Scottish independence referendum, 2014 - Will it pass? Will Scotland be an independent country?

Scottish independence referendum, 2014 - Will it pass? Will Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
If so let's hope they draft a constitution that lays out a separation of church and state. Nix the Claim of Right. If they are going to do it, do it right. Become a more fully realized democracy.

Last edited:
I really hope Scottish voters will make a right decision.

"Yes" vote will only lead more bureaucracy and negative impact on economy.

I hope not, because the yes campaign is being driven by people who just want be the ones who did the thing that all the Scottish folk heroes couldn't, just to stick it to the bloody English, without a care for what comes next. To go down in history as the ones who gained independence for Scotland is all that Salmond and the like are interested in, and it's the same on the no side "not on my watch", who wants to be primeminister for the break up of the union, history won't smile on any other achievement you might make. It'll cost the ordinary folk dear and I hope they're not so bloody minded they can't see it.

Last edited:
I love Scotland. It's none of my business to have an opinion, as it won't affect me in the slightest. I just want to keep going back and seeing new beautiful places.

P.

I don't know any English people who really want the Scots to stay. The grievance culture is strong up there, and many English have grown tired of it.

If I had to wager a pound (or a poond) on it I'd guess a no. The yes campaign haven't managed to answer the big questions.

Today's polls show as much as an eight percent lead for either side and seem to indicate some respondents are fibbing. As parts of the yes campaign has been simple, good old fashioned anglophobia I think its more likely no voters polled are saying yes for a quiet life ahead of the voting booth. The very outer edges of the yes campaign are exactly the sort of people we see tooling around east Ukraine and Syria at the moment causing mayhem.

That said, I don't care if they stay or go. There are certain advantages to England, none greater than the disastrous effect it'll have on Labour. That would be fun.

Regardless, England will be fine.

I'm old enough to remember the last time Matt Groening was funny. Season ten.

If Texas ever decides to secede I hope the Doctor exhorts them to do so. I doubt that would happen though, as British television is far too sensible to poke its nose unbidden into the affairs of others.

Next week Apu demands war with Pakistan over Kashmir. Oh, no, wait. That won't happen. Drop dead Groaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
why can other countries survive on there own but not scottland?

Let's not be naive. If the vote somehow passes, there's going to be some troubles.
This won't be a "velvet divorce"

I have no opinion on the vote, whether Scotland should stay or go, but given that they have their own Parliament and laws and such, how much of this vote is bona fide and how much is symbolic ?

We live in a strange world. Countries wanna become independent while at the same time we want to work together with the EU and be part of NATO and so on. This all started with the old Yugoslavia and after they split up what they had others followed. Spain must be the next country to be split up after Scotland becomes their own little place. For me it is all about small countries having loads of politicians who see a way of gaining more power in their own small little pond.

It'd be much more than symbolic. Having a Parliament and having a slightly different law tradition is one thing, but becoming independent it's a totally different story. There's a difference between federalism, if you can call it federalism in the UK, and independence.

It may have impact on the UK and the EU. Think of Catalonia, Northern Ireland etc. Scotland would be out of the EU and the UK. They will have to negotiate EU-membership and the pound won't be their currency any longer.

Probably a no-vote is a bit more likely. Not sure what's better for Scotland. But it's up for them to decide and it's right that they can leave, if they want to.

I love Scotland. It's none of my business to have an opinion, as it won't affect me in the slightest. I just want to keep going back and seeing new beautiful places.

P.

I've never been, but the pictures I've seen...enchanting almost. I'd love to live there one day. You are so lucky to be so close.

P.

It will affect you in the sense that you will have a Conservative government 100% of the time without them. Not that we have much different now but...

I know a "yes" vote will make most of my Scottish family happy, however, for them it is defo more a symbolic thing, since they don't live there and only visit :straightface:
still, I am selfish, if a "yes" vote would make my mother smile then I am all for it :thumb:
after that though, my wish would be for some kind of rapprochement on a slightly different footing :o
to me the unity of Great Britain is what makes it great and I would hate to see that destroyed
but hey, having an American heart and Scottish blood, almost anybody, anywheres yearning for independence stirs something within I simply cannot put into words :blushing:
also, I have recently been affected by watching a TV show
Outlander-TV_series-2014.jpg

in it, the characters are often speaking Gaelic, a language I know little of, but have always yearned to learn
to be honest, as I sit in my weekly Chinese language class, which I am learning to better communicate here
I often find myself wishing I could throw myself into learning Mandarin with just some of the passion I have when I hear the lovely language of my ancestors...

It will affect you in the sense that you will have a Conservative government 100% of the time without them. Not that we have much different now but...

might just be the thing England, Wales & "Northern Ireland"? need for a while, to really shake things up
I mean let's face it, the last couple of Labor lead government were lead by worthless scum who really could give a shit about anybody but those in the middle
"left leaning" in name only really
kind of like the losers that purport to be represent the middle & working class in the USA, but really are just shills for Wall Street scum when push comes to shove
both the USA and UK seem to need a massive top to down house cleaning, perhaps this vote in Scotland is at least a first step in that direction :confused::o
better than the madness going on in the USA, my country, one I miss, but whose politics make it hard for me to want to even visit :sick:
let alone ever live in it again again :cool:
here in China, one party rule is a, kind of, problem, but progress and growth are constants I see all around me
except, of course, when it comes to pollution control, they have gone mad for all buying cars here in Chengdu :crazy:
if anything drives me out of this place, it will be that :tears:

Last edited:
might just be the thing England, Wales & "Northern Ireland"? need for a while, to really shake things up
I mean let's face it, the last couple of Labor lead government were lead by worthless scum who really could give a shit about anybody but those in the middle
"left leaning" in name only really
kind of like the losers that purport to be represent the middle & working class in the USA, but really are just shills for Wall Street scum when push comes to shove
both the USA and UK seem to need a massive top to down house cleaning, perhaps this vote in Scotland is at least a first step in that direction :confused::o
better than the madness going on in the USA, my country, one I miss, but whose politics make it hard for me to want to even visit :sick:
let alone ever live in it again again :cool:
here in China, one party rule is a, kind of, problem, but progress and growth are constants I see all around me
except, of course, when it comes to pollution control, they have gone mad for all buying cars here in Chengdu :crazy:
if anything drives me out of this place, it will be that :tears:

The Conservative Party here are the ones that share your (country's) politics the most, they strive to make us more like you. I've seen a lot of people here (Tory voters) saying it will be great to see the back of the Labour Party but we don't have enough democracy as it is, to devalue that further can't be a good thing for anyone. Unless of course your politics is a one party state with the core dogma of Corporate greed. This is more or less what we have already mind, just with two and a bit parties.

what goes on in the USA & UK is not democracy, but its perversion

to devalue that further can't be a good thing for anyone
unless, of course, what the "UK" needs cannot be done by the ballot box alone or electing another group of lying politicians
what appears to be necessary is something more like a
8_zps39eb7d0d.jpg

:guitar:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom