one of the very finest lyrics ever committed to vinyl. It's fiendishly clever.

Finally, a very, very personal one. We all have someone who got away, don't we? Mine was a Scottish girl. It truth it still is. Don't tell the girlfriend.

We split, then three years later she turned up again on my doorstep but with a severe mental issue. The lyric to this song really says everything about the ultimately unsuccessful struggle it was to keep her on track. I think of her every time I hear it.

"You are only coming through in waves / Your lips move, but I can't hear what your saying."

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your picks, Johnny B.

I became a Pink Floyd fan somewhat by accident.
Back in 1979, Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall" was on my Christmas list. Instead, my Mom gave me Pink Floyd's "The Wall." :thumb:

Back in 1979, Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall" was on my Christmas list. Instead, my Mom gave me Pink Floyd's "The Wall." :thumb:

That's funny!

Lol..

Justin, those are great songs and stories behind them. :)
I need to come up with my list. It's kind of floating around in my head, but I haven't had time to put enough thought into it.

sorry to hear that about chris justin. i have a similar story involving my uncle. he went kayaking in the choptank river without telling anyone before he was supposed to come over for thanksgiving and just didnt show up. hes always notoriously late so we didnt worry for a bit but they found his body twos days later. he died from hypothermia. that stuff stays with you and effects you for a long time. nice to see you still think of chris though and its not weird or anything to say that kinda stuff out loud wherever you can. helps to dispel the horror of it.

:lbf:

A Rush and a Push
Girlfriend in a Coma
Lucky Lisp
Used to be a Sweet Boy
I'm Not a Man
Little Man, What Now?
Black-eyed Susan
I'm OK By Myself
Life is a Pigsty
Hand in Glove
Girl Least Likely To
Papa Jack
Found Found Found
I Know it's Gonna Happen
Rusholme Ruffians

High Noon....Tex Ritter
Sixteen Tons....Tennesse Ernie Ford
Long Gone Lonesome Blues....Hank Williams
Long Black Veil....Lefty Frizzell
Concierto De Aranjuez, Adagio.....Rodrigo
Andalucia....John Cale
Endless Plain of Fortune....John Cale
I'm not the Loving Kind....John Cale
Guts....John Cale
Jealous Guy....John Lennon
I Found Out...John Lennon
Crying...Roy Orbison
In Dreams....Roy Orbison
Angel From Montgomery...John Prine
You Have Killed me.... Morrissey

I never get tired of these songs....this only scratches the surface.....so many good songs and so much good music.

I was going to do this list before. It's difficult and this is what jumped out at me. Whatever you listen too, enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
In no particular order of merit...

McCarthy - Should The Bible Be Banned?
Jeff Buckley - Dream Brother
The Smiths - Back To The Old House
The Carpenters - Goodbye To Love
Radiohead - Knives Out
Teenage Fanclub - Sparky's Dream
dEUS - Little Arithmetics
Insect Warfare - Enslaved By Machinery
Drive - Peephole
The Jesus And Mary Chain - Sowing Seeds