Post your First World Problems right here

I honestly believe that the problem is more related to a change in values than it is to capitalism.
I think many parents are failing miserably at teaching their children what is really important. There can be capitalism without this endless pursuit of consumption.
I like having all of these choices - all these things to buy, if I really want them. But I don't need them. I teach my kids that we don't need them.
Too many people believe that money+more stuff=happiness and fulfillment, and it doesn't. Not at all.

Yes....I agree. It's much tougher to be a parent today.

I some times get down on the whole scene. After Sandy Hook....I felt like maybe I'd lived too long. I taught school briefly, my wife taught...forever.

Keeping our kids and ourselves from being corrupted by our declining culture is a full time job.

I some times get down on the whole scene. After Sandy Hook....I felt like maybe I'd lived too long. I taught school briefly, my wife taught...forever.

Keeping our kids and ourselves from being corrupted by our declining culture is a full time job.

It sure is a full time job.
Three high school age kids in our community have committed suicide since the beginning of the school year.
I don't remember anything like that happening back when I was in high school - a thousand years ago.

What a great stimulating conversation and look, no blood drawn. A lot of good points here.

Blue Man,

That is because one user took this thread to a higher level...and set the tone for all that
followed.

Three high school age kids in our community have committed suicide since the beginning of the school year.
I don't remember anything like that happening back when I was in high school - a thousand years ago.

I went to my nephew's football game last night and the home team was having their Homecoming Game. There were maybe 150 people in the stands. I couldn't believe it. At my Homecoming Game it was standing room only. In my opinion the attendance is way down because they all have cell phones, so they have the instant gratification of all being linked, whereas in the old days you had to actually GO to the game to steal a glance or flirt with a boy or girl. These days they just send a message, there's no need to actually go to the game or the dance (last year his high school lost money on the homecoming dance attendance was so low.) One can imagine that if the mystery of flirting and "the chase" is taken away, it's not a far step that the need to impress upon someone an emotion ("I'm in pain, I want you to notice me in real life and not on a device.") could result in suicide. I could be wrong, but it seems like technology is becoming sort of a real problem.

It could've been more than 150, but not much more. A fifth is the band.

15117833039_b39c00c0d0_z.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly believe that the problem is more related to a change in values than it is to capitalism.
I think many parents are failing miserably at teaching their children what is really important. There can be capitalism without this endless pursuit of consumption.
I like having all of these choices - all these things to buy, if I really want them. But I don't need them. I teach my kids that we don't need them.
Too many people believe that money+more stuff=happiness and fulfillment, and it doesn't. Not at all.

My wife's uncle got a few million rich a few years ago. Afterwards his family moved into this modern mansion, they got a tennis court in the back yard, had new shite all over the place. Anyway, we visited them last year and the tennis court had gone mouldy and the rest of the shite they'd bought was now taking up two or three rooms where it'd been thrown.

It gave me a bit of a eureka moment. I always thought it'd be nice to be able to get what you want but I realised that when you get it, after a while it just becomes more stuff that you won't want anymore and won't need. Stuff and money doesn't bring happiness. Sure new things are nice in moderation but if you're always wanting something new you'll struggle to be content or happy.

Don't quite agree that for capitalism to work there doesn't need to be an endless pursuit of consumption, for capitalism to work the economy always has to grow which equals there always has to be more consumption.

On the depression and suicides bit, from the word go we're told to aspire, to want and to achieve and not achieving equals failure. Pick up a magazine or turn on the tv and it's all the same. We all set off with high hopes which gradually recede. I read about a study on some tribe somewhere with no outside influences and they were generally a very happy, satisfied bunch. Then various things were introduced to them for them to own and want. It turned out that things got a lot more complicated after that.

Don't get me wrong, I like a few things around the place to keep me occupied in a dull moment but like yourself you've got to have your values right.

What a great stimulating conversation and look, no blood drawn. A lot of good points here.

washing-machine-brick.gif

But we still need a washing machine. :(

I went to my nephew's football game last night and the home team was having their Homecoming Game. There were maybe 150 people in the stands. I couldn't believe it. At my Homecoming Game it was standing room only. In my opinion the attendance is way down because they all have cell phones, so they have the instant gratification of all being linked, whereas in the old days you had to actually GO to the game to steal a glance or flirt with a boy or girl. These days they just send a message, there's no need to actually go to the game or the dance (last year his high school lost money on the homecoming dance attendance was so low.) One can imagine that if the mystery of flirting and "the chase" is taken away, it's not a far step that the need to impress upon someone an emotion ("I'm in pain, I want you to notice me in real life and not on a device.") could result in suicide. I could be wrong, but it seems like technology is becoming sort of a real problem.

It could've been more than 150, but not much more. A fifth is the band.

15117833039_b39c00c0d0_z.jpg

You've got a really good point there, CG.

My wife's uncle got a few million rich a few years ago. Afterwards his family moved into this modern mansion, they got a tennis court in the back yard, had new shite all over the place. Anyway, we visited them last year and the tennis court had gone mouldy and the rest of the shite they'd bought was now taking up two or three rooms where it'd been thrown.

It gave me a bit of a eureka moment. I always thought it'd be nice to be able to get what you want but I realised that when you get it, after a while it just becomes more stuff that you won't want anymore and won't need. Stuff and money doesn't bring happiness. Sure new things are nice in moderation but if you're always wanting something new you'll struggle to be content or happy.

Don't quite agree that for capitalism to work there doesn't need to be an endless pursuit of consumption, for capitalism to work the economy always has to grow which equals there always has to be more consumption.

On the depression and suicides bit, from the word go we're told to aspire, to want and to achieve and not achieving equals failure. Pick up a magazine or turn on the tv and it's all the same. We all set off with high hopes which gradually recede. I read about a study on some tribe somewhere with no outside influences and they were generally a very happy, satisfied bunch. Then various things were introduced to them for them to own and want. It turned out that things got a lot more complicated after that.

Don't get me wrong, I like a few things around the place to keep me occupied in a dull moment but like yourself you've got to have your values right.

I wish there were more small businesses, instead of the big corporations. I come from a family of entrepreneurs (small business) - and it gets harder and harder every day to compete.
I think it is indeed all about values.

But we still need a washing machine. :(

I had to buy one recently. I took my old one apart and tinkered around with it- but ultimately decided it was time for it to go.
As much as I hate to admit it (because I didn't want to spend the money on something related to "chores"), I really do seriously love it. :crazy:

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate that cornelius has given this thread not one, but TWO amazing washing machine gifs?

Went to check my lottery tickets with the self scanner and it was down. FML.

But we still need a washing machine.

You've got a really good point there, CG.

I wish there were more small businesses, instead of the big corporations. I come from a family of entrepreneurs (small business) - and it gets harder and harder every day to compete.
I think it is indeed all about values.

I had to buy one recently. I took my old one apart and tinkered around with it- but ultimately decided it was time for it to go.
As much as I hate to admit it (because I didn't want to spend the money on something related to "chores"), I really do seriously love it.

This is hypnotic.
sometimes I wonder why I still come to this place :confused: and then a thread like this comes along and I remember, thanks folks :)
and just to add another 2 cents of mine, if you can bear it :o
I really do feel for parents of today, seems to me that forces outside of them now have far greater to shape and mold the youth of today
for there is a deadly duo out there threatening our existence as a species:
massive, nameless, faceless corporations that really to seem to have a life of their own which is directed by no one really, just our collective "ID" or something :crazy:
which are now teamed up with a ruling elite whose moral decay makes its unrecognizable for the once tremendously progressive "Elite" which dominated American politics & culture for about a century(Civil War to Civil Rights), people like
th
th
th
etc, etc...
have been replaced with:
gty_bush_brothers_jef_120228_wmain.jpg
and even worse
kardashian-family.jpg

*=a look at the $ driven actions of this family, which was once a power behind the Democratic party in the Midwest a mere century ago
to the now many headed hydra fed by defense contacts, oil and Wall street really is the whole sad sordid tale wrapped in one "American family"

I had to baby sit the grandkids a couple of weeks ago and while they were playing I did a little channel surfing...I don't have TV at home. I caught the Kardashians....I thought I would puke. I don't like Kanye West either.

Robby, your evolution of the of the Ruling Elite...pretty much nails it.

I wish we could flush all of it. Just because most people worship money and the superficial doesn't mean we have to....Viva Hate!

Here's a new video by Marianne Faithfull written with Roger Waters from Pink Floyd....touches on what we have been addressing a bit....

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally there's a newspaper in the stalls at work (for reading when nature calls). Today there was no paper. FML

My case of Pliny the Elder is almost gone. I think I'll stop living.

This belongs in the FML thread.
I've only heard and read reviews about Pliny the Elder- can't buy it in the Midwest. FML.
However, I do have an all grain recipe for it.... and I haven't brewed anything for six months. I think it's time!

I had to baby sit the grandkids a couple of weeks ago and while they were playing I did a little channel surfing...I don't have TV at home. I caught the Kardashians....I thought I would puke. I don't like Kanye West either.

Robby, your evolution of the of the Ruling Elite...pretty much nails it.
thanks :) & in reading back, sounds like MozRecording has got it rough :eek:

Back
Top Bottom