Have you ever seen a biscuit tin by moonlight?

swift eclipse

Does anyone know what this means or is referencing? It's on an official Moz tour tshirt from 1991.

Have you ever seen a biscuit tin by moonlight?

After very extensive research (Google), I have come up with this reference from (Tony) Hancock's Half Hour from the episode "The Ladies Man":

Tony's girl is not impressed about the night out..

Muriel: It wasn't much, was it. I've had better nights.

Hancock: You've seen better days too, dear.

Hancock: Have you ever seen a biscuit tin by moonlight?

Helen: No.

Hancock: It looks rather like the Taj Mahal.

http://www.tv.com/shows/hancocks-half-hour/the-ladies-man-71643/

Do you know of Tony Hancock. He was a 'superstar' comedian in the UK in the 50's/ 60's. It makes slightly more sense in my opinon if you think of a biscuit barrel (tall with a knob on the lid) rather than flat disc-shaped tin. But only slightly.

Thanks for sharing your question. I didn't know Moz had referenced that.

Last edited:
Morrissey's friend Howard Devoto from Buzzcocks, Magazine, and Luxuria must have nicked the above reference as well, as in their 1990 single "The Beast Box is Dreaming," there's a line:

Freemasons talk about it all the time,
their hands at funny angles -
in moonlight, it resembles a biscuit tin
that dangles.

Moz and Devoto were still fairly close around this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
After very extensive research (Google), I have come up with this reference from (Tony) Hancock's Half Hour from the episode "The Ladies Man":

Tony's girl is not impressed about the night out..

Muriel: It wasn't much, was it. I've had better nights.

Hancock: You've seen better days too, dear.

Hancock: Have you ever seen a biscuit tin by moonlight?

Helen: No.

Hancock: It looks rather like the Taj Mahal.

http://www.tv.com/shows/hancocks-half-hour/the-ladies-man-71643/

Do you know of Tony Hancock. He was a 'superstar' comedian in the UK in the 50's/ 60's. It makes slightly more sense in my opinon if you think of a biscuit barrel (tall with a knob on the lid) rather than flat disc-shaped tin. But only slightly.

Thanks for sharing your question. I didn't know Moz had referecned that.

Well, I clearly need to brush up on my Google skills because I tried and I failed, but you succeeded and I'm grateful! Thank you, Tingle3.

My question was inspired by a recent post on this site by Russ Seekatz who printed the Sing Your Life zine with David back in the day.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/132783-Morrissey-1991-2006-Tour-T-Shirt-Collection-For-Sale

There is an ebay link to pics of the shirt that has this quote on it. Sorry, I can't figure out how to post the pic. (Not very good at interwebbin' am I?!)

I remember seeing this shirt at concerts back then, but had forgotten until I saw it again here. No internet to look up stuff like this in 1991. The dark ages.

Thanks for helping me fit another piece into the puzzle that is our man Moz. Always stealing, like a genius according to Wilde.

Bleh.

Back
Top Bottom