Scottish independence referendum, 2014 - Will it pass? Will Scotland be an independent country?

Scottish independence referendum, 2014 - Will it pass? Will Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
Based on a ring round of voters called first last week, then tonight after the polls closed. It's still early, so let's see, but yes representatives all have faces like smacked arses.

This has been a brilliant exercise in democracy. I wonder just how many no votes are as a direct response of the excesses of a very few yes nutters.

Westminster needs a massive kick in the balls. Of course, the irony here is that if the country as a whole turned out in the same number as the Scots have today, and with the same vim and vigour, many of the issues which face us here would likely be if not solved, at least not swept under the carpet.

Yes, it is impressive. Americans should take note as well.

The SNP is little more than a vehicle for change, they won't remain the ruling party for too long if the Yes vote succeeds. Scotland can look forward to something more than the current two party state we have lived under for so long. I doubt Salmond will stick around too long. Despite what he has achieved, he is far too divisive as a man and a politician to unite the country, be it Yes or No.
That said, a record turn out for any kind of poll in the UK for donkeys years means everyone is engaged, excited, every vote relevant and completely first past the post. That's something to marvel at.

First result just in: Clackmannanshire - 54% No / 46% Yes (88% turnout)

(This result reflects YouGov's latest opinion poll results, nationally.)

:)

Look how old we've all become, talking about politics in a small country with no or little power instead of debating the latest pop records.

Victory for NO and the Union Jack is flying proudly here in Sweden. Tomorrow we wake up with Britain intact.

^^^^^
Sheep allowed to vote. Cameron is in hot pursuit, says he will hunt them down to the 'gates of hell' and quotes liberally from "Yes, I Am Blind"

I know you guys don't take stock in this, but all my "signs" scream fraud.

I know you guys don't take stock in this, but all my "signs" scream fraud.

It's certainly true election fraud has increased in the UK in recent years but that has mostly been the province of our Asian friends from the sub-continent taking advantage of Labour's postal voting policy. A few have been imprisoned. Five guys named Mo sort of thing.

I've only heard of one seemingly rather amateur attempt to commit voter fraud last night, affecting ten votes or so. The polis are looking into it.

The truth, uncomfortable as it may be, is that the UK, for all its faults, is a stable, peaceful democracy. Two million Scots decided that was worth preserving. If the Nats had made their case they would have won. They didn't. Too heavy on the Braveheart.

Next up is the Scotland versus England match at Celtic Park on November 18th, then England visist Murrayfield in February. Both matches might well sell out. In about three seconds.

Last edited:
The people--the majority anyhow--have spoken. True democracy in action. Pretty exciting to witness--even from a distance.

union_jack_small.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom