Post your First World Problems right here

On the eve of my mini-vacay, I'm sad that the last three trips to the plentifully stocked store, I've failed to acquire a package of tiny rolls of plastic baggies so my dog's pooh can be forever immortalized in various California landfills. And all my good shorts are dirty so I have to wake up early and do laundry.

- - - Updated - - -

Normally there's a newspaper in the stalls at work (for reading when nature calls). Today there was no paper. FML

I read in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader once that the two most bacterial-infested items a person can touch are a bathroom reader (or a bathroom newspaper) and a remote control.

Gave the hallway its second coat of white paint yesterday. It is going to need another coat. :(

"...I see strip malls from sea to shining sea".:paranoid:

Last edited by a moderator:
"...I see strip malls from sea to shining sea".:paranoid:

You have made some very interesting remarks and observations. Your views are real and tinted in a dark frustrating fashion. They give me plenty to ponder.

Yesterday, I talked to someone who was obviously struggling, by his mannerism and look. I off the cuff said, "plying the tough road, huh". He let out a sigh like he had been waiting for someone to notice so he could let it out. He said he has a high functioning spectrum disorder autistic child who had just been placed on an involuntary psychiatric hold and is now at the hospital. He said he was trying to figure out what to do. Because I don't know what that is like as a parent, I just tried to be loving and calming. I told him I have to believe that everyone involved and setting up the standards and rules for that type of stuff had to at least be doing it from a place of good intention. And although he may not see that good intention now, it was not meant to just plain mess his life up. That maybe he will get a different type of help now that he had not sought before. I told him that I assume his situation would make me angry as well but once the wheels start turning on these type of things, you just have to ride it until it stops. Its bigger than him and he will only be frustrated that he doesn't have the power to stop it. I told him to stay strong for his family and work with the people who are evaluating his child. He responded well to this and it looked like a weight had been lifted. He thanked me and said he thinks his day with that perspective will be better.

Our first world problems have a price I suppose. The reality tv, borders, politics, progress, are the price maybe? I have been to a third world country, it aint pretty, and its hard to find pretty. I find a lot of pretty here, so I keep my personal disdain in check.

Last edited:
You have made some very interesting remarks and observations. Your views are real and tinted in a dark frustrating fashion. They give me plenty to ponder.

Yesterday, I talked to someone who was obviously struggling, by his mannerism and look. I off the cuff said, "plying the tough road, huh". He let out a sigh like he had been waiting for someone to notice so he could let it out. He said he has a high functioning spectrum disorder autistic child who had just been placed on an involuntary psychiatric hold and is now at the hospital. He said he was trying to figure out what to do. Because I don't know what that is like as a parent, I just tried to be loving and calming. I told him I have to believe that everyone involved and setting up the standards and rules for that type of stuff had to at least be doing it from a place of good intention. And although he may not see that good intention now, it was not meant to just plain mess his life up. That maybe he will get a different type of help now that he had not sought before. I told him that I assume his situation would make me angry as well but once the wheels start turning on these type of things, you just have to ride it until it stops. Its bigger than him and he will only be frustrated that he doesn't have the power to stop it. I told him to stay strong for his family and work with the people who are evaluating his child. He responded well to this and it looked like a weight had been lifted. He thanked me and said he thinks his day with that perspective will be better.

Our first world problems have a price I suppose. The reality tv, borders, politics, progress, are the price maybe? I have been to a third world country, it aint pretty, and its hard to find pretty. I find a lot of pretty here, so I keep my personal disdain in check.
Yes...I think the person that started this thread was poking gentle fun at the minor problems of us that live in the First World. I don't have a problem with that....we have a lot to be thankful for and our problems are trivial in comparison.

I'm just pointing out the price that is paid for our "progress" as you said. This song and video by Tom Russell came out many years ago and it still applies. It's interesting that some of Morrissey's biggest fans are Latino and Mexican. My wife is Hispanic and for many years I was the only one in the house that couldn't speak the language. I have an affinity for immigrants.

Autism is something that we here In America seem to be experiencing more than any where else and it may be tied into the food supply and what we've done to it. You did what you could for that person.

Yes, there is a dark frustration in the way I look at things. Maybe if I didn't have kids or grandkids I wouldn't care as much. One thing I refuse to do is give up....What's happening to us is something worth pondering, for sure.

My coffee tastes like bong water this morning. :squiffy:

"Crazy people walkin' round with blood in their eyes
And all she wants to do is dance, dance
Wild-eyed pistol wavers who ain't afraid to die
And all she wants to do is-
All she wants to do is dance and make romance
She can't feel the heat comin' off the street
She wants to party
She wants to get down
All she wants to do is dance
All she wants to do is dance"

"Crazy people walkin' round with blood in their eyes
And all she wants to do is dance, dance
Wild-eyed pistol wavers who ain't afraid to die
And all she wants to do is-
All she wants to do is dance and make romance
She can't feel the heat comin' off the street
She wants to party
She wants to get down
All she wants to do is dance
All she wants to do is dance"

I know a girl, a girl called Party, Party girl
I know she wants more than a party, Party girl
And she won't tell me her name, oh no, not me

I know a girl, a girl called Party, Party girl
I know she wants more than a party, Party girl
And she won't tell me her name, oh no, not me
Speaking of which...How do you like the new U2 album?

Any First World problems there?

Speaking of which...How do you like the new U2 album?

Any First World problems there?

Have not listened to it. Not a U2 fan. Liked all their albums up until The Joshua Tree. Saw them in concert that same year. Have not been a listener of their stuff since the late 80s. What do you think of it?

Have not listened to it. Not a U2 fan. Liked all their albums up until The Joshua Tree. Saw them in concert that same year. Have not been a listener of their stuff since the late 80s. What do you think of it?
I just downloaded it from the Cloud. Apple put it there....haven't listened yet.
Many people have complained about that. I guess they want their money back:straightface:

Sounds like a first world problem.

well there are many benefits to being autistic ill say. i wouldnt trade my autism for anything but i guess i just hit the sweet spot on the spectrum. my biggest concerns about being autistic is having to deal with peoples expectations. autism doesnt mean sociopathic or being unaware but i run into that all the time and the anger that this causes in me is, just to reiterate the problem, gets chalked up to oh he has autism.

Iphone 6 or Iphone6 plus?

I dont care, I live in a third world country

Yes...I think the person that started this thread was poking gentle fun at the minor problems of us that live in the First World. I don't have a problem with that....we have a lot to be thankful for and our problems are trivial in comparison.

I'm just pointing out the price that is paid for our "progress" as you said. This song and video by Tom Russell came out many years ago and it still applies. It's interesting that some of Morrissey's biggest fans are Latino and Mexican. My wife is Hispanic and for many years I was the only one in the house that couldn't speak the language. I have an affinity for immigrants.

Autism is something that we here In America seem to be experiencing more than any where else and it may be tied into the food supply and what we've done to it. You did what you could for that person.

Yes, there is a dark frustration in the way I look at things. Maybe if I didn't have kids or grandkids I wouldn't care as much. One thing I refuse to do is give up....What's happening to us is something worth pondering, for sure.

I have a theory about this. I wouldn't imagine the US have any more people with autism than anywhere else, maybe you're better at diagnosing it? Either way, I imagine certainly high functioning autism isn't such a problem in a lot of countries. It becomes more of an issue the more we're supposed to conform and the more we're supposed to fit social norms and be communicative - and the US seems to be very big on expressing yourself and being communicative. So the tighter the squeeze on these things the more people on the autism spectrum will likely struggle to the extent of getting a diagnosis. Like the person said a couple of posts ago, it's not the autism that's the problem much of the time, it's the expectations of others.

I have a theory about this. I wouldn't imagine the US have any more people with autism than anywhere else, maybe you're better at diagnosing it? Either way, I imagine certainly high functioning autism isn't such a problem in a lot of countries. It becomes more of an issue the more we're supposed to conform and the more we're supposed to fit social norms and be communicative - and the US seems to be very big on expressing yourself and being communicative. So the tighter the squeeze on these things the more people on the autism spectrum will likely struggle to the extent of getting a diagnosis. Like the person said a couple of posts ago, it's not the autism that's the problem much of the time, it's the expectations of others.
You may be right. The diagnosing, the expectations of others and putting the squeeze on kids to conform has an effect on the problem of autism. It seems to be more of a first world problem.

Our world is changing so fast these days, when I was a kid there was no autism. The technology and the things that kids are exposed to is incredible compared to a couple of generations ago. The food supply, the water and the air has changed and everybody seems to be stuck in traffic. Progress is a label that's put on it. I'm starting to feel like Leonard Cohen. I want to slow things down, take stock....where the hell are we taking this big First World?

Not to dismiss individuals who really need medication, but let's not forget the impact big pharmaceutical companies have on the apparent over-diagnosis of autism, ADHD, ADD, etc...
I have a friend whose child is on $400/month medication - so that he can focus enough to study for test and quizzes. WTF.

Not to dismiss individuals who really need medication, but let's not forget the impact big pharmaceutical companies have on the apparent over-diagnosis of autism, ADHD, ADD, etc...
I have a friend whose child is on $400/month medication - so that he can focus enough to study for test and quizzes. WTF.
Good God...yes. It's ridiculous. I've heard so many stories like this...

Big Pharma is big Bidness.

Back
Top Bottom